Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Brooks1sr
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Corris Grey

D5 hse Condensation

Just got my new my20 in beginning of December and didn't suffer with any condensation 3 weeks later every morning front windows covered in condensation and to top it of heated windscreen packed in carpets bone dry is there anything that can be done dealer looking at heated windscreen but said condensation normal
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

is it all the windows or just windscreen. For condensation to form, there needs to be a significant moisture content within the vehicle. I would not accept that situation. As an indication of how good my Disco's air con is, I have 2 working cocker spaniels who at every opportunity drench themselves during excercise. The car crate has carpet and towelling to assist drying on the way home, You can imagine there is a very high moisture level within the vehicle. I operate the rear heated screen, which would normally condensate otherwise plus I have 3rd row air con. I do not suffer from internal condensation despite the above.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

thats impressive Harry. There were 4 of us out in mine while it was raining the other day and it took the entire timer period of the heated rear screen and 3 timer sessions of the front screen for mine to clear. Then ended up running rest of journey with aircon on to keep front windows from misting. The carpet etc is all dry throughout the car.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Do you not leave the air con switched on permanently? It is climate control and will dry the air being pumped into the car.
    I never had a problem with ANY condensation until I was struck by the leaking windscreen fault.

Once the screen was sorted by the dealer I am back to a condensation free car that lives outside and is never garaged.

The OP should have the screen checked although in a MY20 car you would think JLR have the production line fixed! Whistle
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

no I rarely have the aircon active...even in summer

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I don’t think I’ve switched the air con off in any car since about 2010. Just leave it on, doing it’s thing.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Agreed, you have to expect condensation if you do not use the climate control, modern cars are pretty well sealed and you will just drag in damp air during the winter.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

also really winds me up that theres no "LO" setting without the aircon coming on. If I just want outside air to come in at 15 degrees, I can't (unlike my previous volvo that only turned a/c on if you hit the a/c button or MAX demist). I admit on the Volvo there was a noticeable difference in accelleration with the A/C on and off, even though it (like the D5) spent a fair amount of time with the throttle close to the floor lol

I hate air conditioned air, far too dry, We turned it off 50% of the time in our caravan whilst staying in Italy over the summer and just had the windows open.

Now it stays on 16 degrees with the windows open at certain times of year.

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I couldn’t tell you what I do or don’t do. Recently I’ve ended up with a little bit of fogging on the front windscreen upon start up in frosty weather until the front screen kicks in.

It goes, but I can’t see how to change the air con or whatever apart from a button or turn the heat up or down. It doesn’t really hit the spot, recently I got cold feet and I haven’t worked out how to remedy it.

Most on here play about with things, I tend to leave things where they are. I am only bothered about getting from A to B, I don’t like music playing or much else.

Anyway, back to the point, I suppose I must look at the operating instructions if I ever get time.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Mordred... it is recommended to leave the air con running all the time, if only to ensure longevity of the system, apparently this keeps the air con seals lubricated and prevents them drying out leading to refrigerant loss.(see other posts for regassing charges!!) Until you get the ambient moisture level down, you will experience condensation especially at this time of the year.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

^^^ wot he said - my daughter is a climate control engineer and says aircon (climate) should be on all the while.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Brooks1sr
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Corris Grey

harrythespider wrote:
    is it all the windows or just windscreen. For condensation to form, there needs to be a significant moisture content within the vehicle. I would not accept that situation. As an indication of how good my Disco's air con is, I have 2 working cocker spaniels who at every opportunity drench themselves during excercise. The car crate has carpet and towelling to assist drying on the way home, You can imagine there is a very high moisture level within the vehicle. I operate the rear heated screen, which would normally condensate otherwise plus I have 3rd row air con. I do not suffer from internal condensation despite the above.
    hi yeah side windows and rear air con fitted and it's just covered 1000 miles can't move of driveway for ten minutes until it's nearly clear especially now front heated windscreen jacked in
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Could be a leaking windscreen, I guess they will have it out if the electric heating as failed.

Once mine was replaced all was well.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum