Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• guanong
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

USB charging rate

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone knows what is the output wattage of those USB charging ports? It seems it is not mentioned in the manual. Trying to buy a wireless charging vent mount. But it may be waste of money if I buy a 20w one but the port can only achieve 10w. Rolling Eyes
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

They are Slow in my d5, but mine is a 2017 so maybe they have increased the power in newer vehicles.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I initially bought this USB detector for checking the kids consoles.

(Purchased a USB fan, for cooling purposes, but similar issue with regards to the output, as was not working properly).

Handy piece of kit, as it also diagnosed a faulty USB on my laptop, when the company said it was fine.

Will take a look tomorrow if I have time and post up a few photos. I assume it's the USB under the central console you want checked out?

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

5w
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Rears have 5 volt written on the panel. Front USB sockets in cubby box also kicking out just over 5 volts.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Cradgebank
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) S Corris Grey

Cubby Box USB socket is rated at 2.1 Amps.

Last edited by Cradgebank on 14th Oct 2019 8:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

voltage is generally constant but I experience a lack of fast charging if two capable devices are attached to the same bank, e.g., both in center console - only one will fast charge, so the current is being managed by something somewhere.
  • guanong
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

thank you for the help Road Runner 2017. Would you be able to test the Amperage as well by charging phones via the kit?

5v is not surprising, but if it only has 1A, that is so sad....
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

No problem, glad i could be of assistance Thumbs Up

Not checked that before, I but will try and get an Amp reading when phones charging.

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Charging my Sony Xperia 1, via the centre console.
    0.79 amps.

Same result for the rear USB connection.

Incase anyone is curious, also did a comparison for the front cigarette lighter and the one in the centre console. I used 2 different gadgets, to see if the results were accurate, which coincidentally gave the exact same reading, so I can safely assume its spot on.

Top 3 photos are the front cig lighter. There is about a 0.5 Volt drop, as is expected, when I connected my phone, as can be seen in the last photo. Used the original Sony cable, not an inferior 3rd party one, incase anybody wonders.

Centre console, minus phone connection, with only 0.1 Volt difference compared to the front one.
    I assume it would read 14.1 V, or thereabouts, if the phone was connected.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum