Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• aeg102
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Santorini Black

Car cut out, wouldn't restart...digital dash screen black

Hi,

First post here! Sorry for the long post, but I need some advice!

I was driving my Disco 5 Commercial SE SDV6 (4800 miles - first reg 6th June Confused ) this afternoon, stopped at traffic lights, got the 'double bong' warning, then error messages about traction control, stability control, forward assist, hill descent control, autonomous emergency braking all not working, and a yellow 'i'.

Drove home, turned off, waited for it to fully go off, tried again, car started, but screen black for about 20 seconds, then seemed fine.

I went out in it this evening, drove 10 miles, to a very busy roundabout in the middle of a town, stopped at lights half way round and it completely cut out, screen black (but sat nav screen OK). Pressing start button made all warning lights come on, dials did the sweep, but just clicked, would not start. So, I sit in the middle of the roundabout and phone LR Assist. Got out, got back in, and it started! Drove 5 minutes up the road and it did it again, so straight away, opened the drivers door, closed it and it started.

Managed to get home, turned off and on fine a few times. LR Assist were coming anyway, but as it was the evening, the sent out a local recover company who don't have LR diagnostics, just snap-on. When he arrived, the dash again was black, pressing button, lights up, but just a click, like flat battery. We tested voltage on jump start points - all fine. Then, without warning it decided to start as normal.

He put his fault code reader on it, and there was nothing logged.

Strange thing throughout is that the date and time on the digital dash screen keep resetting to 12:00 on 01/01/2016 and then going back to today, randomly. The time on the sat-nav screen us always correct!!

They are now talking about getting it recovered to LR, but I'm now concerned that they will find nothing, and send it away again!

Any advice appreciated!
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Definitely get it to LR. You'll often get a quicker response and better loan car if LR Assist send it in (even if you drive it there) rather than you booking it in directly with the dealer.

Obviously it's got a fault and it should be covered under warranty. If they can't find any codes, it should at least do it for them if they take it for a decent length test drive.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • aeg102
    United Kingdom 

Thanks, I’m hoping LR assist will suggest recovery when they phone today.

Only problem is (for them, I guess!) that I’m on the Isle of Wight on holiday staying with family. The car is on their drive, but the nearest LR dealer to here is Southampton.....so a ferry ride away, and I’m from Lincolnshire, going back on Sunday!

A little ironic this has happened now, I’ve spent the last six weeks telling everyone how great this car / engine is especially compared to my last disco 4! Was encouraging the sister in law she should buy one...now it’s broken down on her drive! Confused
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Have you checked to make sure the battery terminals are connected properly and tight?
  • aeg102
    United Kingdom 

It’s odd as there is power, middle screen ok, fan working, screen lights up, but perhaps poor connection so not enough to start, but why suddenly start?! It’s working this morning, but haven’t driven it, just started it and all looks ok.

Where is the battery?? I assume under the boot floor as it’s no longer under the bonnet! Looks like it needs several torx screws removing to get under the only panel that looks slightly removable?!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

believe its behind the righthand panel in the load area, the "carpet" panel removes quick easily

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • STOAT
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Scotia Grey

The battery is located behind the panel forward of the wheel jack access cover on the right side of load space. A bit tricky to remove/replace.

This might help:

https://www.disco5forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4491#p7107
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum