Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• pouls1
    Sweden 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Need some buying advice

Hi - new here and looking for some input on my purchase options.

Looking at a few cars - two of them being previous Land Rover Management and one previously privately owned. They all are within 6-7000 miles and manufacture approved.

The previous management vehicles are HSE Luxury 2019's from 2018 with 306 hp engines. Both have dynamic packs one silver and one white. Black interior. The white with red stitching white roof, the silver with black roof, "white" stiching/pipelining. They're pretty loaded, but the white has head-up and 360 camera.

I have looked for a car with 360 camera - thinking of it as an advantage when in a bit of a terrain - but I will be far from heavy terrain - a bit more of rocky paths to get to some beaches and some rocky parts to up in some mountains.

The third - silver HSE Luxury - 2018 so it comes with 360 camera stock, has all the goodies, but the older design of the buttons on the steering wheel and it is a 258hp car. and it is £8-10.000 cheaper. No dynamic pack, body color roof.

I have chosen the Luxury version since the car will be used in a warmer climate and hence I wanted the ventilated seats as well as the possibility of opening the roof at times.

I will be changing the wheels for 20's with AT tires.

And here comes the questions:

Am I good with a previous Land Rover Management car or do I risk it having been a press car that has been given all sorts of beatings before being refurbished and sold?

Is the 2019 model to prefer to the 2018?

Anything I should be thinking of?

Anything you would make sure the spec has?

Looking forward to hearing from you Very Happy
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Honestly, it’s your choice.

My criteria and yours will be totally different, so go with your gut feeling.
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

How about this one?

Am I good with a previous Land Rover Management car or do I risk it having been a press car that has been given all sorts of beatings before being refurbished and sold?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Different people will have different opinions.....

An ex management car wouldn't worry my if it was in "as new" condition on a visual inspection (including having a look underneath). It will have a warranty and is no more of a risk than any other pre-owned car.

360 cameras are useful for narrow gateways, tracks which require precise driving to avoid falling off an edge, accurate wheel placement or confined spaces. In wide open spaces or wide tracks they offer no advantage.

The SD6 engine (306bhp) is a significant improvement in power and responsiveness over the older TD6 engine and Adaptive Dynamics is a really nice option to have if you drive twisty roads.

The top few options that would be on my "must have" list would be the SD6 engine, Adaptive Dynamics, Heated Steering Wheel and Fuel Burning Heater with Timed Climate. The rest I could be flexible on or add later.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Probably not. I don’t like anyone else to have driven the car, particularly as I don’t know who or how it has been driven.
  • L90Andy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Ex management cars are exactly that - well specced cars that managers use as their daily cars. They have to reorder every 6 months or 6k miles.
    They tend to be well looked after as management cars have to meet harsh inspections upon return. Any costs will be personally incurred if above a reasonable damage threshold.
    They would be as safe a prospect as any other LR approved used car.
    Ex Experience cars would be the ones that would've been exposed to more abuse due to terrain and number of drivers.
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

Unfortunately, “Ex Management” does not refer to them being driven by managers, but rather that they are from a fleet that’s managed by LR.

They could have been leased to employees, used as pool cars, or leased to rental companies, or used as press cars, or break down loan cars, or even LRE cars. Sadly, the “Management” part of the name is terribly misleading.

Obviously, avoid anything that’s white Shocked
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I believe all experience cars are HSE not HSE Lux and definitely wouldn't have external dynamic pack, since the shiny plastic would scratch....as an upside they tend to come with Fuel Operated Heater (aka timed climate)

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

The SD6 engine and the upgraded interior are very nice and worth having but 8-10K difference (if we are talking pounds is lots of money) so it's more what you can afford or justify.

For me, we are a long time dead so if you can afford it comfortably then buy the nicest one you can and don't be afraid to haggle.

Hse Lux SDV6
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

Thank you for great feedback! I will post the result when it is in Smile
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Dangerdave wrote:
    Probably not. I don’t like anyone else to have driven the car, particularly as I don’t know who or how it has been driven.

Afraid am with DD on this one.
    Possiblity of car being thrashed or abused, i.e. constant heavy towing, leading to extra wear and tear and possible premature failure of several components. (I was told by a salesman that they will take tow bars off a car before it lands on the forecourt as potential buyers are wary of buying a car with a tow bar). Not to mention possible crash damaged repair. Buy second hand, you inherit other peoples problems. Usually people sell cars when stuff starts to go wrong. Mrs is of the same mindset. At this price, you at least get a 3 year warranty if purchasing brand new. I know some will say warranty is not worth the paper it's written on, but hey ho. End of the day go with what your heart says. You may end up with a lemon or a cracker. Even brand new cars can breakdown and am talking from experience with regards to our FE which had a melt down on way back from dealers and it never even reached home. (Only had the car for a month and when it was readveritised, the tow bar was completely removed. Maybe the salesman was telling the truth, or possibly a way to screw the next customer for £1,500 odd as never even used the tow bar).
    Its a gamble either way Rolling Eyes

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Brand new and no-one else's backside on the seat is all very nice BUT there's a hefty price for the privilege.
    In any event I think pouls1 was looking at pre-owned.
    When looking at 306v258 and dynamic v standard depends on what you want and expect from a discovery, I would suggest if you want the former, go for a RR Sport.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Quasar
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Fuji White

[quote=Obviously, avoid anything that’s white Shocked[/quote]

Why is best to avoid white?
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

harrythespider wrote:
    Brand new and no-one else's backside on the seat is all very nice BUT there's a hefty price for the privilege.
    In any event I think pouls1 was looking at pre-owned.
    When looking at 306v258 and dynamic v standard depends on what you want and expect from a discovery, I would suggest if you want the former, go for a RR Sport.

Yes, you’re right, I am looking at a pre-owned. Exporting it, so it needs to be at least 6 months and with the equivalent of 6000km on it in order to avoid paying vat again and import duties.

I am looking at the D5 and not RR Sport, X5, GLE, etc.,, since I consider it more appropriate for my use - a combination of a car for rocky paths and dirt roads as well as normal roads and highways. Could’ve gotten a pick-up, but no, don’t want to go there.

Could also wait for the new Defender and buy that locally, where I will be using it, but I understand it would be a 4 and that a 6 will not appear until a year or so. Want a 6 cylinder - no offense, it is just me. Smile

What concerns me a bit though, are all the problems some talk a lot about here. But on the other hand, that’s internet for you and the question that would be interesting is the percentage rate up against loud voices of haters and people with real problems.

Just bought another car, the latest model of a classic from a German manufacturer, and on a forum where this new model was discussed the hate thread was app 10 times larger than the general discussion...

Last edited by pouls1 on 25th Aug 2019 8:26 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

pouls1.. I think you are correct in saying the internet disproportionately expresses the views of dissatisfied owners, its a good medium for venting frustration. Sure there are problems with most new vehicles and sometimes some dealers are less than satisfactory with their solutions. It would appear that on this site, all has gone quiet in respect of oil dilution and I must therefor assume its sorted, I personally had a few issues but my local dealer in Torver (not the one I purchased from) has a fantastic service/technical understanding, and they were sorted without problem. Mine was an ex management car, unbelievably specced up and the right price, its 258 bhp but its more than enough and keeps up with and can leave most 'standard' family vehicles. I love driving it. I have AT3's fitted and cannot fault them on or off road.
    Good luck with your search.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum