Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Software glitch - no sound

Just a quick note in case anyone gets this. First time for me.

Started car and set sat nav. It worked but did not read aloud the directions (not on mute). Then noticed no sound when radio turned on either. Only thing that cured it was to turn off engine, get out and lock up, wait 5 mins to ensure shut down then start up as normal. All working fine.

These things happen when you combine computers and cars I suppose.
  • Gruber
    Poland 

I had the same problem yesterday. This car is a big joke.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Absolutely agree, never have i heard of any computerised product that has so many software glitches. The car should never have made it to market 3 years ago woth this level of issues, which for many are still ongoing.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Chopsy, Gruber are your cars software up to date?

I.e. 19B or 19C?

It is not just JLR with these problems, I am looking at my next car and on the Audi and Mercedes forums the problems are even worse!! Whistle
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 

From memory, I believe it was 19a when the issue occurred (a known issue in that release I now understand). It has not done it again since 19b came along.
    Not sure what is new in 19c
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:
    Chopsy, Gruber are your cars software up to date?

I.e. 19B or 19C?

It is not just JLR with these problems, I am looking at my next car and on the Audi and Mercedes forums the problems are even worse!! Whistle

Have to say every time I get into the car, I wonder what won't quite work how it should. I know for a fact that on first start up a) the rear view camera will only load as about 2/3 of screen not the full screen b) I won't be able to enter a destination into the NAV until about half a mile down the road c) if its that week of the month one of the front parking sensors will go off every time I am below 10mph, if it's not that week of the month they'll work correctly.

Other things it has randomly done (some never to be repeated others happen now and then) include the tailgate refusing to close both from the button and the remote until I have manually lifted the flap and pulled the tailgate down, front wipers that do one sweep almost every time one of the front doors are opened and closed with the engine running, a deployable towbar that sometimes refuses to lock in position. Other than that it's perfect.

I am seriously considering next time around going back to buying something from around 2012/13 as I can't live with always wondering what isn't going to work as intended this week and numerous visits to the dealer each year for them to shug their shoulders and say "no fault found".

It is interesting to read some of the car mag's reliability stats:
    Most reliable
    All Japanese 1-5
    Kia - 6
    Hyundai - 7
    Volvo - 11
    Ford - 14
    Fiat - 19
    Audi - 20
    Mercedes - 24
    Alfa Romeo - 25
    Land Rover - 31 being the most unreliable manufacturer (with their least reliable models being the Full Fat RR, RR Velar and Discovery5, with less issued on RRS, DS and Evoke, and a comment of "at least when you end up sat on the hard shoulder you'll have a nice place to wait")
    Making LR less reliable than the likes of Jeep and Renault

It is interesting with all of the tech in the new Volvo's and the fact they're a small largely independent manufacturer, they're scoring incredibly well (I made wrong choice as mine was between D5 and XC90)

Last edited by mordred1973 on 12th Dec 2019 12:12 pm. Edited 2 times in total

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Have you tried disconnecting the battery overnight so that the car fully powers down, and hopefully any glitches will have cleared, by the time the battery has been reconnected the next day. Akin to a master reset. Its worth a try Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

I had the no sound glitch a couple of weeks back. One notable thing, I had turned the sound to 0 when reversing into my drive the night before. The next day there was no way of turning the volume up - steering wheel buttons and real knob both ignored. Left it in a multi story for a day and it recovered.

It was frustrating and I hope it doesn’t become a regular feature.

My 2016 BMW 440i had a consistent software/audio problem for the last two years of ownership. Almost every restart after two+ hours of downtime would result in my Apple Music via Bluetooth going back to the first song in the alphabet in my entire library. I wasted hours of my life reselecting playlists.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Have you tried disconnecting the battery overnight so that the car fully powers down, and hopefully any glitches will have cleared, by the time the battery has been reconnected the next day. Akin to a master reset. Its worth a try Thumbs Up

nope never been that brave.....how do you then lock the car if battery is disconnected?

• Labbix

The refusing tailgate I have had and still have with all my cars, German, British, Swedish Wink our long gone Toyota had a manual one...

The wiper thing I’ve noticed as well, wondering if it was because it was raining when engine was turned off, but the Disco cant be that smart or...

Good luck, but for now I still like my entertaining car Wink
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Labbix

Ah, I had a Volvo XC60 (2012) from the time it was 5 months old until it was 70 months old. The electric tailgate opened and closed perfectly for the whole 5.5 years and 100,000 miles. To be honest, it was obviously a considerably less complex car electronically, but there was never an electrical glitch on the car at all. I was happy using it to tow our caravan to Spain and back when it had clocked 100,000 miles form new. I would currently think twice about using the Disco5 to do the same thing, as would be concerned it wouldn'y make the 3 week 2500 mile trip without an issue of some sort appearing.

If the wiper thing was due to it raining when it was last switched off, that was presumably prior to my ownership so more than 15 months ago and it's still remembered. But no, even in the middle of Italy in 35 degrees, every time one of the front doors was opened and closed with the engine running the wipers made one sweep (bear in mind we had driven 1100 miles to get there without it raining and without the wipers moving, since the doors were only operated after we had stopped) . I did see some time ago someone mention theirs was doing on Facebook, but for the life of me I cannot locate their post now.

• Labbix

I loved my Volvo’s, but you must admit their navigation system is even worse than JLR Wink if they wouldn’t have switched to only 4 cylinders, I might have taken the xc90, I loved its previous Yamaha V8, stunning engine, but I’m not sure of the off road abilities and don’t know if they still offer the rear seat entertainment. Which is a nice feature with 3 small kids.
    And even Audi, and therefore the whole VW group has lots of tech issues. I remember very well driving through Germany when the whole system went blank, no radio, no nav, only speed and rpm was still shown. Even after waiting more than 10 minutes it stayed blank. Only next day it was there again. The system was completely replaced, even the screen behind the steering wheel, and still it happened like twice a year.
    JLR is far from perfect, but at least for me, they almost always come with a solution, and yes I admit it can take a while, but still. Didn’t have same experience with VW group. And the Audi’s RSE is way worse than JLR as well. So, after all, it is what you are willing to accept and are wanting to drive. I definitely prefer the seating position above Q7 and XC90, off road abilities and most probably next year will buy the D5 again when moving to Dar Es Salaam. Shame the facelift will be for MY21, but I have learned not to buy a ‘new’ model by now Wink
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

oh the Volvo 4 cylinder engine is the whole reason I bought the D5, I loved my rattly old 5 cylinder 2.4 Diesel, although it was thirstier than the Td6 in the D5 is, but I didn't think a 4 cylider was appropriate in an expensive top end car.

The Volvo NAV took very strange routes to places, but was far easier to set destinations since you could "type" from the sterring wheel buttons, rather than have to stop and use the LR touch screen. The LR screen is hugely better quality and I think looks great. I love the functionality you can control through it too and having Android Auto to play music, which being 2012 the Volvo didn;t have (and I think is still a chargable option in 2019)

I love the loads of USB's all over the LR (again the Volvo doesn't even have them in the middle row let alone the back row)

I don't have RSE and intentionally avoided it, otherwise the kids would want to watch stuff 24/7. They have their tablets to watch on proper long trips lol

The most offroad my car goes is down a farm track a couple of times a year, so whilst its a nice feeling knowing you can go lots of places, in reality I don't need it.

The XC60 driving position was more comfortable than the D5, although Volvo allegedly produce the best car seats there are.

I love the engine (hence why the D5 won over the XC90), I hate the dealership experience of LR, they're appalling,

I love the styling, the toys (when they work) and the room.

I cannot ever imagine me buying another JLR product however Sad

• Labbix

Forgot about the 5 cylinder indeed, had the 2.4 petrol as well, and long before that even a 4 cylinder Renault made powerhouse in the V40, which was a bit less, but I am a fan of Volvo and yes they do have the best seats!

I see a lot of people complaining about their JLR dealers, but it seems I was lucky, even in South Africa, Centurion, and in Belgium they were really good to me, not always easy to start with, but never bad as I read some others’ experiences, that’s really a shame and should definitely not be accepted by JLR itself... must say when I asked HQ about JLR services in Tanzania, I was told the chain is only as strong as...
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

mordred1973 wrote:
    Road Runner 2017 wrote:

nope never been that brave.....how do you then lock the car if battery is disconnected?

Car was parked overnight in the garage, so no need to lock it, but its always locked when in the garage.
    Not sure if you can lock it manually by the key in the fob though, as i never tried that.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum