Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

mordred1973 wrote:
    the wider the tyre the greater the "tramlining"

I have to admit I prefer the looks of the cars with 22", but am quite content with my 20" sicne it's made almost 12,000 miles so far without being kerbed. the considerably taller side walls pretty much keep the rim away from kerbs.

Yes I agree the 22's look more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
    However there is still quite alot of tyre wall compared to my car which has 18 inch, semi slick, low profile, Bridgestone Potenzas tyres on it.

These look proper low profile compared to the D5's 22's which in comparison looks like a normal tyre.

When it comes to parking, the car has the 360 degree ariel view, along with the function of seeing both front tyres simultaneously on the screen, thereby making it virtually impossible to kerb them.

The reason we decided to go for the 22's was because of the boat like ride of the 20's. The 22's being stiffer made it feel like a totally different car. Albeit there is advantages and disadvantages too both.
    Smoother ride over bumps with the 20's, but a wallowy ride compared to a slightly more firmer ride with the 22's, but with alot better handling characterics due to less tyre flex and a wider tread pattern. Can really push the car on twisty winding roads. Incidentally had both cars on the exact stretch of road and the difference was like day and night.
    Both my younger kids said they felt sick when sitting in the 2 seats in the boot when driving with the 20's, but have not complained once with the 22's. Both have never complained in my car which is a saloon, with alot less body roll either.
    Rather go for the latter than be cleaning up kids vomit tbh Sad

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 10th Jun 2019 3:40 pm. Edited 2 times in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

mordred1973 wrote:
    just had to go off and look my old one up Smile

I had 255/40 x 20 on my Volvo, seems the sidewall was 4" high. every one of my alloys on that car was unfortunately kerbed and stayed like it when it was p/x at 5.5 years old (having bought it as new at 0.5 years old)

My issue would have been on the Disco, black wheels will show kerbing far more than silver did. Not that I had a real choice over wheels since it wasnt new, and from reading I think I would prefer the way those with 22" wheels handle and ride compared to those with 20"

The local dealership are offering 3yr insurance on hubs....for £500. Supposedly if you get rim damage from kerbing they will repair/replace upto 5 wheels in 3 years. I guess it’s like all insurance....only worth it when you actually need it.
  • simonej

TazDaz and Lotusdmc; cheers for your input on the petrol! I was looking at the torque figure of the petrol and it’s 400nm which isn’t far off the small diesel. A long way off the 700nm of the big diesel though!

I’ve pretty much got the deal I want on a nice petrol so will probably end up going for it. Just getting some prices on the SDV6 though to see if I can be tempted away....
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Wolfpack wrote:
    mordred1973 wrote:
    just had to go off and look my old one up Smile

I had 255/40 x 20 on my Volvo, seems the sidewall was 4" high. every one of my alloys on that car was unfortunately kerbed and stayed like it when it was p/x at 5.5 years old (having bought it as new at 0.5 years old)

My issue would have been on the Disco, black wheels will show kerbing far more than silver did. Not that I had a real choice over wheels since it wasnt new, and from reading I think I would prefer the way those with 22" wheels handle and ride compared to those with 20"

The local dealership are offering 3yr insurance on hubs....for £500. Supposedly if you get rim damage from kerbing they will repair/replace upto 5 wheels in 3 years. I guess it’s like all insurance....only worth it when you actually need it.

my dealer offered me 18 wheel refurbs in 3 years for that amount of £

have no idea where they expect someone to have 6 refurbs a year though...

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • simonej

Well, after a load of going back and forth trying to hammer out a deal I’ve managed to order myself a 2.0 petrol, HSE Luxury to be delivered in September. I was never a fan of the new Disco initially but it’s grown on me and I’m excited about this one!

Budget was stretched so it’s juat Narvic Black paint but with Dynamic Pack 2, privacy glass and a black headlining. I can’t stand black interiors and have always wanted a tan interior, so here we go.....black and Tan!

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Looking good Simonej, nice colour choice and contrast. Thumbs Up

Not a fan of black interior as it makes the interior look claustrophobic, compared to lighter colours, not to mention seeing all the dust settling on it.

Hence Mrs went for the nimbus cream.

Talking about Black n Tan, I could murder a Guinness Rolling with laughter

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Lotusdmc
    United Kingdom 

Very nice, I see you have the dynamic pack 2, I only seem to be able to add the dynamic pack 1 which overrides some of the interior colours (such as tan). Did the dealer confirm that pack 2 is available? I had a problem with the configurator originally as I started my build before the website updated to MY20 but it still allowed me to change the spec in MY19, such as corris grey !!

MY20 HSE Lux Si4, Carpathian Grey, Light Oyster, Extended Leather, Dynamic Pack 1, Black Roof, Black Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, 22inch Wheels, Park Heat, 3rd Row Heated Seats
  • simonej

Ah! Yes! Had an email from the dealer the next day saying Dynamic Pack 2 is no longer available so it’s either DP1 and no tan interior or no DP and go with just the black pack.

In the end I’ve opted for the the Oyster/Ebony interior with the blue piping. To be honest it’s my preferred choice, just hugely impractical with two children! Hey ho, we’ll see if we can keep it clean. Very Happy
  • simonej

Well......collection day today! Will be picking up this afternoon and I’m like a kid at Christmas!

Bit of a change of plan with the spec as my wife wanted it to feel different to our D4 so we’ve ended up going for Portofino Blue with the full Dynamic Pack, oyster interior with blue piping and the petrol engine! Fingers crossed it works!
  • simonej

And here she is! Lovely colour that looks blue and black at the same time. Looks stunning in sunlight and, even though I say so myself, very classy.

As for the petrol engine, well, it’s actually really nice. I’d say it sits somewhere between the dreadful 4 cylinder diesel and the proper V6. It’s very smooth, very little vibration compared to a diesel and sounds quite ok from the outside.

Power delivery is very linear and it picks up pace very well. You can feel it lacks the torque of the V6 diesel low down but is on a par with the 4 cylinder. It’s not hugely responsive but I don’t think it’s much worse than my old D4.

So far I’m really pleased with it. Still has the downsides that the D5 always has had compared to the D4 but it’s very good. Somehow the 825w Meridian Surround is nowhere near as good as that in the D4 - don’t know how they’ve managed that!

Anyway, pics.....

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Congratulations Simonej.
    Looking good.
    Love the Porto Blue and the interior.
    Lighter than the Farallon black, but looks like it when sun hits it, i.e. inky blue Thumbs Up

With regards to the Meridian system, I would make sure unit is set up properly with the cursor being in the middle of set up screen. Ours was all too pot when we picked it up.

I think there is 3 settings for stereo, meridian, and dolby digital I think, which also makes a difference too the sounds.

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Looks fantastic! Happy motoring...

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Labbix

Looking good indeed, was actually surprised that the middle of your steering wheel has the same color as the seats (as with the Range Rovers), I have the tan interior and my steering wheel is just totally black?

Regarding the meridian, mine arrived with some faulty speakers, so make sure they all work!

Enjoy the ride!
  • Labbix

A few posts above you can see at the picture what I mean
  • simonej

Labbix wrote:
    Looking good indeed, was actually surprised that the middle of your steering wheel has the same color as the seats (as with the Range Rovers), I have the tan interior and my steering wheel is just totally black?

Regarding the meridian, mine arrived with some faulty speakers, so make sure they all work!

Enjoy the ride!

I think it’s a function of the HSE Lux for the coloured steering wheel centre. I think the HSE has black door tops and steering wheel whereas the Lux adds leather door tops and steering wheel. Looks smart anyway and really pleased with the whole colour choice, especially the black headliner.

Regarding the stereo, my Dad has the same car and I always noticed how different it was to the D4. The volume level only goes about 2/3 as loud as the D4 - the D4 being so loud it actually hurts! That being said, there’s much less distortion when fitted in the D5, but the sound doesn’t seem as full. It’s still good, just not as good as the D4 installation.

CarPlay is a great new addition but I’m struggling to work out how to change the volume for phone calls and Siri! Lots of things to play with but I’m liking adaptive cruise.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum