Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Internet connectivity

Do I have to use the in-car SIM for data or can my phone be used? I have a large data allowance on my phone which I could share with the car.

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Yes you can, look in connectivity settings.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Activate a Personal Hotspot on the phone and then connect the car to the phone by WiFi. Being a Landrover however, it will probably forget the phones WiFi SSID and password on every engine start.

Sometimes it works perfectly for days, other times you have to set up the connection each time manually.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Thanks chaps. I was hoping it would be simpler. I guess I'll stick with the SIM.

Cheers

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

It is certainly a lot easier that way, I have lots of unused data on the phone, but a cheap SIM is just fit and forget.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Yep, Audi, Mercedes, Volvo and BMW hire cars over the past few years in Germany and Austria. Pair your phone and off it goes. Instant traffic info via the phones data connection.

But we are talking JLR here!

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • karmax
    Switzerland 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

graemesmith1960 wrote:
    Activate a Personal Hotspot on the phone and then connect the car to the phone by WiFi. Being a Landrover however, it will probably forget the phones WiFi SSID and password on every engine start.

Sometimes it works perfectly for days, other times you have to set up the connection each time manually.

If you are talking about an iPhone - this is the β€˜buggy feature’ - no device unless it is an Apple one performs an auto-reconnect to PHS, but it does not work all times with an Apple device either, once your iPhone goes off locking provided that you have disconnected from the hotspot - you have to reconnect manually by tapping on the PHS in your WiFi networks list.
  • marvin
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si4 HSE Corris Grey

Three is free 200mb/month fine for traffic etc. https://www.three.co.uk/free_sim_mbb/order
  • eelpout
    United States 

Re: Internet connectivity

pdes wrote:
    Do I have to use the in-car SIM for data or can my phone be used? I have a large data allowance on my phone which I could share with the car.

you can use any Wi-Fi network for data as well. I have added my home and gym (heh) networks. yes, the account login is saved, only have to enter it once. so when I'm near these, the D5 switches to those networks from the 3G cellular link

the issue is, my 2017 is achingly slow when deciding which network to use. it seems like the network link is always showing "..." while it is searching for what to connect to. it may actually be better to leave the Wi-Fi option disabled, use the cellular connection while driving and then when parking, switch the Wi-Fi back on to avoid this.

MY2017 HSE
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum