Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• pouls1
    Sweden 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Original tires good enough or AT's?

Wondering about how capable the stock tires (Pirelli Scorpion) are? How far can they be taken into any landscape before an AT is necessary?
  • ukms
    United Arab Emirates 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

That’s a very broad question and completely depends what type of ‘landscape’ you are talking about. Surface, weather etc and how often will all be a factor and also whether you want to make the change permanent or swap wheels each time.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

On the D5, the standard tyres will get you much further than you'd expect before you get stuck. AT tyres will get you even further but when you eventually get stuck, you will be further from rescue. Rolling with laughter

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • beeker
    New Zealand 

I was surprised how far the scorpion took us on dry bumpy hill climbs, river crossings, icy mornings.
    As long as you take it easy
    Flip side, they were a bit average on the open road compared to my usual Michelin super sports on my rs6 Smile
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

JonM wrote:
    On the D5, the standard tyres will get you much further than you'd expect before you get stuck. AT tyres will get you even further but when you eventually get stuck, you will be further from rescue. Rolling with laughter

Rolling with laughter
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

ukms wrote:
    That’s a very broad question and completely depends what type of ‘landscape’ you are talking about. Surface, weather etc and how often will all be a factor and also whether you want to make the change permanent or swap wheels each time.

An opportunity for many to give their 5 cents and create a good discussion then Very Happy
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

beeker wrote:
    I was surprised how far the scorpion took us on dry bumpy hill climbs, river crossings, icy mornings.
    As long as you take it easy
    Flip side, they were a bit average on the open road compared to my usual Michelin super sports on my rs6 Smile

Haha - I would hope so! Very Happy
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

Mine has 22's and I am drooling a bit over pictures of 20" 255/55-20 and 275/55-20 KO2's and Duratrack's.

I love the look of the car on 22's, but with the lack of good AT choices in 22" and the low side wall height it would result in, I am considering the move to 20"

However, it comes at a price and hence the question about how far the stock tires would take me.

The worst terrain I will have to tackle are rocky roads and paths with the occasional big rock or rut where no normal cars could pass.
  • Labbix

I have done this regularly here in Albania on the stock tyres, but 20 inch, no problem at all, yours being 22 inch you will damage the rims more easily.
    In my experience AT are way better for mud, snow, sand and continuous gravel mostly because I feel more assured. But if you go slow and with caution your standard ones will bring you way further than you imagined Wink
  • Labbix

But be aware of your pressure!

>> The worst terrain I will have to tackle are rocky roads and paths with the occasional big rock or rut where no normal cars could pass. <<

I would inflate them at least half bar higher than normal for this specific terrain, and definitely with the 22 inch ones as they don’t have a lot of rubber between rim and terrain and go slowly! For sand deflate them, even a bar or so, for mud normal pressure, but maintain your momentum. I always have a full size spare tyre with and a compressor of course and a basic repair kid, with tow ropes and shackles (regardless if I am on stock or AT tyres).
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

Thank you Labbix! Appreciate your advice!
    Any thoughts about 255 vs 275-20's Have come across one set of each.
  • Labbix

See here:
    https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/tyre-equivalence-advice.html
    And here for more info: https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/wheels/...-rim-width

As I can’t explain it better myself Wink
    But this is the summary:

Choosing a wheel near the middle of the acceptable wheel range will give a balance between ride quality and handling. A wider wheel will improve handling at the expense of ride quality, while a narrower wheel will improve ride quality at the expense of handling. Consider these compromises when selecting wheels.
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

I went for the 275/55-20 Ko2's Very Happy

MY 2019 Fuji White SDV6 HSE Luxury with Dynamic 2, 360 cam, Head Up, 5011 gloss black 22", Pimento pinstriped black leather...
  • Labbix

Can you let (me) know your findings, as I normally would go for the duratracs 255, as I had them on my D4, but real world info for combo D5 and KO2 275 gets my attention as well Wink
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

Absolutely! I'll keep you in the loop Very Happy
    Got to get the car shipped from the UK to Cyprus first... I'll be spending the winter there and got this for exploring there. Car is being prepared as we speak and the wheels are delivered to the dealership so they can put them in the car - unless I get someone to take the 22's off my hand Smile

Car will be in Cyprus on the 28th... can't wait to see it...

MY 2019 Fuji White SDV6 HSE Luxury with Dynamic 2, 360 cam, Head Up, 5011 gloss black 22", Pimento pinstriped black leather...
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum