Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Stone101
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

USB greyed out

Hi all
    Had the latest InControl Pro update due to the recall.
    I now have Android Auto and Apple car play etc.
    New look to the system and all is good.
    Apart from the fact that before the update i could stream videos from my USB stick to the Rear Media but since the update when i plug in the USB it appears as an option but is greyed out.
    Its the same USB stick that worked previous so whats up?
    Any ideas??

Also i have the option of Media server but wonder how big is this media server and how do i upload to it?

Thanks

Last edited by Stone101 on 30th Oct 2019 8:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

The USB being greyed out usually indicates that the system is `seeing' the USB, but has not built the directory of what's on the USB - this can take some time, depending on how many files are on the USB. Suggest you leave it in for a while and see if it comes on line.
  • Lilolill
    United Kingdom 

Hi,
    I been having the same issues, I swapped from a Sandisk branded usb to several others and it’s only the sandisk ones that have trouble working. Reformatted several times to fat32 but no use.
  • Stone101
    United Kingdom 

Yer its a SanDisk funnily enough
    Worked great before update to latest version but now permanently greyed out.
    Annoying as i just done a 4 hour round trip with 4 kids in the back and one DVD that they soon got bored of.
    Burned some kids stuff on another DVD before i left but DVD player in car wont recognize it.
    Worth trying another USB brand you think?

Thanks
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I don't think the system accepts copies. I burned off at least 30 music and films on disc, but none worked. Ended up getting an external hard drive, 4TB, and ripped some music CDs directly into the infotainment systems hard drive.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Stone101
    United Kingdom 

Hmmm i have a 4TB Seagate external HD. I'll reformat it to FAT32 and give that a try.
    Any idea how big the car nedia server is ?
  • Labbix

Less than 64gb on mine, as I copied all the songs from a full usb and it stopped due to full memory, but more than 1000 songs (mp3) were copied though
  • Labbix

I have had numerous times, yes sandisk as well, that usb’s we’re greyed out (as car was still reading the thing), but it were (multiple) software updates that finally solved this issue, using 2 64gb usb3 from sandisk and no problems anymore since a few months (now 19B, but even with 18b). They did change some hardware as well, but that was for the RSE not working, don’t know if related, but really think it was the software that fixed it.
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I use Sandisk 32Gb and 128Gb USB's without any problems - at the moment I have three connected plus my iPod - if I choose I can display 3 films at the same time (assuming I am not on the move Wink ) - and I have just had the SOTA update to the latest 19B variant without any issues that I am aware of.
  • Labbix

Any idea how big the car nedia server is ?[/quote]
    If I do a quick calculation with the 1000 songs, it must be about 40GB
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Sandisk memory cards are known to have issues. Posts all over the net regarding their reliability.

I have had all 3 cards going corrupt.
    Possible that the Sandisk USB's also suffer from the same problem?

Had a few problems with Kingston cards as well. Now switched to Samsung Evo, and no issues whatsoever.

Using these in both vehicles now.

Seagate, 4TB, Xbox branded hard drives.
    Excellent quality and sturdy. Replaced my trusty 1TB Toshiba which I now use at work.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Stone101
    United Kingdom 

I own a Seagate 4TB external but its not formatted FAT32 . Its exFat and i cant seem to format it to FAT32. Is yours FAT32 ?

thanks
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I belive it was NTFS formatted originally from the factory, but had to format it too FAT32.

Whereas USB sticks are usually all in the FAT32 fomat from the factory.

(My eldest is more experienced than me, so he usually transfers any films and music onto them).

Was quite straight forward, as basically plug and play when formatting it on the Xbone, with step, by step instructions walking you through the process.

Alot of the music and films are stored on the Xbone, hence reason he formatted it from there, and not the laptop.

Here is a link, which maybe helpful.

https://www.disk-partition.com/articles/xb...5740i.html

• Stone101
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Thumbs Up

Managed to get it formatted to FAT32 and just tried it on the school run but still greyed out.
    Strange thing is the stick that i did get working, a small 2gb Verbatim Store n Go, was also greyed out when i put it in after i took out the HD. Then on way back from school run the Store n Go was working again. Confused and i was able to select it and play videos from it.

So i cant figure it out.

Thought it could be size ? Brand ? but now dont have a clue.

Already been in with dealers twice to get the update done correctly as first time they didnt update the Rear Media.

Not sure they have much of a clue either tbh
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Possibly related to the size, but not sure if am honest. It's usually the bigger size memory cards and usbs that pose an issue.

Maybe someone one here who works with computers or in IT can shed some light on this?

One thing I do know is, to go for a well known brand. Avoid the cheap brands as will cause issues like corruption, and not being recognised. Memory wise cheaper brands seen to hold less data as well.

(I have been stung in the past on holiday, purchasing cheap brands for digital cameras, and the photos going half grey after a while, due to the cards going corrupt).

However even well known brands on the net are getting faked. Branded as the genuine item, but fake unfortunately. Lots of posts on websites about this, so I just buy them from the local retailer instead now.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum