Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Yorkietiger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Adblue top up

As I am embarking on a long trip with the caravan next week across Europe I thought I would check the DEF level this morning. It said 4163 miles to fill up, so as I will be working the car quite hard with the caravan I topped it up, put about 2 litres in, as I did not know how much 4163 miles worth would be left in the tank.

After topping up, I took the car out and then checked the level again. It still said 4163 miles! Does this value need manually resetting or is supposed to reset itself?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

It should reset itself.....but if a top up was required, it should also say "Max refill = xx Litres"

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

It takes quite a lot, I usually buy a 10 litre container from Halfords and it all goes in! Thumbs Up
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I wouldn’t top it up unless it says you can put so many litres in. Not sure working the car hard makes a difference to consumption.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Be very careful when topping up, If you overfill, it can cause an error on the system and require draining and possibly a trip to dealer to reset.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Yorkietiger, if you car is a 17my, you dont get a warning until down 1500 miles till no restarts, at 18my the service menu was updated to give a count down and an indication of number of litres to fill when its 5 or more litres. I wait till it says 10 litres to refill then buy a 10 litre container from halfords and pour the lot in, the tank should have a total volume of about 18 litres from memory. When towing my Tdv6 uses adblu at about twice rate as driving solo. 17my need the dealer to tell how much is required to fill I'm afraid.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Dangerdave wrote:
    I wouldn’t top it up unless it says you can put so many litres in. Not sure working the car hard makes a difference to consumption.

Really? It is no different to topping up your washer fluid.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Agreed, just brim it. You can’t overfill.

It won’t change amount until it cycles, so a short drive won’t change the tank level.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Labbix

When at the dealer I let them fill it up, regardless the remaining km, never had issues, and it does reset itself indeed, but it’s always a lot of liters, like 10 or more.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Discostu, afraid your wrong, you can overfill it, the float in tank can go too high and it looses its reading and will shut car down, only way to recover that is get car to dealer who has to drain the system so that float can regain its reference.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

^^^^ I was also told that by my dealer's service manager. I haven't tested it. Thumbs Up

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:
    Dangerdave wrote:

Really? It is no different to topping up your washer fluid.

Really! I too was under the impression you could overfill it.

If you have it on the dash screen that it will take 5lts, then it takes any guess work out of topping it up, but hey, each to their own, OP wanted advice, I just replied, disregard it, not bothered, but I didn’t want to get into an argument about it.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I do not not have any indication in my MY17 so I just fill up when I think it getting low, in the same way you you do with washer fluid.

If you have an indication in your car the it makes sense to take a different approach.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Strange that your 2017 doesn't have this, the indication comes up in the centre display but only when there's just enough for 2,500km. You need to click on "ok" to make the message go away. The message is white when it first appears, at 1,500 it changes to orange and changes to red when it gets really low.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Ron

my 2017 received an update at the 1 year service that shows distance to service and DEF refill. This is seen in driver assistance vehicle information (I think). you can only see the information with the ignition on and the engine NOT running.

I will try and find my service invoice which should list the update

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum