Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Re: OK, so I REALLY don't like the boot on my D5

747_JK wrote:
    And not because it's ugly - I'm over that, I think, and now I quite like it some days...

But one of kids set the foot kick switch off on a very packed car deck on a Cal Mac ferry last week, and we nearly wiped out the bonnet of the Merc parked behind us as it swung open. The owner looked horrified, but thankfully we missed the front of his car by a couple of inches.

And today I've banged my head on the open boot twice, and when you don't have any hair, that's bloomin' painful. Not the first time either - I've cut my head open on it in the driveway at home about 2 months ago. it just seems too low, particularly when you are 6ft 3". The old one was never an issue.

The problem is amplified if you park off road at on an incline, and then walk back from the front of the car rearwards, particularly if holding the hand of a little one and not looking straight ahead the whole time.

Oh, and that time I hit the button to open the boot in my pocket by mistake and it opened into a brick wall, chipping the bottom of it!

First world problem, perhaps, But it's a real pain, literally!

I thought the boot door sensed if there was an obstruction and stopped opening?
  • Labbix

No, as mine hit the wall when I wasn’t attentive...
  • Littletamcrof
    Scotland 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Boot

Senses an obstruction when closing but usually senses too late i.e. once it has hit something when opening.

2021 RRS P400E HSE Silver. 2020 3.0 SDV6 HSE - Santorini Black, 21”, Roof Rails, Adaptive Dynamics. (2018 3.0TD6 HSE Indus Silver).( 2016 3.0 SDV6 Landmark - Yulong White). (2012 3.0TDV6 HSE - Stornoway Grey) (2000 Freelander S 3 Door - blue)
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

Ok more frustration today with he rear design of the D5. Anyone got tips on fitting the roof box ? !

Even at 6"5' it was a total pain in the back side without the Tailgate to stand on, how do you reach the far rear fastener inside the box?

I had to stand on the tyre and virtually climbing the box, I used to stand on the rear tailgate of the Discovery and never thought anything about it.

Am I missing a trick?

its the one at the back I'm talking about, the front one I had to stand on the seats and could just about manage it.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Labbix

I had to stand on the tyre and virtually climbing the box

This is the way I always did it, being the car in off road height, never thought about the boot, but does make sense, alas not possible to use it with (upper part of the) boot closed like in the D4...
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

yep i literally went to the rear as normal about to climb up and the penny dropped you can stand on the tailgate Laughing

Had to wedge the bracket up with sponges and then climb up and in to clamp it down. Loading the box will be a similar pain. Had the Ladders on all my D4s standing on the tailgate with the app closed allowed a safe way to really organise the roofbox.

I don't like standing on tyres, they can be slippy SWMBO nearly broke her ankle once doing it.

Bring on the defender Smile

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

The main reason i dont have a roof box is the issue with putting stuff in and out, without the risk of dropping stuff and scraping the car, or damaging myself in the process. Standing on wet tryes in wellys is a recipe for disaster. Opening and closing the box is another issue. Tried this on mates car, during a fishing trip, in his D4 and was a struggle. He had no ladder rack though.
    Garage roof is also low, so wont accommodate a roof box, as are multi story car park barriers. Hence I use the trailer, even though it can be a pain to hitch on and off, let alone finding a double parking space, but less chance of me injuring myself or dropping and breaking valuables.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 24th Oct 2019 4:19 pm. Edited 2 times in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

whenever we go on holiday we have to have roof box and trailer Big Cry

MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

You need a bigger trailer then Laughing

If your Mrs is like mine, she would take the kitchen sink if she could Rolling with laughter

I had roof rails put on for cosmetic purposes on the D5, as I felt it finished it off. Had them on all of the past incarnations as well.

Only on the D1 did I ever use the roof rack, and a trailer when I was driving through Europe and Asia. I dont even think roof boxes were available in the early 90's so had to make do with rope, bungee cords and a waterproof tarpaulin.

D1 only had 16 inch alloys so that's 6 inches smaller that the D5 ones, and the car itself was alot smaller dimension wise all round, so was easier to access the roof via the side steps. It had the retractable rear step for entry into the boot for the rear seats, and the rubber strip attached onto the top of the rear bumper as well, which was also handy for roof access.

I had a rear ladder, which was a great accessory. Ladder also fitted the D2, so I used it to wash the roof. Am sure I still have it in the shed somewhere.

I will see if I can find the photos. I have one with the car on UK reg plates outside the LR dealership in either Turkey or Iran.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

Boots always full of dogs (3 including a Great Dane) no room for anything else, were fully loaded wherever we go ! Laughing

MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well that makes it crystal clear now. The Great Dane probably takes up all the room by itself in the boot Laughing

Lovely placid dogs by the way. One of my favourites, most probably influenced by watching Scooby Doo in my younger days.

Am also running Erde and Daxara trailers. Decent bits of kit and cheaper than Ifor Williams. I have extended the sides on all of them, so the capacity has doubled, along with adding shock absorbers to the smaller one, so it hardly bounces at all now, when empty, and I forget its on the back, when fully loaded, as its not jumping about. (Does my head in all that rattling). Rolling with laughter

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 25th Oct 2019 10:08 am. Edited 1 time in total

• RDR
    United Kingdom 

Off Topic

Any excuse for a picture of the Dane

MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well no need for a car alarm then. That's the last thing someone wants to see, when attempting to pinch your car Thumbs Up

Thatcham approved Dog Rolling with laughter

Just a pity that a rear ladder is not available for the D5. Would make life alot easier for accessing the roofbox, and washing the roof.

What with the curvature of the boot, and the rear spoiler, it seems virtually impossible to design something like that, as it cant be clipped over the door frame, like you could with the all the other previous models.

Short of having to drill directly into the door frame, if some design did come on the market, I doubt anyone would be happy doing that apart from a handful of hard-core camping types.

Seems all the other Disco models were more design friendly for accessories, due too the flat, slab like sides.

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Any help?

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Am sure that was posted way back Thumbs Up

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum