Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• TechnoTurkey
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

Roof box/luggage rack

I'm going to need to increase my carrying capacity as I will need to take six people and their luggage on a holiday in the summer, the interior alone will be a bit tight.

I'm torn between a roof box or a luggage carrier like the official one:

https://gear.landrover.com/gb/en/discovery...tiary-tabs

I don't have rails at the moment so will need to purchase the rails, the cross bars and whatever else I need.

Has anyone used the luggage carrier or does anyone have any other suggestions? I prefer the look of the carrier loaded with bags and think it might be more flexible but can't make my mind up!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Don't get the versatile roof rack!!

It is useless. You can't even fit a roof box to it!!
  • Yorkietiger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

I recently bought a roof box (Kamei 510) and a set of Whispbar roof bars from the Roofbox Company. Ordered online and they turned up as promised the next day. Very happy with them, good quality, easy to fit and a good price too. You put your vehicle details into the website and it sorts out which bars will fit and automatically allocates the correct feet to suit the car roof rails.

Used them to go caravanning in the UK at Spring Bank Holiday and using them for trip into Europe later this month. Took my stuff plus my daughter, her husband and two children and a baby including a high chair, pushchair, three big hold-alls and assorted towels coats and everything but the kitchen sink!

The only issue is the height on top of the vehicle, I am just shy of 6ft, and it is a bit of a stretch reaching up and over to load and unload, but doable standing on the door sills.

Hope this helps.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I'd echo Yorkietiger.

I too had the Kamei 510 and it's usefully big, well made and looks good. We put it on the wifes car and with it on her Tiguan would carry more stuff than my Full Fat.

We bought some bags from Amazon and they were great as they were the perfect fit (width and height) and you could get five or six of these very large holdalls in the roof box. I'd guess each bag would hold a similar capacity to a large suitcase. But like has been said it's a bit of a height even in a Tiguan, so the bags are useful as you are just taking five or six things out and you can spread the load properly.

If you ever decide on them and are interested in the bags let me know and I'll see if I can find what they are called from Amazon.

Hse Lux SDV6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I have a Yakima Skybox Pro 16 (silver finish) from probably close to 10 years ago and it fits fine and is very stable on the LR factory aero crossbars. Looks good too, but it's definitely not for easy access - it's waaaay up there. Adds almost 18" to the height of the vehicle with the factory crossbars, and the way the rear door sill is shaped there's barely room for one foot, especially with ski/snowboard boots on.
  • UrbanSplash
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Silicon Silver

Versatile roof rack suited my needs well...

• RJ-Disco5
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Front Runner roof rack.

Super easy to fit and remove and super versatile:

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum