Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

muppetry questions

Guys - go gentle on me, being a bit of a luddite with in car entertainment, so let me just run a few things out and you can tell me what does/doesnt work or is/isnt right.

I can connect my iPhone (XR) via bluetooth OK - all hands free stuff seems to work OK inc voice commands.

I have incontrol app on my phone - connects to car OK and all the functions work OK.

Car is MY18 HSE with Incontrol Pro, inc SIM socket (with an active SIM in it)

So, in no partcular order

1) If I plug a USB cable into my phone I get a message where it appears to try and connect to incontrol apps but fails, telling me to either discoonect/reconnect cable or update my phone (which is running the latest iOs 13.3.1). I have also re-installed the incontrol app on my phone, so how do I get incontrol connected/working?

2) How do I get Apple CarPlay installed/working?

cheers
    Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I think for CarPlay, you will need to get a dealer to update it.

But....there is a chance that you have it but have already told the phone to default to using in control apps. The car can either ask you every time you plug in ‘do you wish to connect Apple car play or in control apps’ or it can default to one or the other. I think deleting your phone and re-adding it would give a chance to see the default option again.

Either way, I would try deleting your phone and re-adding it to see if it resolves that compatibility message.

CarPlay is the way forwards by the way, imho. It makes the infotainment seem far more modern. I use it on every drive. Never use the LR navigation. I do use music through USB though, not always just the music on my phone.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

OK, I guess right now it might be a matter of do I want use ACP, as I can connect via bluetooth, play music from my phone over bluetooth (by selecting my phone as the "source") I have sorted the car reading text messages to me (I hadnt set a setting on my phone Whistle ) Thumbs Up

I will try the "forget" phone thing and see what happens.

Thanks
    Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

If you want to use ACP, you have no choice but to plug in.

Your car should by now have had Over the Air updates activated, mine (July 2017 model) was done in November, without me taking the car anywhere, just appeared one day (didn't know other than LR sent me an email sort of telling me off for not having updated)

Once software 19C is downloaded it will bring with it the smart phone pack, which is Apple Car Play and Android Auto.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

After going through all the settings menu I cant seem to find out how I tell what SW version is on mine.

Al

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Depends on how much you’d use the features, but I find CarPlay a big improvement.

Need to get somewhere - waze is the best navigation app and is superb at routing around jams.

Driving normally around in no rush - google maps in satellite view pretties up the dashboard.

Music - nice album art displays, entertains the toddler in the back.

Siri - it’s great to dictate a quick text to the wife when heading home/choosing a playlist/all other Siri stuff.

If you stay in CarPlay and just order Siri around, it’s possible to never have to use the touchscreen when driving. A bonus when touchscreens are the biggest backwards safety step that cars have taken since Ford thought ‘hey we can save some bucks on that Pinto fuel tank design’.

Lots of other apps available, but they are the ones that i use.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum