Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• discus
    United Kingdom 

360 Camera Distortion

I've just noticed that the part of the 360 camera picture that comes from the front camera is distorted and doesn't blend correctly into the image from the side cameras. This is really noticeable if a straight line some kind like a pavement edge is in the picture, even though it is to the side of the car on 360 view it looks like it is in front!

I think it is more likely something to do with the software putting the image together rather than a fault with the camera, as the front camera view and T junction vies look OK. It only goes wrong when in 360 mode. Although looking at the front picture, the image looks like it could be too narrow, the yellow lines seem a bit too far out.

I've only just noticed, so not sure if it was same before recent update or not.

Is anybody else seeing this, or come across it before? Do I need a new front camera or a software reset of some kind...
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Hmm, so either very few cars have got the surround camera, or everyone else is happy which points to an individual hardware fault with mine... One for the dealer at some point post covid I guess.
  • Labbix

I suppose you are correct on both, mine was ok, never had distortion or errors...
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

I'm not sure why there is such a huge grey box around the car either.. Wouldn't have thought the camera blind spots would be that big. Apart from this though, I'd say the cameras are very useful, use them quite often and wouldn't like to be without them.
  • Labbix

With mine there was no grey box, so that’s wrong. Can’t take a picture as my D5 has gone...
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

discus wrote:
    I'm not sure why there is such a huge grey box around the car either.. Wouldn't have thought the camera blind spots would be that big. Apart from this though, I'd say the cameras are very useful, use them quite often and wouldn't like to be without them.

Are you on the latest S/W version? I vaguely remember a fix to this at some time.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Yep, on the latest software.

starting to think the front camera must have a problem.
  • SteveH
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Yulong White

Hi newbie on here, having lurked for a long time.
    I had very similar problem on my MY19 SD6 HSE lux.
    The dealer first replaced the front camera which improved things a bit, but the entire 360 image wasn't stitching together properly. They eventually gave up, having said LR told them that's how it worked...
    Another dealer replicated the issue and swapped the 360 image processing module under the driver's seat. Apparently the 360 module is different to that which handles the normal views.
    After replacing the module, all works fine....
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Thanks all for the feedback. Mine's a 19 HSE. So as well as the picture stitching together properly, I shouldn't have the grey box either. Thats great. Hopefully it's not a challenge to get the warranty repair done, but I now have some facts if required Thumbs Up
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Mine wasn't right either. The dealer adjusted it at the first service. I'm presuming it was just a software adjustment that was done, they didn't say that they'd replaced anything.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Could be a matter of aligning the cameras in their housings. The software is likely trying to stitch the camera images together based on optimal alignment - and maybe the camera install guy was a bit hung over or something, or it was Friday afternoon and he really wanted to get to the pub.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Camera looks fine, no obvious misalignment or dislodged from where it should be. That was my first thought when I noticed it. Maybe I got a VGA instead of HD camera! Or that 360 controller under the front seat needs new software or replacing. Hopefully the dealer will be able to work some magic, although I wont be able to go there anytime soon. Does anyone have a picture of the 360 view showing how it should look?
  • Goldenomad
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Indus Silver

I have the same problem with just the front cam. Been fobbed off twice by the dealer and jlr say it’s how they expect it to be. No way is it correct and i would say mine is worse. .
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

The solution to this distorted image is for the camera module to be calibrated. The front camera picture then lines up well with all the other cameras, and the yellow lines show the correct path of the car.

Once the tech figured this out they fixed it pretty quickly, but they did initially try and say some distortion was normal...

The grey box is apparently normal, it is to allow for camera blind spots.
  • Goldenomad
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Indus Silver

Thanks for confirming. I have a load of pictures and screenshots off Facebook and various websites saying exactly what you just confirmed. I thought I was being conned.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum