Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• simonej

How’s the 2.0 petrol engine?

As per the title, how’s the petrol to drive? Getting close to a deal but can’t find one nearby to test drive so it’s going to be a bit of ‘hope for the best’!

I’d prefer the six-pot diesel but the residuals are much weaker than the petrol and make it more expensive per month. We don’t tow and generally I love thrashing a petrol up to the red line but not sure if it will suit a big, heavy Disco. The four cylinder diesel is awful and I can’t stand the power delivery and sluggish throttle response, it makes my D4 feel responsive and sharp!

Cheers!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I cannot imagine what it would be like in a large heavy car like the D5.
    You do not want to be driving something that could be awful and you regret it every time you drive it just to save a few pounds. IMHO
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

If you can get a decent 3 litre Si6 supercharged, then I would go for that over the 2 litre petrol. Thumbs Up

I have not driven the 2 litre petrol, but have owned the 3 litre Td6 diesel and had the 2 litre as a courtesy car. Both engines were the older 2017 variants, not the new ingenium lumps.

Needless to say the 2 litre had to be worked quite a bit harder than the 3 litre, especially when towing a heavy trailer uphill.

The 3 litre was alot smoother and more powerful in comparison. Could not even tell we were towing.

Am hedging my bets and saying the same will POSSIBLY apply to the petrol variants.

I think you will end up frying the 2 litre engine if you are going to thrash it, as I think its underpowered for such a big car. The 3 litre will take more of a beating in my opinion.

Not as if I have ever thrashed the car though Whistle

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • simonej

There’s no doubting that a six cylinder is sweeter and the better option for a car this size, or any size for that matter! I haven’t owned a four cylinder car for 15 years - always 6, 8 and 5 when I had a Volvo.

But, due to my budget, it’s either the petrol four or nothing at all. It can’t be that bad, can it? It should be a lot smoother and virtually silent compared to the diesels?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I agree, the bigger the engine the better. Less strain having to rev the engine if your driving a piddly little 1 litre compared too a 2 litre especially if your carrying passengers and a boot full of gear.

In theory the bigger engine should last longer than the smaller one. At the end of the day, it's not about the engine size, it's all about the bhp the engine has.

Diesel wise I will be honest and say that I can hardly tell the difference between the diesel and petrol, as the diesel is really quiet. The Si6 on start up is quite loud initially on start up like someone is revving it, but after 10 secs goes really quiet. I am not sure if this is related to the supercharger though?

I think the new 2 litre is 300bhp so am sure it will be more than capable as you don't tow. (The 3 litre is 340 bhp in comparison with 0-60 time of 6.9secs). Not sure if the 2 litre is supercharged or what it's 0-60 time is though.

I have seen that the 3 litre is good for 400 bhp with it being maxxed out too 444 bhp if you get it remapped. Maybe remapping could be an option for you later on, improving the 0-60 time and mid range poke. Good for a safe overtake.

However I don't think the D5 is meant for speed and it does have a fair bit of body roll on the country roads if pushed hard. Noticed the boat like ride on the 20s. Thankfully went for the 22s, so being a wider track and less of a side wall, it's virtually flat when cornering, far less body roll compared to the 20s.

Hmmmm maybe your better off getting a saloon like an Subaru or an Evo too thrash about to your hearts content as well as the D5.

Bomb proof engines. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 5th Jun 2019 10:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • simonej

I’ve got a TVR for thrashing about the country lanes so I can still get my V8 fix! Very Happy

0-60 on the 2.0 petrol is something like 7.3 seconds so it’s certainly no slouch. Apparently the torque is available from 1500rpm as well so it has the feel of the diesels, unlike the V6 petrol where peak torque is much further up the rev range. On paper the numbers look perfectly adequate so I’m tempted to just go for it. That’s if I can get the deal I’m after - we’re about £1500 apart at the moment!
  • milesg
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

[quote=In theory the bigger engine should last longer than the smaller one. At the end of the day, it's not about the engine size, it's all about the bhp the engine has. =quote]

It is the torque figure that is more applicable for something this heavy. You need something that will get things moving, but the torque is what keeps it going and gets it going quicker when you're already moving.

I was lent a 2ltr petrol when my RRS was in, I found it a little too revvy (small engine, big turbos to try and get it going) and it didn't feel like a Disco. It felt slightly rough and like someone had swapped the engine. TBH I have only come from V8's and V6 TD's so I was not used to the drive.

If I was you, get to the dealer and drive one. See what you think. Enjoy your purchase pal Thumbs Up [/b]

HSE Lux in Silver / Black
  • TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

I've had a 2-litre petrol for a year and, although I don't do a huge amount of mileage, have found the engine to be more than adequate. It's quick of the mark, which surprises a few folk, and handles 80mph cruising on motorways in Europe fine. Nice and quiet too. MPG usually is about 23 around town and 28 on motorways.

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • Lotusdmc
    United Kingdom 

I've just ordered a si4 Hse Lux, after two extensive test drives I can say that the low down torque was a pleasant surprise. We are trading up from a D4 sdv6. There is no doubt the sdv6 is a great engine and bags loads more torque, however the si4 exceeded my expectations for a 2.0 petrol. We also ragged it a bit and it had an impressive turn of speed. However the extra torque of the sdv6 in the D4 makes it 'feel' quicker although it is not.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    I agree, the bigger the engine the better. Less strain having to rev the engine if your driving a piddly little 1 litre compared too a 2 litre especially if your carrying passengers and a boot full of gear.

In theory the bigger engine should last longer than the smaller one. At the end of the day, it's not about the engine size, it's all about the bhp the engine has.

Diesel wise I will be honest and say that I can hardly tell the difference between the diesel and petrol, as the diesel is really quiet. The Si6 on start up is quite loud initially on start up like someone is revving it, but after 10 secs goes really quiet. I am not sure if this is related to the supercharger though?

I think the new 2 litre is 300bhp so am sure it will be more than capable as you don't tow. (The 3 litre is 340 bhp in comparison with 0-60 time of 6.9secs). Not sure if the 2 litre is supercharged or what it's 0-60 time is though.

I have seen that the 3 litre is good for 400 bhp with it being maxxed out too 444 bhp if you get it remapped. Maybe remapping could be an option for you later on, improving the 0-60 time and mid range poke. Good for a safe overtake.

However I don't think the D5 is meant for speed and it does have a fair bit of body roll on the country roads if pushed hard. Noticed the boat like ride on the 20s. Thankfully went for the 22s, so being a wider track and less of a side wall, it's virtually flat when cornering, far less body roll compared to the 20s.

Hmmmm maybe your better off getting a saloon like an Subaru or an Evo too thrash about to your hearts content as well as the D5.

Do you experience any steering issues on the 22”?
    I was test driving a D5 with 22s last week on a road I regularly use, which is heavily rutted (lorries) and I found the extra width of the tyres was causing me to have to do more steering corrections compared to my D4 with 20”. At times I was having to firmly hold the steering wheel to stop it moving up and down the rut ‘walls’ which was surprisingly tiring.
    Should add, nothing wrong with car (though tyres had 14k on them) as on resurfaced , better roads it was a dream.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

the wider the tyre the greater the "tramlining"

I have to admit I prefer the looks of the cars with 22", but am quite content with my 20" sicne it's made almost 12,000 miles so far without being kerbed. the considerably taller side walls pretty much keep the rim away from kerbs.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

everyone goes on about 22's being to low, but as the 20" tyres are 255/55/20, these have a side wall of 5.5", the 22's are 285/40x22 and the sidewall is 4.5", so there is only an inch in it.

And I havent found my 22's tramline at all, but I did find 275/45x20's on my D4 did.

Sometimes its down to the tread pattern.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

just had to go off and look my old one up Smile

I had 255/40 x 20 on my Volvo, seems the sidewall was 4" high. every one of my alloys on that car was unfortunately kerbed and stayed like it when it was p/x at 5.5 years old (having bought it as new at 0.5 years old)

My issue would have been on the Disco, black wheels will show kerbing far more than silver did. Not that I had a real choice over wheels since it wasnt new, and from reading I think I would prefer the way those with 22" wheels handle and ride compared to those with 20"

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

milesg wrote:
    [quote=In theory the bigger engine should last longer than the smaller one. At the end of the day, it's not about the engine size, it's all about the bhp the engine has. =quote]

It is the torque figure that is more applicable for something this heavy. You need something that will get things moving, but the torque is what keeps it going and gets it going quicker when you're already moving.

I was lent a 2ltr petrol when my RRS was in, I found it a little too revvy (small engine, big turbos to try and get it going) and it didn't feel like a Disco. It felt slightly rough and like someone had swapped the engine. TBH I have only come from V8's and V6 TD's so I was not used to the drive.

If I was you, get to the dealer and drive one. See what you think. Enjoy your purchase pal Thumbs Up [/b]

Correct sir, with regards too torque, hence the diesel units are favoured when it comes too towing rather than the petrol ones, due too them having more low down torque than petrol engines.

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Wolfpack wrote:
    Road Runner 2017 wrote:

Do you experience any steering issues on the 22”?
    I was test driving a D5 with 22s last week on a road I regularly use, which is heavily rutted (lorries) and I found the extra width of the tyres was causing me to have to do more steering corrections compared to my D4 with 20”. At times I was having to firmly hold the steering wheel to stop it moving up and down the rut ‘walls’ which was surprisingly tiring.
    Should add, nothing wrong with car (though tyres had 14k on them) as on resurfaced , better roads it was a dream.

Never had steering issues with the 22's tramlining, plus tyres only have around 9k on them.
    Asked the Mrs, who uses it alot more than I do, and she has never had any issues either.
    Could it be that different tyre brands behave differently due too tread patterns? I do know that low profile tyres, overinflated tyres, and run flats can suffer from tramlining due to the stiffer sidewalls not being able to flex alot, thereby can't absorb the shock from the road surface as much as a say 18 inch tyre with a bigger tyre wall can. Cars with lowered suspension are also more vulnerable apparently.
    The only time i ever suffered on my car was when the 4 tyres were needing replaced, just as car was nearing 3 years old. Handled like a jelly on a plate even though it was AWD.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 21st Sep 2019 8:24 pm. Edited 4 times in total

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum