Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Admitted, I don’t get excited by cars. They are a means to an end. I didn’t even take a test drive in a D5 before buying one. Never did with the D3 or D4. Cant be bothered with all that stuff and the constant drone of sales chat. I either want one or I don’t or in this case SWMBO.

Reliability is the big one. Personally I don’t want to be in and out of the dealers like a fiddlers elbow. If I was, the car would be gone, but hey, each to their own, be a sorry world if we were all the same.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

If I tried to justify having a certain car I'd struggle to. I probably only do four or five thousand miles a year and in fact my wife has a brand new car which she does less than 1500 miles a year in. I forgot to mention that nine months ago we had a VW Tiguan R-Line and tried to see if we could manage with just one car. That was the largest car my wife would drive. She'd never drive a Full Fat or a Disco.

We could easily have managed. We bought a roof box for it and with that on it was larger than the FFRR. It was economical and went well and considering it was less than £40K it had lots of kit and looked well.

However, it's not a Disco and life is too short to make do when you don't have to. So we didn't. And the only down-side is that the kids might get a little less when we pop our cloggs.

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Braehead
    United Kingdom 

I managed to get in to my local dealer yesterday. He had a few things in second hand stock too so I got to do a side by side comparison of the following

FFRR, RRS, Disco5, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne (previous model), Merc GLE (previous model). I was on my way back from golfing so I had all my junk in the back to test boot space too. As soon as I say in any of the LR models I instantly remembered what I liked most about my old D4. With three kids of various ages I need something that's got decent spec in the back for them. So that quickly ruled out the RRS. Price ruled out the FFRR. The GLE was just ok, I'm sure the new model is nicer but it doesn't float my boat. I could probably live with the Cayenne or the Q7 but they both had relatively small boots compared with my XC90. The Q7 has a relatively large transmission tunnel too which will cause endless bickering between my three girls. I liked the fact it has three individual sliding / folding seats though - Disco missed a trick there!

But really the one that ticks most boxes is the Disco5. The Cayenne and the Q7 probably have more "sport" and are more car-like but the D5 has more "utility". I've been having a constant debate with myself about whether S+U really work in a SUV and I'm coming down to those with sporting pretensions being the most compromised in other ways. I think I'll be going for U combined with the comfort and luxury of the Disco5. More car that I will ever need - but that's not the point! Already looking forward to the first time I try to park it at the train station or the car park at work....
  • Labbix

So it means ‘welcome back’ Wink

Congrats on the decision, you know JLR will always have a few niggles (like most other makes anyway), but you will enjoy the U and even the V!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Cars a breeze to park if you have the cameras and sensors all round.

We paid extra for the 360 degree view.

I think on the lower models the cameras were a charagable option, but on higher models they were standard on the MY17-MY18 models.

I think the cameras are an extra option on MY19 and MY20 models sadly.

Without cameras or sensors it's tricky to park, so I would suggest ticking the option box if going for a new car, or making sure the used car has it. Nothing worse than scraping it when parking.

Mrs assures me it's best thing I did, as feels alot easier than the D4 to park, which only had a rear camera and rear sensors. No front camera or front and side sensors. or the fancy 360 view Laughing

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 7th Jul 2019 11:11 am. Edited 1 time in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Braehead
    United Kingdom 

How do you find the petrol model over the diesel?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Diesel was fine but was the older 256 bhp version. Not the 306 bhp new engine. Had to rev it quite a bit to overtake safely, getting the single turbo to spool up. The D4 was twin turbo which I felt accelerated better and was a trifle more responsive. I did think that it would have been better if it had at least 300 bhp, or been a twin scroll turbo. Not driven the new engine, but seems to be a cracking engine with alot of positive reviews on here with hardly any oil dilution issues unlike the older diesel.

Petrol Si6 is 340 bhp.
    Peach of an engine. Once you put the foot down it goes far better than the diesel, as no need to let the turbocharger spool up as in the diesel. The supercharger is really smooth and power is virtually instant and quieter than the diesel we had. Gives a pleasant kick when floored. Supercharger gives a nice whine too.
    Only downside is the fuel consumption, but if you can afford a car this expensive then an extra £20 odd for petrol will not be an issue. Thats my thought anyway.
    Was in Glasgow 2 weeks ago and it was reading 357 miles on a full tank even though were towing the smaller trailer, so very pleased with it Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Braehead
    United Kingdom 

Thanks - that's extra good for thought. My worry isn't the running cost of petrol vs diesel but more the risk of increasingly punitive legislation against diesel for future resale.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

That's why we switched over from diesel to petrol. Combination of the diesel resale values, diesel stealth tax, along with not being able to drive the car in certain areas of the city. Just ridiculous as lorries and buses are diesel which spew out alot more than a car does. Along with oil dilution issues the older engines were suffering. Just a pity diesel is getting hammered, as its torque is better for towing than the petrol engines but the petrol is more than adequate in the towing department. So much so you forget you have a trailer on the back.

• Labbix

But you can’t get the 3 liter petrol anymore in Europe... only the 2 liter and that’s, at least for me, the reason not to buy a XC90...
  • Labbix

But for the MY21 the MHEV 3 liter petrol, which you now can buy in the RRSport ,and FFRR I think, will come to the D5, but that’s still a loooong wait.
  • Braehead
    United Kingdom 

That can be my next one 😁
  • Braehead
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    That's why we switched over from diesel to petrol. Combination of the diesel resale values, diesel stealth tax, along with not being able to drive the car in certain areas of the city. Just ridiculous as lorries and buses are diesel which spew out alot more than a car does. Along with oil dilution issues the older engines were suffering. Just a pity diesel is getting hammered, as its torque is better for towing than the petrol engines but the petrol is more than adequate in the towing department. So much so you forget you have a trailer on the back.

Petrol ones really are hens teeth on the second hand market.

My friend has a business that "sources" cars. He is trying very hard to get me into a petrol X5 M40i but I fear it involves too many space compromises. It is however petrol and that gets over the diesel compromise in the Disco. If I get over the diesel issue though I still get tempted by the performance angle of the SQ7! So it remains a fight between X5 M40i, Disco SDV6 and SQ7. Disco is the best of the utility options and the other two are probably the best of the sporty options.
  • Labbix

Non of them are sports cars, so if you value utility there is only 1 option left if you want a 6 cylinder with 7 seats (unless you want to go X7 or GLS) and stay with European makes I guess...
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I agree, especially the 3l engine. Was a bit surprised that they dropped it amidst the diesel hoo haa, but I do think the 2 litre diesel is underpowered compared to the 3 litre.

Like wise I have not driven the 2 litre petrol but Mrs had one for a few days and said that she prefers the 3 litre as feels better when exiting junctions and roundabouts. A bit more grunt too it she said.

I was a bit worried that what will happen if we have engine issues, are they replacing it with a puny 2 litre ?

Fingers crossed no issues so far, but maybe LR have a container full of Si6 engines. As far as am aware the Si6 is still available for the continental market.

Am a big fan of Audi and BMW as well. Driven both the X5 and Q7 older models, but they still seem like second place compared to the D5, especially in the boot department. I agree they are both more sports orientated than family orientated like D5.

Incidentally the D5, has won best large SUV for the 3rd year in a row a few days ago, beating the X5 and Porsche Cayenne.

BMW residuals are quite alarming too, dropping like a lead 🎈.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum