Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Spare tyre low pressure warning

Who else gets this amber coloured warning on start up?
    It only lasts ~30s then goes away. My first MY18 D5 also did it but after reading a thread on here I added it to my complaint list. Initially was told it was completely normal, but after about 3rd time raising it as issue (the car was in a few times for other issues!) they fixed it and I never got the warning again. Now replaced car with new MY20 D5 and have same issue, including being told it’s completely normal!!! Is it?
  • RAW
    England 

Had this on my RRS, found out the spare needs to be at 40PSI its been fine since
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The TPMS system seems to expect the spare tyre to be inflated to the highest pressure you'd need on a fully loaded car.

Drop the wheel, inflate to 50psi and before you wind it back up, rotate the wheel so that the valve is on the left side of the car (as close to the sensor as possible). Should solve the problem. Thumbs Up

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • patrickl
    United Kingdom 

If SOTA is enabled then the TPMS Gateway software may need an update which sorts this false alert.

MY18 Namib Orange HSE Black Pack Td6
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Just check the tyre pressure?

After 3 years my spare was being flagged as low and the dealer put some air in while it was in for its service.
  • Bill
    United Kingdom 

check spare tyre pressure warning on start up

hi there just joined your forum to give you some advice on the spare tyre pressure warning on the later discoverys.i work in the motor industry larglely in tyres and handle many tpms faults,and have just solved this problem on my managing directors' 2019 discovery.When he took delivery of the vehicle there were no issues with the tpms system whatsoever,the warning just randomly occured.so to cut a long story short after adjusting the spare wheel pressure and some other basic checks,i decided to replace the sensor.we use a system called 'i sensor' to create a new sensor and id number which matches the protocol used by the vehicle,then wrote the new id number into the vehicles ecu,left the vehicle t stand for 15 minutes to put the sensors into sleep mode,then drove the vehicle for 15 minutes over 13 mph .job done hope this helps .so basically new sensor required.
  • teaman
    United Kingdom 

Spare Tyre warning every time I start the the car. Investigated, apparently my vehicle is coded for a space saver spare (where I have a full) - so I get the warning. But it goes away quickly so it’s only a minor annoyance
  • BSE Disco
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Loire Blue

I have this, raised with the dealer on the last service and they basically said live with it, it's a "common fault". OK so it's the only fault I've ever had with the car and the warning only lasts for a few seconds, but still not exactly confidence-inspiring.
  • D5Dodge
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Farallon Black

Hi
    I had this warning come on a few times, The second visit to the dealers they said the answer was to over inflate (remember to lower the pressure if used). They put 50 to 60 in it and no more warning for over a year.
    Seems the system is very sensitive and the wheel has no vehicle weight on it so send s the warning off.
    The 4 on the car did tell me they were all low at only 2lbs lost so its sensitive..
  • Darling
    United Kingdom 

I'm now getting low spare pressure now, pumped the space saver up to 60PSI, valve to the left, latest Software as far as i can tell and its still coming on each time i start the car.

so will this now be a dealer fix ? to get the spare wheels TPMS fixed ?

regds

D.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Common sense, if you think somethings wrong, simply refer to your dealership.
  • Darling
    United Kingdom 

I've got to the issue why my spare wheel low pressure light would not go out.

when i bought my car it came with both full size spare and a space saver, i guess who ever had it before me (EX JLR Management car) did not want to break a finger nail on a heavy full size wheel and opted for the lighter space saver.

so my low level light came on and i duly pumped up the space saver and made sure the valve was at the 09.00hrs position and as above it did not solve it.

Roll on a few weeks and y OCD was in over drive so i went to the New Flag Ship JLR dealer at Sunbury On Thames, only been open a month, floors of new cars lots of smartly dressed staff, tea, coffee and soft drinks on hand a drive in and drop service where you drive the car inside and are meet by a type a Concierge affair, they listened and wrote it all down and they said sure we can look at it, take a seat might be an hour or two.....test drove a Defender and an F pace SVR while i waited.

No fix after two hours, need to book it in and check soft where or re-book something they said...

So to cut to the chase as this is getting long.....so the TPMS works on the sensor in the valve on each wheel these sensors talk to the car and say either the tyre pressure is within a set gauge for the axle that wheel is fitted to if it sees a out of gauge reading then it flags it up.

So i took the space saver off the car and took it to my local Kwik Fit and asked the fitter to pop the bead on the space saver....guess what ! the space saver does not have TPMS! so why was my car showing a low spare pressure.... you will love this.

I Park my car on the drive in front of my garage and tucked way at the back of the garage some 25 feet away is my full sized spare, On starting my car each morning the full sized spare was still talking with my car some 25 feet away and with the drop in temperature we have just had the pressure had dropped to 41psi, so pumping it to 60psi this morning has solved it.

Rolling with laughter Whistle Rolling Eyes
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

I’ve got this in mine, interestingly it was in for its service other week and they didn’t pump it up.

So I take it I have to winch the wheel down to pump it up, what a faff!
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’ve adjusted the spare so the valve is accessible to the rear just by raising the vehicle on the air suspension.

Dead easy to top up with air then without having to faff about removing the wheel. Works for me anyway.
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Have you got the front of the wheel facing down?

Mine is facing up toward the body and then a steel security plate to hold in place.

What a faff it was too removing it. Pressure was down to 11psi. Pumped up to 55. Took it home to clean and then saw bubbles escaping. So long story short, tyre repaired pumped again to 55 and replaced all clean.

Also as recommended on here, valve placed at 9 o clock position so it’s closer to the sensor. Although the post above made me laugh it picking it up 25 feet away Laughing

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum