Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• simonej

Is this a good deal?

I’m quite close to changing my MY15 D4 for an HSE D5 with the 2.0 litre petrol engine. The deal I’m looking at is with Inchcape and roughly the following:

£6995 deposit
    £569 per month over 48 months
    8000 miles per year

It’s for a base model HSE with no extra options, metallic and privacy adds about £30p/m.

So is this a decent deal? It seems much better than when I was looking this time last year but just wondering whether any of you chaps have managed to achieve significantly better?

I suppose another question would be whether the petrol engine is actually any good as well? (I don’t tow).

Cheers!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

So that’s £34,307 for 4 years or £8,576 per year, driving at a limit of 32k miles over the whole time? Do you get anything back if you don’t purchase it outright at the end of term?

I’ve never purchased a car like that, I accept I am in the minority, but based on that sort of cost, it appears a lot of money, I’d rather drive about on a moped I’d purchased for cash tbh.
  • simonej

Yes, that is effectively the cost over the four years - assuming you hand the car back at the end of the deal with no equity remaining in the vehicle.

Whether you use PCP finance or buy outright the annual costs are high! I’m assuming as you’re on this forum you’re a D5 owner - you realise when you come to trade it in that you’ll have taken a similarly large annual hit from the depreciation? It’s just with PCP you pay 4.9% interest for the privilege of losing huge sums of money. Very Happy

I’m not having a go, it’s just that my father says exactly the same thing to me completely ignoring the fact that his HSE Lux that he paid for in cash is costing him similar amounts in depreciation every year.
  • TechnoTurkey
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

If that is the first deal they have offered then you can probably get it for a little less, I'd be saying that I was hoping to get it under £500 a month and see if they can move it a bit nearer to that.

They have discounts on the price and also the ability to move to a lower interest rate as well usually.

It doesn't seem that expensive but we don't know the year of the vehicle or the forecourt price.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Oh yes, I know the depreciation of the car are very high. I managed a discount on a new stock car of 18% or so, off the top of my head, so that defrayed some of the cost, but the car, which isn’t a year old, has taken a hit. Somehow if find it more acceptable.

The D3 I purchased in 2008, I got an amazing discount on, time of the financial crisis. Think it cost me £22k. Had it 4 years and got £18k for it as a trade in.

I also had a new 2012 D4. Cost me £43k, nearly 4 years later I got £28k for it as a trade in plus a good discount on the new car. I don’t think it will work out like that on the D5.

Just £8.5k per years seems like a lot of dosh, but so long as you can live with it, that’s all that matters.
  • simonej

It’s actually Guy Salmon who are matching the deal of Inchcape, although they did it without any haggling so it does suggest there may be some room for a better deal (although it came with the usual ‘we never normally discount this much’ and ‘special deal for a local customer’ etc....).

It’s a brand new, made to order car with £4500 of dealer discount and £2000 FDA so £6500 off in total from a £60k list price.

Dangerdave; wish I could get those kind of deals but I never have that kind of luck! Very Happy
  • simonej

I suppose I should also add that the sticking point for me is the trade in price on my D4. Down from 28.5k back in November to 24k offered yesterday. Ouch.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

If it is a brand new car built to order, you could take the car configurator printout to another dealer and see what they will do. That's what I did, then the first dealer called to ask when I'd come in to sign the paperwork and I told them I had a better offer. Without telling the first dealer by how much the 2nd dealer was cheaper, they ended up giving me about 12% discount off list price. I thought that was a fair deal.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

How old is your D4? Try advertising it on Tootle for dealer bids. I sold my 440i on there to a BMW dealer, one of seven bidders, for about 15-20% more than the best trade in I was offered versus a D5 or X5.

Be careful with their maximum suggested pricing. I wanted to start above their suggested band and had to play around to find what the maximum price I could put was. Once I had that, all but the first bid were in excess of the starting price, which in itself was perhaps £1.5k above the suggested band.

As for the deal. I managed 11% off the HSE Luxury

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Edited to add. My 11% was a q1 deal, as we ended up adjusting and signing in q2 it comes out as 13% including contribution. HSE lux SDV6 with about £6k of options iirc.

If you haven’t tried carwow already then give it a try. My best deal there was 9% or so and I worked up from there.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Yes, I was lucky with the D5 deal. A new stock car, that was probably the difference.

I emailed all the dealers in the country, copy and paste, unlike other times, I didn’t have a trade in so it made it simple. It was Guy Salmon in Stockport I got the car from. I flew from the Highlands to Manchester airport, they picked me up, I collected the car and drove home up the M6.

I screwed a full tank of diesel off them, rubber car mats and enough sparkling spring water to see me home. I wasn’t going to get anything else.

I took their finance deal, I think they knew what I was doing and they tried to gently dissuade me from doing it, but I got a good LR deposit contribution and within 24 hours, I’d paid it off. Think it cost me £6 in interest.

And that ladies and gentlemen is the only time I’ve been south of the border in the last 5 or 6 years. Laughing
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

great way to bag an extra discount...

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Yes, if you were to use their HP at 6.9% or whatever it is, get the deposit allowance, can be quite considerable, then pay it off. They can’t reclaim it under their small print. I suppose the percentage of those doing it that way is very small, so they don’t bother.

Also you have to borrow a minimum of £15k. Don’t think there’s a minimum term. I had it on paper at 12 months.

If you don’t have the cash, borrow it from a bank. I think my one does it for 2.9%, either way, pay the LR finance off and that’s it.

You have 7 days to cancel the finance and you just pay for the time you have it. No consumer rights attached to Black Horse if you do it that way.

After 7 days, but before 28, you can pay it off, but they take a months interest, think I was told it was somewhere over £100, but you retain rights to have the HP company, Black Horse, represent you if you want to reject the vehicle or have problems with it.

As for the actual act of cancelling, you phone then up and pay it off by Switch, no argument and all very easy, done within a minute or two,
  • milesg
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

I haggle and haggle until they say there is absolutely nothing left in the car, then I get some mats and a teddy for the kids thrown in!

I managed to get the APR on a used down to 4.9%, 10% off the price of the car, 2 extra years warranty (on top of the 2 for a used LR @50% off list price), rubbers mats all round, full tank of fuel. Then the teddy and a LR umbrella for me.

Keep haggling. Don't feel bad, they have room, and you have a wide market to look at.

HSE Lux in Silver / Black
  • simonej

So I guess the gist of this is that it’s not a bad deal but better should be available with haggling?

It’s a published deal on the Inchcape website so I’d hope there is room for improvement.

I’ve had a look at the website that sells to dealers but I’ll try and get a better deal from LR first.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum