Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Service Pack Quote

I see that the new service packs are now on line. My quote is £1209 for 3x annual services at 16k intervals. SDV6 registered August this year.

Seems ok versus individual service pricing.

Any views on whether this is reasonable? Appreciate that it’s way up on the old packs!

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Having purchased three new LRs in three years and buying a service pack once, I’d go with paying each service if and when.

You can normally play service price match with most dealerships, which can be up to a couple of hundred £s off list.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Cheers Dave. Is that because you typically only get one service done? Do you usually pay much less than £400 after price matching?

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I haven t needed a service yet. The old D4 was £280 for an A and £380 for a B service. No doubt he D5 is more.

I used to email half a dozen dealerships and then play my local dealership off against them. Worked perfectly for me. Occasionally they’d say they couldn’t match, then you just went elsewhere.

On the D5, I’d be surprised if I got more than two services, an A&B out of it, maybe just one cos until the dash alert goes off .......
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Thanks. This appears to be three services, whatever happens with the maximum interval being 12 months.

If I lower the annual miles to 10k it puts the third service as 48k/36 months on the car’s third birthday.

Putting 19k a year, the third service is 48k/36 months but estimated to be in March 2022 rather than August.

They appear to be one A followed by two Bs. Ad blue is also included, which would potentially include three interim top ups for me.

Getting tempted, will probably try a dummy service booking to see what prices are like around these parts. Locking in at £400 a pop with ad blue convenience doesn’t seem bad.

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Should add that I expect my annual mileage to be in the 15-20k zone, rather than the 8k I expected when buying the car. Commute is 75 miles a day now.

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Okay, I was buying the Ad Blue 10lts for £5 a while back. I normally wait until it’s on offer. Worst case it cost double, but dead easy to refill. Counter resets itself.

Certainly beat taking the car into the dealers and having to wait an hour.
  • simonej

£1800 is the quote for three services for mine. This spans over 6 years so there is zero point in this at all as the car goes back after four years.

What I have just learned is that the service interval for the 2.0 petrol is 24 months and 21,000 miles! Shocked
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, each to their own, but they make out these service plans are a bargain and they’re not. At best on par with what you’d pay, at worse you can negotiate a lot cheaper.

I suppose you can lump them onto your finance or whatever, but as I pay cash for my cars, it’s a no brainer for me.

As for paintwork, tyres, GAP insurance, make sure you shop around the net if you decide it’s for you. You’ll get it half the price that a LR dealer charges. Again, they scam a couple of hundred straight off the top in commission.

Personally, I don’t bother with what I call disaster insurance. If it happens, okay.

I had the D5 dealer, Guy Salmon in Stockport tell me I held the accolade of being the only person that month who hadn’t taken out GAP insurance with them and would I like to reconsider as they’d hate to see me in the position of not being able to replace the car if things went pear shaped. I told them curtly, I couldn’t see their logic, what made them think I couldnt afford to replace it without GAP? Never heard from them again. Rolling Eyes
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Paintwork and tyre insurance, never bothered. Happy to self insure that. GAP, definitely source independently and did so for this car too.

Service pack was not available when I bought my car and I have read several stories of £600-£700 service quotes, hence wondering what real world numbers are like. In that context, £400 a service seems reasonable. It doesn’t really have anything to do with being a cash buyer or not though, simply whether £1200 for three services is good. Slight hedge against inflation by buying now.

I’m happy to drive twenty minutes to the dealer and drink their coffee/do some work while they fill the ad blue, so that works for me even at minimal cost benefit. Good excuse to see the range, but I’m maybe a naive newbie in thinking dealer visits will be rare Very Happy

• hatjoepeg
    United Kingdom 

Best thing I ever did was buy that!
    Got the car in April 2017 and it was never out of the dealers for those nonsense oil dilution services . After some advice on here I argued and got them all covered by the plan.
    Had my last service and various other issues sorted at the end of July this year when another update was installed and now at last Bow down the gap between services (by the indicator) does look like it will be 16k.
    So after all the nonsense about my driving style, a computer glitch seems to have been overwritten (although they had it 2.5 days to do so.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum