Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Foam filled tyres to reduce noise

Friend has a D5 and picked up a puncture. He took it in to be repaired and was told it could not be repaired as the tyres are filled with foam to reduce noise. Apparently it was a factory option
    Has anyone heard of this, are tyre place taking the pee??

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Are the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season ?

If so they have a foam layer to help reduce road noise so they could mean this. They also have a self sealing layer for minor punctures too and are run flats (never knew this).

Look at the Technology section of the webpage:

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/fi...all-season

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • L90Andy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Might well be Continental's 'Contisilent'. More likely to be fitted on the larger wheels so guess its on 22's.
    But yep, totally normal and factory fitted.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Not sure what make tyre, they are 22" same as mine
    Mine are Pirelli

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Labbix

I do think they have the road noise foam, but not the seal inside against punctures as it is nowhere mentioned on the tyres where it does on my summer tyres (other car).
  • Andy3445
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Mine are 22” Pirelli and I was told they are foam filled to reduce noise hence the £240 cost to replace it Censored however the puncture was a 25mm cut, so as far as a repair goes with theses I don’t know, hopefully they can be repaired
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

Different sizes and profiles have different features
  • rsr
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

I've just had a bill for £376 to replace one with a nail in, not repairable due to foam. Lucky i have the wheel & tyre cover..

MY17 Carpathian Grey HSE TDV6, MY18 Indus Silver HSE Lux TDV6. MY20 Lux sd6 Eiger Grey
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Well apparently they can be repaired. I put up photos last year showing the inner foam with a patch on it.

Was a 22" Pirelli Scorpion tyre on ebay. Same ones that we have.

Type in "Tyre Wear" in the search banner above and you can see the photos Thumbs Up

(Sorry i am not sure how to send a direct link, like some guys do on here).

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I have a couple of Scorpion Verde 285x40x22's sitting the garage in case I need one (bought at good prices instead of waiting until I actually needed one) and the foam is just a 10/12mm foam pad "glued" around the inner area of the tyre under the tread section. I'd say if you had a puncture you could just trim back an area of foam until you could see the rubber and then fix the puncture. (^^^ exactly as per your pics), as these tyres arent runflats.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • The Boss
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

Al is correct - that was exactly what happened with one of our tyres which had a nail in it a few weeks ago. The fitter removed a small piece of the foam, removed the nail and repaired the tyre.

Was pleasantly surprised and relieved that a new tyre wasn't needed Bow down
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

According to the second post above, they are run flats. Can anyone confirm for definite if they are or not, or are they getting confused with a similar tyre, thanks.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Defo not run flats. The foam may give the temporary false resilience of a RF, but give it a couple of hundred yards with no air in it and you’ll shred the rubber.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

The D5 size (at 285/40 x22) is only availible as a PNCS tyre, so the niose cancelling version, and NOT the runflat version in this size. It may be availible in other Verde sizes but not for the 22's

Runflats seem to be 18"'s.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks for clearing that chaps Thumbs Up
    It all depends on where you go to get the tyre fixed. Some garages will plug or patch the tyre where others will try their luck and fleece you for a brand new one.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum