Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• eelpout
    United States 

D5 "brains" infrastructure updates?

Does anyone have any idea if JLR updates any of the underlying "brains" infrastructure year to year, CPU processors, motherboards, memory etc. or do they tend to wait for refreshes?

I am curious for instance if there would be much difference in moving from my MY2017 to a MY2020, if anything would really be that different (other than the main TFT instrument cluster and its support of course).
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

would be good if they had, so the system doesn't take as long to boot up and was thus not useless for reversing off the drive immediately after starting since the camera is so small and would actually allow you to enter a NAV destination before you get 5 minutes down the road....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Very little to nothing would change hardware wise. They wouldnt make any major changes till a face lift (mid cycle) or similar.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

when they upgrade the Sinclair ZX81 processor?

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Mordred, I think the Zx81 was in the D1.
    They have progressed too the Commodore 64 in the D5
    Still got mine in the attic Rolling with laughter

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

showing my age....I had a ZX81 and to be fair, you're probably right as the ZX81 wasn't in colour.

• eelpout
    United States 

mordred1973 wrote:
    Very little to nothing would change hardware wise. They wouldnt make any major changes till a face lift (mid cycle) or similar.

Bummer. figured as much. Not sure I can make myself stomach a new Defender just to get an updated system.

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Mordred, I think the Zx81 was in the D1.
    They have progressed too the Commodore 64 in the D5
    Still got mine in the attic Rolling with laughter

I had both. Nothing was as great as storing data on cassette tapes. Wink

Click image to enlarge

(not mine)
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Ahhh those were the days waiting 5 mins for a tape to load, along with the rainbow 🌈 colored loading bars and 8 bit graphics. Taking several hours too type a game program you got in the magazines, only for it too crash Censored

Kids moan about the Xbox and Nintendo taking 15 secs to load. Don't realise how good they have it nowadays with HD and 4K games Laughing

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

mordred1973 wrote:
    Not sure I can make myself stomach a new Defender just to get an updated system.

To be fair, there's lots more in the new Defender than just an updated infotainment system. Very Happy

Last edited by DieselRanger on 7th Dec 2019 8:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • eelpout
    United States 

DieselRanger wrote:

eelpout wrote:

Not sure I can make myself stomach a new Defender just to get an updated system.

To be fair, there's lots more in the new Defender than just an updated infotainment system.

Of questionable taste interior rivets? Wink
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Ahhh those were the days waiting 5 mins for a tape to load, along with the rainbow 🌈 colored loading bars and 8 bit graphics. Taking several hours too type a game program you got in the magazines, only for it too crash Censored

Kids moan about the Xbox and Nintendo taking 15 secs to load. Don't realise how good they have it nowadays with HD and 4K games Laughing

If only the D5 infotainment booted up in the same 15 seconds!!! Have found the trick is to set the timed climate which seems to start the computer up, so it works immediately when i start the car, mwans can ever type in a NAV destination before i leave home, how novel is that

• B50int
    United Kingdom 

I use the remote planner app to set my destination before I get in the car. I can verify the route it chooses more easily that way too!

Still doesn’t boot up quicker but at least it’s just a single selection on the sync’d items rather than typing the location in full.

Jon
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum