Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• BruceT
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Versatile Roof Rack Wanted

Hi All,

Land Rover South Africa cant seem to get one of these for me, nor can they even tell me when one will possibly arrive - absolutely useless company!
    Please tell me who I can order one in the UK online that would be willing to ship it door to door to South Africa.

Thank you.
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Why not the Front Runner? I love it. And they have production in SA.
    https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/za/

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • Labbix

Meanwhile he got the original one, and it does look better than the front runners, but that’s personal of course. I’m for myself looking at the frontrunners because these you can use with the roof rails and the JLR ones not (I prefer the roof rails because of my ski box) and I think the car looks better with them Wink
  • Labbix

• Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 

I use the box on the frontrunner with the Thule bars

• Labbix

Didn’t know that was an option, so you can keep the frontrunner roof rack on the car and when you need the ski box just add the Thule wingbars together with the ski box? So the frontrunner doesn’t get in the way of the wingbars? And what with the noise in this setup? More or less the same as with wingbars and ski box only?
  • Labbix

Or is there another/better setup to:
    - use a closed, thus waterproof ski box together with a
    - ‘rack’ to put extra spare, petrol/water tanks
    on the roof?
    I am aware though the roof is limited in weight, especially when driving Wink
  • BruceT
    South Africa 

I went to the FR factory and shop to have a look at the racks. Im a big supporter of FR roof racks and had them on all but one of my Landys. (& Landies) The FR rack definitely is stronger and has more accessories which will be easier to fit.

The reason I went for the Versatile rack is honestly, i just dont like the look of the FR rack on the D5's - they dont sit right. Also I was warned by FR that the clamps that attach to your roof rails causes damage to them and have to be constantly checked as they do come loose.
    The FR roof rack with the clamps can only hold 80kgs and the FR roof rack that mounts to the factory mounts can hold 120kgs.
    I will not be carrying much on it. (6th spare, tent, chairs and on certain trips fuel but only when necessary). The Versatile rack is only rated at 60kgs.
    Oh and some of the FR accessories can be fitted to the Versatile roof rack due to the same size "slots" in it.

• BruceT
    South Africa 

This will be similar to my end setup when doing trips. (wont have the hi-lift jack)

• Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 

Labbix wrote:
    Didn’t know that was an option, so you can keep the frontrunner roof rack on the car and when you need the ski box just add the Thule wingbars together with the ski box? So the frontrunner doesn’t get in the way of the wingbars? And what with the noise in this setup? More or less the same as with wingbars and ski box only?

I can not find photo with installed bars on the track, but the FR set is https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/b...-bars.html
    Noice is quite the same.

• Labbix

Thanks, good to know!

Did you experience the rack coming loose from the rails and does it indeed scratches the rails with visible damage?
  • BruceT
    South Africa 

Like I said, i love the FR products and they are brilliant racks but even the sales guy at the factory warned me about this and suggested i get the other permanent not the clamp type. Zoom into the roof rail in the 3rd picture.

If you are happy with the FR look then definitely get one as they are brilliant but dont get the clamping mounting points.

here is proof of the damage caused on a friend of mine's D5.

• BruceT
    South Africa 

To show Im a FR fan these are some of my vehicles over the last few years with FR roof racks fitted. Please dont think I am putting them or their product down. The D1 is very old.

• Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 

[quote="BruceT"]Like I said, i love the FR products and they are brilliant racks but even the sales guy at the factory warned me about this and suggested i get the other permanent not the clamp type. Zoom into the roof rail in the 3rd picture.

If you are happy with the FR look then definitely get one as they are brilliant but dont get the clamping mounting points.

I have a permanent set and no damage at all.

Set up with maggiolina

• RJ-Disco5
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

BruceT wrote:
    Like I said, i love the FR products and they are brilliant racks but even the sales guy at the factory warned me about this and suggested i get the other permanent not the clamp type. Zoom into the roof rail in the 3rd picture.

here is proof of the damage caused on a friend of mine's D5.

Yeah, that is my D5.

On a recent trip to Namibia I did load the rack with quite a bit of weight.
    Did some serious rough roads at a decent speed and did not think of checking the clamps often.

Back home I noticed that the rack moved by +_25mm and caused these scratch marks on the rails. Only the rear feet scratched the rails. All the other were ok.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum