Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• eelpout
    United States 

yeah, I’m having similar thoughts to just geting another D5 if they upgrade to Pivi Pro for ‘21. size and no interior rivet “bling” also being key. Wink

I saw my first 110 on the highway yesterday, it had the satin matte green finish and looked nice until that (ridiculous) silver side-box wart came in to view and I’m like, sigh. Rolling Eyes

my wife also hated the white cover on the spare tire. there was defintely a “notice me!” vibe to the way this was kitted out.

also ( and maybe the D5 does this too), I noticed that when it was changing lanes and the driver was signalling intent, the front daytime running light would go off on the side of the indicator. kinda odd.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Yes the sidelight will turn off when the indicator is turned on. I first noticed this feature on an Audi a few years ago, thinking that it looks strange, as I assumed their headlight was faulty Laughing

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Optimus
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Love everything about my D5 - yes, have had the usual dealership trips but that comes as part of owning a JLR product. Only thing that would make me replace my MY17 D5 is a new rear door. They really need to go back to the D4 or Defender type of a rear door, the current one looks too much like the shape of an egg.
  • Labbix

No offense to anyone going to buy or already ordered a new Defender, but for me it’s very far from a Discovery. They shouldn’t even be compared. Which I now believe was something JLR never had in mind either.
    I like the Discovery because of the airy feel, the driving position and inside space. The new defender I was in had a black roof, but even with a white one it would have given me an almost claustrophobic feeling. Did feel more like a truck driving position, and even compared to the D4 it felt a lot more ‘truck driving position’ than I had imagined. It reminded me immediately of a Hummer, which I never owned but drove a few times in Mexico and I really disliked that car. With 3 kids boot space and 2 row space (in width, not foot space) is important. A quick measurement I did myself, can be a little bit more or less.
    Boot D5: 84cm high, 112cm width (with door opening almost the same) and length 107cm
    Boot Defender 110: 92cm high, 113 width (but door opening only 94!cm), length only 85cm which is 22-23 cm less than the D5, so absolutely way too small for my use).
    And even less space to put your tools than in the D5, instead there is some ‘cheap feel plastic’ box at the left side of the boot which eats space and felt not correct. The boot cover, which I took out of my D5 as well, was weird and even more useless/unpractical, at least to me.
    Pivi Pro is way more responsive than in control in D5 and a lot quicker as well. Cameras seems to be better and sharper. The car didn’t have the camera mirror, which I guess is something useful when you have a full boot. But for the rest I didn’t see anything I really liked. So overall it was a disappointment and I didn’t even bother to drive it anymore as it would be a lost of time, as well because it was a D240 and I prefer 6 cylinders for such a heavy car, but again that’s personal and I’m quite sure the D300 will be around the corner. My conclusion, the new defender is absolutely no Discovery and never had the intention to become one. Hopefully the facelifted D5 will be available with Pivi pro and the new mirror. A new ‘end’ would be nice and a inline 6 diesel as well, but no Defender for me.
  • Labbix

Forgot to mention:
    Width of 2 row seats together (without space to windows): 133cm for the Defender vs 137cm for the D5.
    Although the Defender felt a lot smaller than that.
    After my measurements I went back to the D5 to check and immediately I preferred the airy feeling of the Disco, the wider front window helps a lot too to achieve this.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum