Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

OK, so I REALLY don't like the boot on my D5

And not because it's ugly - I'm over that, I think, and now I quite like it some days...

But one of kids set the foot kick switch off on a very packed car deck on a Cal Mac ferry last week, and we nearly wiped out the bonnet of the Merc parked behind us as it swung open. The owner looked horrified, but thankfully we missed the front of his car by a couple of inches.

And today I've banged my head on the open boot twice, and when you don't have any hair, that's bloomin' painful. Not the first time either - I've cut my head open on it in the driveway at home about 2 months ago. it just seems too low, particularly when you are 6ft 3". The old one was never an issue.

The problem is amplified if you park off road at on an incline, and then walk back from the front of the car rearwards, particularly if holding the hand of a little one and not looking straight ahead the whole time.

Oh, and that time I hit the button to open the boot in my pocket by mistake and it opened into a brick wall, chipping the bottom of it!

First world problem, perhaps, But it's a real pain, literally!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Labbix

I liked the boot of the D4 more as well as my fridge just fitted under the retractable cover, not with the D5!
    Did not want the opening with the feet, as had same experience with my other cars hitting the small kids when passing by.
    But sure these are luxury problems Wink so you better enjoy them! You’ve paid a lot for it, remember Thumbs Up
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I'm 6'3" and pretty much work out of my car boot. I've got plenty of headroom and haven't hit my head yet.

Is yours opening fully? I can stand upright under the lowest corner with the car in access height without losing any brain cells. Give it a push upwards to see if it will open any further.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Simon S
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I read in the manual that the height when open can be set - there is a full section on it. Perhaps it isn't set at full height.

Simon S
    3.0 HSE SDV6 Commercial in Carpathian Grey
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

I need to investigate this in the morning...... I definitely don't think I could stand under it!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I'm 6'4" and whilst I can step under the main part of the tailgate easily enough without bending down, the two bottom corners curve down, and I have hit my head on one of these - yes it bloody hurts, and thats with the tailgate at it highest setting. I just have to remember not to step away from the boot to the side, only directly backwards.

I also thought you can disable gesture control.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

You can't disable it ...the best way to avoid it is to leave the key in the car rather than your pocket as it won't open when it is more than 4 foot away.

Seems to be an issue across several manufacturers ...e.g. Ford and Volvo owner have the same issue.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Doesn’t bother me personally can’t get it to work most of the time, so I don’t bother with it. Did have it activate when dragging a hosepipe round the back of the car. That was novel.

Don’t suppose sticking gaffer tape over the sensor would work?
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Opening height duly adjusted and I've eeked out another 2-3cms I reckon, verusus how it arrived from the factory. I can now stand under it when raised on access height, but it's still bloomin' close to my head on both corners!

Still, should mean slightly fewer head bangs moving forward...

Thanks!

• ElPiloto
    United Arab Emirates 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Scotia Grey

Thank for writing about this!!!

I've just got bought a D5 and went to step away from the boot and this post flashed into the forefront of my mind. I stopped moving looked up and sure enough the corner, like a spear, was hovering there waiting to gouge a hole at the top of my 6ft 4 build.

Well done! Some serious cursing averted! Thumbs Up
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

This is something I need to investigate when SMWBO's arrives. both making sure it opens as high as possible as I'm 6'5" and also trying to disable the gesture tailgate. Was thinking of trying to cover or disconnect whatever sensors are underneath triggering it. We cannot risk it being opened accidentally when dogs in the back.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

ElPiloto wrote:
    Well done! Some serious cursing averted! Thumbs Up

Glad to hear you aren't wearing a plaster on your head tonight!

• BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I'm starting to feel vertically challenged at only 6ft 2" but even I have had a too close for comfort moment with the corner on the tailgate Laughing

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Littletamcrof
    Scotland 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Boot Gesture Opening

Having constantly encountered the hatch opening when I walked past the rear of the vehicle, but never working when I intended it to, I spoke to the dealership when in for adblue top up the other day. Sorted! Technician removed a fuse - free of charge - and this disables the gesture opening! No idea where from/which fuse but it can be done. And this has removed my one and only gripe about the D5 - oh apart from the offset thing at the back 😉

2021 RRS P400E HSE Silver. 2020 3.0 SDV6 HSE - Santorini Black, 21”, Roof Rails, Adaptive Dynamics. (2018 3.0TD6 HSE Indus Silver).( 2016 3.0 SDV6 Landmark - Yulong White). (2012 3.0TDV6 HSE - Stornoway Grey) (2000 Freelander S 3 Door - blue)
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

I'm going to have a look for that fuse later, SWMBO said our GSP set it off the other day which could be dangerous. She also wants the Boot button to open both upper and lower parts at once as we have a hatch bag covering the buttons plus with it full of dogs its a mare trying to do it. She doesn't want to use the key fob button with a hand full of dogs. I also have to build an extension for the lower tailgate apparently Rolling Eyes

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum