Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Tempted
    United Kingdom 

PDC sensor calibration

I bought my vehicle dealer approved 7 months old a month or so ago. I did not realise until a day or two later, but on collection, the 360 PDC sensors were not working. I had assumed they were disabled via a setting or something. The comprehensive 700 or whatever point check the dealer ranted on about obviously didn't include fundamental vehicle functions Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, I've been into my local dealer who established that the connector behind the front bumper wasn't connected and my fog lights weren't working either, so they are now working. God knows if they'd been like this from new, or for some other reason. My question is whether they require some kind of calibration? Mine beep like an ATM that has only just offered you your card back when I'm miles away from danger (flat tarmac, no kerb). In my previous few vehicles with PDC sensors, the fast beeping was useful to detect whether you're about to hit something, whereas this is fairly useless at this distance.

Anyone have any thoughts? Are they all this bad? I looked in the online manual but didn't find anything.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Mine work well, sounds like a return trip needed Sad

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Labbix

Yep, mine works normal as well
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

mine shows a "red" on the right front corner about 50% of time, so the front have been turned off for last 6 months. When on, they beep randomly a few times when theres nothing about and beep when there almost enough space to get another car between mine and the one in front in traffic.

BTW the 7million point check is not actually done by many dealers, mine was delivered with 3 tyres at 21psi, load cover missing, none of the updates/recalls undertaken, but a certificate signed to day they had done the checks.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Tempted
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the feedback. I wondered if I'd maybe not given it a fair test and so upon arriving home tonight, I reversed up to my garage and stopped at the exact moment it went mad. Intereated to know if this is normal or if the sensors are a bit too keen? Obviously I'd over egged my original comments 🤣

• Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I think the beeps turn to a continuous tone when you are about 12 inches from object.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

The sensors don't detect everything, just at or up to a certain height. I parked here today and the beeps had just started at this point.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Craigp
    England 

I think you answed your question as to why it was disconnected. Im now thinking of a reason why the fog lights where disconnected Shocked
  • Tempted
    United Kingdom 

Sorry, I don't follow. If you're suggesting they're disconnected because they're innacurate, that seems an odd approach.
  • Craigp
    England 

Really ? Thats how i fix things just ask the wife.
    In all seriousness mine will start bleeping at around 3 to 4 foot until i reach a instantaneous echo at around 1ft. I get a false alarm sometimes from a curb edge.
  • Tempted
    United Kingdom 

Would the consensus be that my image is about right, or should you get closer before it goes mental? I would say my vehicle is further away than 1 foot...
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I reversed out of the driveway once after recently moving house with my D4. For some reason the beeps started but I couldn't see anything in the mirrors so I thought it must have been a sprig of grass, kept going and knocked the neighbour's bin over. At least it was empty Very Happy

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Just parked front end behind another car (discovery sport) and went forward till beep went to solid beep. Measurement was just over 8 inches or 100 mm roughly (from front number plate to other cars rear bumper)
  • Tempted
    United Kingdom 

There's only one solution to this, I shall measure with a tape measure and compare [the parking distance] Rolling with laughter
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

MalithS wrote:
    Measurement was just over 8 inches or 100 mm roughly (from front number plate to other cars rear bumper)

Isn't 8 inches just over 200mm ?

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum