Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies as always. I am not interested in a PHEV, for various reasons, and hope they do not become the only option at some point in the future.

A very good suggestion Dieselranger to test drive the RRS with the same engine, at least I could do that once test drives are allowed.

Mordred interesting info about the Defender, thank you.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I am assuming you wouldn't be one of the very few considering a P360 and you would be looking at the D300?

Again that engine was announced first in the RRS and Velar, so there may he some available for teat drive somewhere, before it makes it into the D5 and Defender.

I do have a friend who works at JLR and he hasn't yet managed to drive any Ingenium6 vehicles yet

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

One of the chaps on the D4 forum has driven one of the I6 engines - said it was very good

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

mordred1973 wrote:
    available for teat drive somewhere

Shocked That should probably be done in private. Rolling with laughter
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Thanks again for the replies. Yes to the 300d engine I would think.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I would wait a month or so, find a pre-reg with the spec you need and see if you can pick it up for 25-30% below list. Possibly two months depending on how far sales perform in November/December. Or more pertinently aim for 10-15% more saving than the best carwow price for the new model at that point.

If no bargains to be had, then go for the new model. There appear to be big infotainment improvements, the engines may be of benefit (but reliable??) and adaptive dynamics is great (but may be found on a few pre-regs/stock cars).

If buying on finance, insist that any pre-reg comes with the new car rates. Unregistered stock cars definitely should anyway.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for that Equilibrium it sounds a sensible plan. I am going to try and test drive a LR with the new MHEV engines and also have a look at the new PIVI system to assist with the decision.

As with everything it will come down to cost and resale value. The helpful advice on here had led us to agree to probably trading the new car after 3-4 years rather than keeping it any length of time, of course the question will then be will the MHEV achieve a higher trade in price than the 2020 model?

Like a lot of people we have been affected financially by the current coronavirus reaction, so making the most prudent financial decision is important to get us a car that fully meets our needs, which explains why the thought process is taking longer than normal, the head v heart dilemma I suppose. Currently the head certainly has to take precedent.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Pretty sure that the MHEV will be worth more in 3 years. But not enough to make up for a big discount on the pre-facelift. I think if you can get an equivalent stock car for £5-£10k less than a new order MHEV, you’ll be quids in over the period of ownership.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Teafortwo, out of interest I ran a carwow quote on a SDV6 HSE Lux. Best offer so far is 13.3%/9.5k off, bringing OTR down to £61.6k. Presumably a stock car, but brand new/unregistered. I might throw a facelift one into the mix and see how the offer compares.

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

I did a quote on a new model HSE dynamic and got £8k off. That was with Drive the Deal.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Teafortwo, out of interest I ran a carwow quote on a SDV6 HSE Lux. Best offer so far is 13.3%/9.5k off, bringing OTR down to £61.6k. Presumably a stock car, but brand new/unregistered. I might throw a facelift one into the mix and see how the offer compares.

Thank you for that. Currently via carwow a R Dynamic HSE 2021 is coming back as just under £7k discount - well a dealer coming back with that. First time we have used Carwow though!
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

BigCol66 wrote:
    I did a quote on a new model HSE dynamic and got £8k off. That was with Drive the Deal.

Thanks for the reply, there does appear to be discounts available both on pre reg 2020 models and also the 2021 ones.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

I found the same through carwow. Whilst I haven’t gone through the specs to see how a new HSE compares with an old HSE Lux, I’d be sorely tempted with the new one at that price differential.

• TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Thanks again for the replies. I will keep people updated with decisions we make, if you are interested.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

OP - I've just gone through the selection process of a new 7 seater. For context back in 2016 I bought a SDV6 RRS which I ran for 2 years and at the end of the 2 years I swore I would never go back to JLR due to oil dilution issues I had, and the potential crank issues which LR wouldn't even acknowledge.

Wild horses wouldn't make me buy another SD engined JLR product, so I started looking at the Q7, XC90 and Tesla MX, which are the only true practical rival 7 seaters available. None came close to the Disco, on a combination of price+spec+economy, so I put my purchase on hold. Then I heard about the facelift Disco and I held out to see what it brought. I was delighted to see new engines and new infotainment

This brings me onto the facelift, what brings me back to JLR, and why I think you should choose a new order over a lightly used/pre-owned/pre-reg/non-facelift...

The facelift disco has brand new engines designed from the bottom up.
    The new engines are MHEV so are Euro6d compliant.
    MHEV means better MPG and power delivery.
    Standard spec on the facelift far far far exceeds the outgoing model, by some margin!
    Discount available outweighs any savings on a prefacelift. I've done the maths on both, stock unregistered versus new. As reference I got £8k off my order.

BTW, the P360 is just a detuned version of the P400 found in the RRS HST. I've agonised over D300 vP360, but I've gone for a D300 due to engine characteristics v what I'll be using it for.

HTH
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum