Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Nick74
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Paint flaking off bonnet & roof, after 6mths

Anyone else had any issues with paint seeming very thin and coming off? Have premium carpathian grey, very small parts on bonnet and roof coming off. Car new March 19. Have taken it to dealer awaiting warranty response. Car has been regularly cleaned and not left anywhere for such a wearing!
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Have you a photo? I would be extremely concerned as paint is basecoat and lacquer, so two layers coming off.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Should not be happening on a 6 month old car, especially one with the Premium paint option.

The water based, environmentally friendly paint that lots of manufacturers are now using, doesn't seem to be as durable as the oil/solvent based.

Speaking to my mate who owns his own paint bodyshop, and also to the head bodyshop sprayer at my dealership, both have told me that the water based paint is c##p.

Its alot thinner and more susceptible to stone chips, especially on areas like the front bumper and bonnet.

Getting lots more newer cars in for frontal resprays, due too the damaged paint, compared too the solvent based ones.

As much as am up for saving the environment and doing my bit, I would gladly pay more for the option of having a tougher solvent based paint over a thinner water based one.

The thought of developing rust spots on a new cars bonnet, after a few months, due to this, is a concern.

With owners taking their cars offroad and into harsh environments, I think the majority would tick the solvent paint box option.

I like the option on the new Defender, having a plastic wrap on the car to protect the paintwork from stonechips etc.

Maybe LR are aware of the fact that water based paint is not as tough, hence the option.

Makes sense, as Defenders will be abused more.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Mcoy
    Italy 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Namib Orange

Namib Orange

When I picked up the new car (10Km.) from the dealer on October 13th 2017, I had to make an appointment to repaint a door because there was a small circle without paint Censored Censored

Just a little and the paint comes off,
  • milesg
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

just be careful if they ask you 'what do you use to clean your car with'? Do not say -

Guys at the local car wash
    Some stuff I got from local autoparts store

Do say -

I use Land Rover car wash I purchase from Land Rover

Or they will say that you have used something that has softened the paint / lacquer and that is why it has failed. My friend had exactly the same, 6 months in, he used Autoglym products every week, including wax, so we know it was not that, but they claimed that as they are not LR approved and tested they cannot be assured that this product did not contribute to it.

Also, if you had the Paintwork Protect system applied they stipulate which products you should use to keep the paintwork protected if you have used anything else, they will say that you have removed the protect inadvertently....

Be careful & good luck

HSE Lux in Silver / Black
  • Whippetman
    England 

Well when I picked up my car from LR dealer it came with an Autoglym pack in an Autoglym hold-all 🧐

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

milesg wrote:
    just be careful if they ask you 'what do you use to clean your car with'? Do not say -

Guys at the local car wash
    Some stuff I got from local autoparts store

Do say -

I use Land Rover car wash I purchase from Land Rover

Or they will say that you have used something that has softened the paint / lacquer and that is why it has failed. My friend had exactly the same, 6 months in, he used Autoglym products every week, including wax, so we know it was not that, but they claimed that as they are not LR approved and tested they cannot be assured that this product did not contribute to it.

Also, if you had the Paintwork Protect system applied they stipulate which products you should use to keep the paintwork protected if you have used anything else, they will say that you have removed the protect inadvertently....

Be careful & good luck

I've returned cars because of paint issues and had the repairs carried out with out question under warranty FOC. If my dealer tried the above I would drive my car into the showroom with out opening the doors. It infuriates me when you hear dealers trying these antics out.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum