Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• kevofcov

V6 and straight 6 engines

Quick question
    I'm clear that the SDV6 is a V6 layout - I've assummed that the TD6 is a straight six.
    I been told that its not and that it is just a V6 with one less turbo. Which is correct?
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

TD6 is same as SDV6 but single turbo instead of twin.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The TD6 and the SD6 are both the same V6 block that was used in the D4 as the SDV6.

The TD6 was fitted up to MY2018 and has a single turbo. The SD6 was fitted from MY2019 onwards and has a twin turbo (and extra air intake and air filter on the driver's side of the engine bay).

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • lucero
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

They aren't the same as the D4 engines. They are new. Those were Ford units.
  • Labbix

I believe they are still the old Ford engines... a straight six would be new and called Ingenium...
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Ford engines that were developed for the D3 in 2.7l capacity and fitted to Peugeot Citroen as well as Ford Australia vehicles (Territory had it)

Obviously its been redeveloped numerous times in the 16 years since

In D4 there was a 3.0 TDV6, then the SDV6, then the Euro 5 and Euro 6 versions

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

and soon to be a straight 6 again (ingenium?)

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

have they said when the Ingenium 6 Diesel (or indeed if) will be launched?

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

It’s gone very quiet on the straight 6 Ingenium diesel, despite the straight 6 petrol having been launched.

I claim no inside knowledge, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the idea is quietly dropped.
  • Labbix

Fords contract to supply engines stops in September, with all the investments done in the Ingenium range, it would be strange not to go on with the 6 cylinder Ingenium diesel. Unless problems were found or a deal with for instance BMW was made, which I doubt for the 6 cylinders. And there are still rumors about it, but not too many indeed Wink
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

The lack of a new 6 diesel is a little strange. The Defender would interest me with a V/I6, at a lower price than the X MHEV.

I guess MY21 changes will be known soon across the range, so the diesel 6 short term strategy will become clearer.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

theres news items in the USA that the Defender will have an inline 6 diesel, with 296PS compliant with California Ultra Low Emissions regulations. So I would assume a more powerful version will be offered in the D5 in Europe, where emissions regs are not as tight as California hence more power.

It could of course be a MHEV, with the battery taking the place of the spare wheel.....since the 6 cylinder petrol will be too thirsty for anyone to consider running.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum