Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Windy Miller thank you very much for the reply, the information is very useful and is a great help.

As suggested on this thread, I have arranged to test drive a RRS with the 3.0 MHEV engine within the next week which will give us an idea as to how it will be on the Disco 5.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

definitely going to follow, will be very interesting to see how the new 6 cyl diesel goes...

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

There is no question that I would order a facelift model, if ordering now.

That said, my worry would very much be over the engines. Yes, they are new from the bottom up. But the company that designed them is not exactly stellar at engineering quality and reliability into a product. It’s taken them, what, 20 years to evolve the SD6 to where it finished and it still had problems recently, as Windy Miller says.

Then there is the SD4 saga. I absolutely feel that that engine works too hard in the D5, but all the failures are unacceptable.

As I say, no question that I’d order a MHEV if I was in position too, but I’d probably have my fingers crossed even tighter on reliability.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Of course everything comes back to reliability. I am hoping that at least the engines are in other LR models rather than the Discovery 5 being the first ones to have them in may give at least some insight as to any problems.

I will give feedback here once I have driven the RRS, I have also been advised a Defender with the same 3.0d engine will also be available to test drive, so will drive that as well.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

A really good & positive review of the D350 here : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/land-...-uk-review

Smile
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

TeaforTwo wrote:
    Windy Miller thank you very much for the reply, the information is very useful and is a great help.

As suggested on this thread, I have arranged to test drive a RRS with the 3.0 MHEV engine within the next week which will give us an idea as to how it will be on the Disco 5.

Any update on how the test-drive went?

Was it the D300 or D350?

Smile
  • eelpout
    United States 

Windy Miller wrote:
    A really good & positive review of the D350 here : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/land-...-uk-review

Smile

Nertz and of course we can't get that here in lawsuit-land. Crying or Very sad
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Windy Miller wrote:
    TeaforTwo wrote:

Any update on how the test-drive went?

Was it the D300 or D350?

Smile

Next week now for the test drives, as far as I know D300 in the RRS and the Defender.
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

We have driven the MHEV 3.0D in the RRS and a Defender 110 today. In the RRS we didn't really notice too much difference as to how the SDV6 engine in the Discovery 5 we drove a few weeks ago. Of course the RRS drove differently to the Disco 5 but that was to be expected. The one thing I did notice was the Start/Stop did not seem to be quite as smooth or unobtrusive with the MHEV.

In the Defender the engine is more noticeable, purely I think because the Defender is not the luxurious or sporty drive of the RRS or Discovery 5. That is not too say the Defender is not nice to drive just it feels more "rugged" than the others, that is about the best way I can describe it.

The info screen Pivi, is I would say 100% better than the 2020 Discovery 5 and that alone would ensure if we choose the Discovery is will be the 2021 model.

What we were both surprised about was how much we actually liked the Defender, both the drive and its less luxury interior which may suit our lifestyle more. The boot space is not as deep as the Discovery but it is big and with lots of head height which for large dogs is important.

So we now find ourself in the situation of Defender v Discovery territory! We are going to drive the smaller engined Defender (240d) to see what the difference it makes. We will also have another drive of the Discovery 5, even if not the MHEV to compare it directly to the Defender.

The battery in the MHEV is under the boot space (in the Defender), I was hoping it would be elsewhere.

Would be interested if anyone has also compared the Defender 110 to the Disco.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I own a D5 HSE Td6, and I've driven the Defender P400 in SE trim. The Defender to me didn't feel any smaller, but it was very quick, as one would expect with a twin charged gas engine with a mild hybrid helping on takeoff vs a diesel locomotive lump under the hood that has gobs of torque but isn't made for speed.

To me the Defender was more softly sprung - all Defenders in the US are air sprung - but it definitely felt much more offroad tuned than the Discovery, which to me was more wallowy than the RRS. But the ride on the interstate was velvety smooth, like pretty much all Land Rover products these days.

It is about the same size on the outside, but smaller on the inside than the D5. The pillars in the Defender are much thicker, and the driving position was more upright. Best I can say here is the Disco is almost exactly between the Defender and RRS/FFRR in this sense, but the seats still felt fairly comfortable. I do like Pivi Pro, but I think I'd like the bigger screen that's coming in the 2021 Disco vs the smaller one in the Defender. You will sacrifice boot length with the 2nd row seats folded down vs the Disco.

I'd say you can't go wrong, but they are different vehicles - the Defender is more purpose built for hard driving and rugged use. If you're not going to use it for that on a regular basis but still want the ability to get yourself off the beaten path on occasion, the Discovery is your huckleberry.
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Thank you for the reply. Both the Discovery and the Defender may work for us so it will just come down to preference. If we choose the Discovery it will be the 2021 model, if the Defender we will have a look as what currently available as there are quite a few for sale, including the MHEV diesel ones.

We have booked to view both cars again on Monday, side by side this time (obviously the Discovery will be a 2020 model) then drive them back to back, we are hoping one will be preferable to both of us.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

This may well have evolved... but for me cost was also a factor when I chose my second D5 over the then newly available 110.

The D5 in my (heavy) spec was an almost £80k car available for mid-60s. The defender was a similar starting price with no discount. I’ll always buy my cars out, so the GFV of around £30k for each was fine, but the months in between were £900+ for the Defender vs. sub £600 for the D5. (With the same £15k deposit).

I like both cars a lot, I do wonder if the boot access would prove a hassle in the defender in urban use.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Equilibrium for the reply. Your thoughts raise important points and ones we are also digesting between the 2 models.

We also are the same with yourself purchasing cars outright so the GFV is a factor in the choice. The long drawn out process of choosing due to the changing coronovirus measures has probably given us too much time to ponder which is best, of course the X5 is still lurking in the background. Sometimes too much research and time actually doesn't help!

We are very rural and most of our driving is similar so either model would suffice in that respect. The tailgate/rear door I think have plus and negatives on both models. For us with dogs, the lack of a proper split tailgate on the discovery and the rear door on the defender both cause issues, but they both also have their positive points for us., for example having the spare not under the dog car cages is less of a problem if get a puncture, but the less space needed for the discovery tailgate to open is also a plus.

The RR we have has negatives and positives too so I know no single model will fully meet all our needs unless we are very lucky.

As always it is very helpful to hear opinions to which I am very grateful for the replies.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

TeaforTwo, you mention not having the spare wheel on the discovery under the dog cages as a plus in event of puncture, just remember, you need to be able to lift the rear most part of the rear floor up to access the winch to lower the spare, so you might still need to remove cages.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Trevor, I am not sure if I didn't make myself clear, I agree it is a negative for the discovery and a plus point for the defender as far as the spare is concerned, having had the exact situation of a puncture on our RR and having to lift the car cages out.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum