Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• RH15LEW
    Wales 

CB Radio

Evening all,

Due to pick up my new D5 any day, question for you all, were are you mounting your cb ariels? The D4 was ideal with a mag mount out the front sunroof but now will be limited due to the glass roof. I'm a full time wheelchair user and limited to where i can reach. Need to be able to pull it off and on often, i'm toying wit the idea of a boot mount and putting it on the back door? Have any of you used these?

Any advice would be usefull.

Thanks
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I put mine on a roof bar.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Same here, I put it on the front roof bar drivers side on a folding bracket, cable through the rear rood opening. I take it off when not needed.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I still like the way the Project Hero vehicle had the bracket at the front in the number bar. LR don't sell the bracket so you'd need one made up but this location might suit you better.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Only issue is someone with sticky fingers may steal it or vandalise it, even though it is at a more accessible height.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • RH15LEW
    Wales 

That Project hero one is neat!

Got a couple of months to play around with ideas, some sort of gutter mount to the roof rail would be ok but earth would be the main concern.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

I figured that an aluminium vehicle with a glass roof was unlikely to make a good ground plane however I earthed it, so I cheated and got a Toroidal / Electronic Ground Plane. It seems to work well. 👍

http://www.4x4cb.com/public/page.cfm?Page=646

• Joakim Svensson
    Sweden 

Where do you guys get the cable in to the cab? Impossible to get it trough the bulkhed or is there a hidden hole somewhere?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

Mine runs in through the tailgate then forward under the seats.

• the_lincs_landies
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

I have a Thunderpole hatch mount bracket on the driver side of bonnet, then have pierced a hole in the steering column rubber gaiter to get it into the cab. I just used a small screwdriver to make a guide hole so that once the connector was through the rubber would shrink back around the wire and keep it fairly watertight.

Hatch Mount: https://www.thunderpole.co.uk/hatch-mounts...mount.html

(I realise this thread is 4 years old nearly, but thought I would share just incase it helps anyone who lands here in the future)

IG: @the_lincs_landies
  • Mark^^
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

I also have difficulties with movement so mine is mounted between the bonnet and engine bay as per the photo, I have 2 one for radio and the other for a sand flag. Purchased from e bay, noting I am in Australia as is the seller but there may be something similar in the UK or he might post to the UK as its not heavy. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165517929079

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum