Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Thinking about leaving the brand

Here's the run down on my car :-

Firstly after having the car only two weeks it broke down.

Landrover assist said it was a problem with the fuse box in the front passenger foot well, but the engineer couldn't find the problem.

The car had total power loss and it was dragged on to a low loader then taken to the dealer, they re-booted the car had it for a week and still couldn’t find the problem.

Twelve months later the car broke down again and there was water in the front passenger fuse box. The carpets and roof lining was sodden, the cup holders were full of water and they took it away a second time on a low loader. The car was in the dealer for another week and had new carpet and a new windscreen fitted.

A problem with the leather on the drivers seat and it was replaced.

Then the last incident was total cooling fluid loss resulting in the car being towed a third time onto a low loader and taken to the dealer. The dealer told me that there was a damaged engine bracket which had a sharp edge cut in to the coolant fluid pipe. Where it’s positioned in the engine bay It must have been damaged when the car was built. I have photos and a email from the dealer which supports my case.

On each occasion I had a loan car which I very mush appreciated but the last time it was a loan car from enterprise. When I had the car for a few days and I noticed a nail in the tyre, no warning light came the dash. So l believe the nail might have been in the tyre before I picked the loan car up. The loan car was clean but it had lots of dings and scratches on it and the front passenger alloy was damaged. Which was all noted before I pick the car up but didn't project a good image for Enterprise or Landrover.

I contacted Enterprise they replaced the tyre and sent me the bill £238.23 which I was upset and shocked. The only reason I had a car from Enterprise was because of the poor build quality of my car and a damaged component being used when my car was built which resulted in my car failing.

So I asked Landrover as a gesture of good will they pay the cost, which they replied I need deal with Enterprise. My warranty ends on the 6th September 2020.

I love the car and it's most expensive car I have owned but I feel like leaving the brand and never ever buying another Landrover.

Lastly my last four cars have been Landrover’s and three were brand new but that counts for nothing.

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

If I was in your position, I think that “ you deal with enterprise “ might be the last straw.

Your car seems to have had its fair share of serious problems, so could be tempting to get out.

Depending on your taste and what capability and space you need, I’d probably explore the X5/X7. Usually some great deals on.

Certainly I would check out the market in your position, and see what floats my boat. If you do then decide to stick to LR then a good deal should be forthcoming.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I feel for you, you've had your fair share of issues with your car.
    Having said that, a nail in a tyre can happen to any car. As for handling Enterprise, this may help.

I rented a Mini in Christchurch NZ from Europcar, 10 days into the drop when doing a tight 180 degree turn it lost a driveshaft. Car went to BMW, assessor determines there was damage to the underside of the car which would have caused damage to the drive train. Bill of $5,000.

Long story short, on a rental form you can only mark damage to the shiny side of the car. No-one ever expects you to look underneath. While I knew I hadn't caused any damage to the car, I couldn't prove it either. My argument with Europcar was that if they could show me the damage wasn't there when I picked the car up, I would pay. Which they could not, so they dropped the charge.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Chalkey
    England 

Thanks for your reply, I love Landrover but with my experience the build quality lets it down. We don't need such a big car now perhaps VW Tiguan size car would suit. I've always been brand loyal and not complained. I've emailed What Car, Auto Express to tell my story because your paying a premium price but your not getting premium build quality.

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Chalkey
    England 

I will pay the bill, I don't want ccj against me. My argument with Landrover is because of their repeated poor build I had to have a loan car from Enterprise. The moral of the tail is only have a loan car if you can't manage with out a car, get the dealer to pick your car up and return it.

• Whippetman
    England 

Sorry but just another reason why after 5 x LR I’m going....

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

It’s a shame isn’t it, that they can’t build them right.

After rejecting my first one, this second one will either be a keeper or my last LR.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Chalkey
    England 

It's a fabulous car when it's working, I'm going to enjoy until it breaks down again then I will get shut. I will never ever buy a JLR car again. I would advise anyone buying a JLR car only do so with a long warranty.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Have to agree after 7 Land Rovers, that will be it for me too. The present one I have is great, but you’ve more chance of finding the Holy Grail than a trouble free car and the LR Customer care, even up to Executive level is worse than useless, in fact they are rude, arrogant and obstructive.

My son has a second hand small car, I paid £3k for it, I drive it when he is at Uni. Nothing wrong with it. Probably get 20 of those to 1 Disco 5. Makes you think. Rather shove the money into property.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

at the rate of loss of repeat customers, JLR will be in serious trouble very soon

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Chalkey
    England 

Yes it's my 5th Landrover and the past 3 were brand new, not any more I'm thinking about going back to VW never had trouble with them and half the price.

I'm very unhappy with JLR all the emails I sent the complaining, in the end they got fed up and this was their reply

" THIS IS THE FULL AND FINAL POSITION OF JAGUAR LAND ROVER AND WE WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST ANY FURTHER WITH THIS ENQUIRY "

That's a polite way of saying F____k off, I replied but with no response there ignoring my emails.

Last edited by Chalkey on 1st Sep 2020 10:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

horrid to say this...but if they fail big time they have only brought it upon themselves....

I wanted the 6 cylinder, that was my main reason for buying the Disco, wanted something where the engine sounded like it fitted the expensive car and had enough power/torque for towing 1800 kg caravan.

Looks like it will be a 4cylinder 2.0 of some sort next time around

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

LRCS executive wanted to get me round the table with my dealership to resolve and mediate any differences so they could restore faith in the brand, but without conceding anything, when it was their attitude I complained about in the first place.

Oh, that would have worked well. Maybe the Executive had been working at Relate Marriage Guidance prior to this? Were they going to have a social services report and Police on standby? Rolling with laughter
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

sorry have to laugh at that!

The biggest issue is their dealers....

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

I do feel I got off lightly by securing a rejection deal on a softly softly basis, before separately playing hardball on the replacement car deal. It’s sad to read of long term owners leaving the brand.

I don’t know how they tow, but for me the BMW X5 and X7 stand head and shoulders above the six cylinder competition outside JLR. My experience of BMWs is that they are very well engineered and pretty well constructed, if lacking the luxury feel and character that brought me over to LR. I had a X7 deal on the table that was almost identical to the D5 HSE-L, bar a slightly bigger GFV (and I do intend buying out). It was a nail biting weekend deciding which to go for to replace my rejected car.

And then there is the VW Touareg, which seems to be a good deal of car for the money. Q7 too, I was offered £26k off a Vorsprung last year - bringing a £90k-ish list into the low £60ks.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum