Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• ilron
    Norway 

Full size spare vs loadspace

Hi,

The online configurator states that the load space floor will be 100mm higher if the full size spare option is selected, and that choosing the full size will reduce avaialable load space.

My understanding is that the spare wheel is on the underside of the car, and that you can have the spare wheel with the 7 seat option. In other words, the load space should not be affected by the full size spare.

The question then is, does anyone here know the actual difference here, with or without full size?

I asked the dealer, and he said the wheel was in a box under the floor, on the inside of the trunk, which does not compute with the pictures I´ve seen of the D5 underside..

• MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

not sure if anything has changed but on my 19MY I have the full size spare which is attached on the underside of the car (outside) so it does not affect the load space at all. When you have the space saver its just a smaller wheel still attached to the underside of the car.

Not sure if the spare storage is changing at 20/21 cars?
  • Labbix

Interesting, last year the UK website was 6 months earlier up to date as the BeNeLux one and it doesn’t show up on the latter. So most probably they changed the setup of the D5’s boot in favor of batteries...
  • Labbix

Even with the 19inch wheels it’s now inside for the spare, but no raised floor. So definitely not a typo from JLR...
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

hows does the spare fit under the rear seats?

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • ilron
    Norway 

Interesting.

In light of the Discovery Hybrid news, it makes sense that they replace the spare wheel space with a box that might also be used for batteries, if that is the case then the hybrid probably will not have the option for a full size spare.

Trouble is, I want the spare, but I do not want an increased floor height in the loadspace.

If I understand you correctly Labbix, then the only space that is lost is under the loadspace floor, is that correct?
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

When is the Hybrid due??

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Labbix

Apparently end of the year, being MY21
  • Labbix

If I understand you correctly Labbix, then the only space that is lost is under the loadspace floor, is that correct?
    That’s what I understood. But you can still order 7 seats, wonder how that will work though. As all tools to change the tires are now in the boot, there should be some extra space in the right side next to the battery.w
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

hmmm and off-road car with no spare, thats going to be interesting going forward. For the "standard" model with the spare, they must have made the whole seats (6 and 7) tilt forwards, sounds complex with the electric folding mechanism too.

Does make the whole thought of replacing the D6 TD6 even more difficult for 18 months time....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Labbix wrote:
    That’s what I understood. But you can still order 7 seats, wonder how that will work though. As all tools to change the tires are now in the boot, there should be some extra space in the right side next to the battery.w

The tools are actually under a flap and the back behind the 3rd row seats and are level with the seats. My understanding is that you will lose the spare wheel compartment space which is under the car and under the seats/tools. This will then be filled with the batteries.
    Think a lot of people may go down the road of the spare wheels mounted at the back on a swing away arm like the Australians do.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

ah, that'll be in the storage area on the left on my car (not sure what takes up the space on the right under the lift up flap),

I wonder if an external mounted spare is legal in the EU? It obviously would be a modification to the crash testing of the D5 and would it not be in the way for towing?

• ilron
    Norway 

The dealer actually followed up on this.

The short answer is that in some markets the spare is stored inside, where the floor in the loadspace is affected,, but most markets have the wheel on the underside and tools/winch inside.

They say the text on the website is generic for all markets, and may therefore be confusing.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

I suspect they mean the loadspace floor of the commercial, which doesn't have rear seats. They have carried over the text referring to that into the standard 'car' configurator.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum