Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Braehead
    United Kingdom 

Should I come back???

Morning folks. I used to be over on Disco4 a few years ago and may know some of you from there. I used to have a black HSE lux. I loved it, the family loved it but unfortunately the car itself preferred to live with the service department at the dealer and one day decided to stay there. I was rather disillusioned with LR at that point. The new D5 had just come out and while I was tempted I was put off by my experience with the D4 so went for a XC90. It's been great, very reliable and nice and easy to live with. Despite getting the R-Design with all the toys (air suspension, b&w stereo upgrade etc) its just not as nice a car to drive and overall just leaves me feeling a bit blah / meh if that makes sense. So much so that I bought a second hand M2 for fun and giggles. That hasn't lasted long though as every arse on the road wants to race me when I use, it's only done 2k miles in 11 months and it's going.

But with that gone and just back to the XC90 I'm thinking of changing that now and could seriously be tempted back into a SDV6 HSE Lux. I just need to hear from folks here that its going to be more reliable than my old Disco4 was. I've flirted with the Q7 (an SQ7) in the quest to get a combo of my two cars. I've also taken a look at the new X5 and the new model Cayenne. They are all seriously lovely, luxuriously appointed vehicles but i’d probably favour the Cayenne of the three (but would I stick the garden rubbish in the back?).

I'm here trying to find warts and all reviews of the D5. I no longer need a car as large but I LIKE large cars and I've gotten the M2 out my system now (that I'm 50, when did that happen). Do I need 7 seats any more - not really. Do I need the space in the boot - sometimes. Do I need the 4x4 capability -no.
    Do I like the car - yes! I'm not convinced its possible to get a combo of the XC90 and M2 so my thinking is get the best SUV. So have LR sorted out reliability and should I just swallow by worries and get back into a Discovery? The Disco4 was the car I most enjoyed driving and least enjoyed owning!

Last edited by Braehead on 3rd Jul 2019 7:01 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • jungle42
    Luxembourg 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Hi, I've come from an X5 40D from 2013 msport edition... I really liked that car, but the D5 is in my opinion better in nearly every aspect.

I have an MY17 si6 petrol from may 2017 and have done 40000km with it. I had 2 regular services, brakes at the rear were changed, and several recalls/warranty repairs (A pillar, battery update because it was depleted, software updates up to 19A with ACP (50€)).

The D5 just handles so much better than the X5, it is larger but parking and driving around in a city is way easier.

I had to get used to the seats in the D5, but with all the settings done, everithing is fine.

MY17 didn't have the option for the active suspension (or whatever they called it Wink ) and at the beginning that was quite annoying, but now I prefer it, you always know exactly what your is up to and no physics laws are being overcome Wink

So, I would recommend it:)

MY17 HSE Luxury Corris Grey 3.0 si6 with Black Pack 21 inch
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Sorry Braehead, not quite the sort of useful reply you are looking for, but...

I considered and drove some of the cars that you talked about, Cayenne/X5 along with Disco/RRS. Also drove the Tesla Model X and BMW X3. Showroomed the XC90, my initial favourite, but the dealer blew that option with poor test drive offers. Also showroomed the Q7 but it left me cold.

Conclusion for me was that the Disco and RRS way outdrove the competion, for my use, and the interiors were streets ahead. Only on tech did I see a significant shortfall vs. some of the competition, notably the G05 X5.

The Disco is on order and I have my fingers crossed on ownership and reliability.

As said, not the useful reply you are looking for - but a vote for go for it!

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Braehead
    United Kingdom 

What swung it to the Disco over the RRS?
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Space, practicality and (slightly) value.

Initially loved the RRS, but 48hrs in a Disco SE convinced me. A very comfortable car that really shrunk around me (even) more than the RRS. Had a quick sit in the showroom RRS after those two disco days and it seemed surprisingly small and low. Shows how experiences rapidly alter your perceptions!

Both great cars, though, with many similar strengths.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • milesg
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

I had a 2016 RRS 4.4 Dynamic Autobiography. total brake failure twice, spent 3 months of my 10 month ownership at LR. Basically horrendous.

Swore I would never buy another JLR product. (apart from my old D4 workhorse).

When we looked we did Porsche (too Essex for me), Volvo (had a new shape XC90 before, nice but a bit meh) X5 (new one had just come out and no decent deals to be had) so ended up back at LR.

They tried to get me in the new RRS 400h, nice, but was too similar to my car before that held such bad memories.

It was an FFRR I was going for. Found one, 18 plate Autobiography, great spec, 3ltr SDV6 with 12k on it, but was £80k. No matter how much we crunched the figures it was £8.5k in and £1k a month. No chance.

So I went to another LR dealer, the one who sold me the pup (and who were a mare on CS). Found anoter FFRR there, deal was better and monthlies lower through APR reduction and cash in from them. Then I happened to see my Disco HSE Lux in the corner. Went round it, drove it, fell in love. Half the price of the FFRR but so much more use for me and the family as a lifestyle vehicle. Delighted I went this way and now have an awesome truck which with a few goodies (black pack, some LR accessories) have made it my own. Family love it, I am not afraid to use it offroad (which I do from time to time)

The Disco for me is the best choice. RRS is too footballer, FFRR is too much of an armchair.

HSE Lux in Silver / Black
  • Braehead
    United Kingdom 

Interesting - when I bought my Disco4 it was up against the old shape FFRR and RRS too. I agree with your observations and that's pretty much why I bought the Disco4. The kids still miss the TV's!
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I've come from having 2 D3's and 2 D4's to the D5, and so far the only downside is I cant cram as much stuff in the back of the D5 as I did in the D4 - I know this from ttrying to bring all my diaughters stuff home from Uni last saturday - I took it all down in the D4 but couldnt get it all back in the D5 Rolling Eyes

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Hi Braehead, Like you I get itchy feet when it comes to cars and frankly it does my wifes head in as I change so frequently. In the last seven years I've had a V8 Touareg, a D4 HSE Lux, six new shape Full Fat RR's, (2 x 4.4 Autobiographies and 4 3.0 TD6 SE's and Autobiographies, although one was rejected after a month) a golf R and an Audi SQ7 and now I've got the car you are after a SDV6 HSE Lux.

I've had niggles with some of the Land Rovers, nothing big and I too fall in and out of love with them but generally because of the inconsistent dealer experience (Some great, some Shi Censored

However, I have to say that the worst experience I've had is with Audi. The SQ7 is a nice car and go's like hell but it'd be very easy to be a car that invites you to use public transport after your licence is removed by the courts. I've had M3's in my younger days but at least in one of those you know what speed you are doing, it's just not as noticeable in the Audi.

I also toyed with the prospect of a T8 XC90 but even though it's rapid I can't get around the 2.0 litre thing in a big car and even though I'm a bit older than you I think I'd need another ten years on me before I consider one properly.

So for my money the old D4 stood out as a great value big comfortable car and even though the prices have creeped up a little too fast the new one is still good value when compared to the full fat(which is an incredible machine but just too expensive now). For me it's 98% as good as a full fat for 80% of the price and so it's a great choice. Thumbs Up

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Braehead
    United Kingdom 

Superb - I'm going to show your post to my wife Thumbs Up

I know what you mean about knowing you're going fast in an M3. I feel the same in the M2, it's just a total hooligan of a car and has been a year of smiles and sh Censored ng myself at the same time! That's been an amazing collection of cars you've had Bow down I really did enjoy my old Disco4 but when the suspension failed at 24k miles I'd had enough! Maybe I just got a lemon.

The Disco5 has grown on me considerably since it first came out. I had one for a few days when the D4 was in being repaired and the old girl really did feel old in comparison when I got her back. The Disco5 was so new at the time and my recent experience so poor that I couldn't stomach one so went pipe and slippers with the XC90. It's done everything well for the last two years but it just misses something. I think it's the driving position in the Disco that I miss the most. I need to get hold of one again for a proper test drive. My kids still miss "Marty" as they christened the D4 (from Madagascar). The XC90 is Po (from Kung fu Panda) and the M2 is Miss Dynamite 🧨

For some reason I just can't help thinking about the Queen song "Fat bottomed girls" when I look at the D5
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Made me smile that.....especially the Queen reference. True she is no looker but it makes up for it on the inside. No one does driving positions like LR and the feel good factor is strong too.

I'd have no hesitation about taking the plunge, just make sure you buy the newest, cheapest one you can afford and keep it whilst it has a warranty and you will have no problems that you can't resolve. Enjoy Steve

Hse Lux SDV6
  • nickground
    United Kingdom 

A bit like Blackdog I have itchy feet. There have been 18 Range Rovers through my hands over the years and stuff like the Guilia Quadrifoglio, Integrale and various hot hatches. I had a 2018 RS4 which brought out the hooligan in more drivers than you can believe so I went looking for a ‘pre-owned’ FFRR but ended up driving the D5.

My HSE Lux SDV6 has been with me for 4K miles now. It has been off road (properly), towed my track car for 900 miles, been an exhibition van and hasn’t missed a beat. It’s plenty quick enough, economical and crucially for me I cannot remember not having it or any reason for not having it. Oh and it’s a pleasure being let out at junctions.

I still have my D3. It feels familiar but a bit last generation and “so this what they used to be like”.

D5 HSE Lux SDV6
    D3 2005
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Two great quotes from milessg (RRS too footballer, FFRR too armchair) and blackdog (98% FFRR for 80% of the price) that nail the appeal of the D5 for me.

Great thread, get it bought Braehead Wink

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

For me the D5 is big’ish and high off the ground and that’s about it. I don’t love it or hate it, so long as it starts, I am okay with it.

I probably wouldn’t have bothered to get one, but SWMBO told me we should have one after D3 and D4’s, whilst she never drives it and rarely travels in it. Normally it’s just me alone getting some shopping.

I’d be just as happy in a second hand Corsa in all honesty. I drive the eldests one into the garage once a week to fill it up and don’t have a problem with it, so long as it gets me where I am going.

Would I part with £60k+ cash to buy another, probably not. It means nothing to me, just a lump of metal sitting on the driveway.
  • Braehead
    United Kingdom 

Wow Dangerdave, you've just reminded me of watching "Last Call" with the Rev I,M.Jolly (please take that as a joke!)

I'm not trying to justify spending the money and already have a car that does the job. Most of the time the car will be sat on the drive or in the station car park. I'm just trying to make sure it actually is where it should be and not in the dealers car park waiting to be repaired again!

What can I say - I like cars!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum