Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Problem is that all the damp inside is creating a lot of condensation . This morning we had a frost here. The last thing I want is it freezing on the inside.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

An update. Today a LR Assist guy came out to look at my Disco. He put more tape across the top of the screen. He put a heater inside the front passenger side to attempt to dry the floor carpet. He has now organised Auto Windscreens to come out next Monday and remove and refit the front screen, but they have to get a LR replacement screen in case mine breaks. So I am still left to drive round in a damp car.
    The whole experience has left a bad taste,

• Whippetman
    England 

Sort of action a back street dealer would do to a cheap banger.....
    Pathetic

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Yes I agree. Perhaps I should write a strongly worded letter to LR customer service.

• Japseroony
    United Kingdom 

I read an article in LRO that suggested this was a common fault and especially on earlier models?
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

On the Facebook group is a very common issue and whilst was a known issue with a small range of 2017 vehicles as published by JLR is actually on 2018, 2019 and 202 cars as well.

Mine is a 2017 but well out of the VIN range and started leaking 3 months after the 3 year warranty expired.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Japseroony
    United Kingdom 

So what if any is the fix for this as I see not even a new screen seems to solve the issue?
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

there appears to be some that a new screen fixes it (but that might just be a matter of time) others it doesn't. Interestingly those who have had a replacement due to stone damage by Autoglass don't seem to have any issue at all.....

Mine was just resealed by the LR dealer, no new screen.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Mine went back to LR under warranty about a month ago. They managed to remove the old screen without breaking it, and have reseated it. So far... it is perfectly sealed.

They said that it is not just the early models.... they had another D5 in for the same thing, and that was a 2019 model!!

They said that the problem was simply that not enough of the bonding glue was used, and after about 18 months the window started to detach.... probably due to the flexing of the chassis etc (just guessing there!!)
  • Wills0906
    United Kingdom 

I had the same issue with the front screen leaking, it was pouring out of the rear view mirror! Rang Land Rover, no problem booked it in hire car straight away. Couple of hours later hsd a call to say that it was the windscreen seal that had gone and it was a known issue. Still within 3 year warranty so it will need resealing.... however, there was the smallest of small chips in the top left of the windscreen and so Land Rover said when they remove the windscreen it is likely to crack and not their fault... after some long winded and heated conversations they replaced the screen and did all the remedial work (replaced trim etc) but I paid the cost of a new screen via insurance! £210 excess!
  • Japseroony
    United Kingdom 

So basically get Autoglass to fit the screen not LR lol
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

We had this issue too. It's a shame! Sad

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • Bogblaster
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a line of water down the drivers side of the screen, wiped it off and put it down to condensation, Today my wife went to take the car out, first time its been driven since Sunday, the cup holders in the centre console were full up! Its been parked on the drive which has a slight slope, the roof lining is soaked and warning lights advising battery flat. I called LR Assist, who took 30 seconds to tell me "I'm not even going to try and start that, the roof lining is soaked and the lights etc are also wet inside". The gear change and all the buttons were also soaked. It's being collected tomorrow and I have to go and collect the loaner from the dealer, but they will give me a lift in the recovery lorry.

I wont be having the car back until the roof lining is sorted, the carpets are replaced and there are no faults with the electrics. I love this car, and 3 times a year (in a normal year) we drive it to our house in the Czech Republic, I have absolutely no desire to do this (even when we are allowed) in a car with potential electrical gremlins.

BB

MY19 HSE Lux
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Another incredible fault this one, sorry to hear of your woes.

This is the sort of thing that should be found in the climate test prototypes, or fixed within the first months of production if identified later.

Love my car too, would ideally keep it for 7-10 years, just can’t see that happening as there are too many design faults waiting to bite. Until owning one, I would have put the problems down to being genuinely isolated, but once you’ve had a couple you realise how random and haphazard the production outcomes are. Such a shame as I genuinely think there is nothing out there that comes remotely close on design, luxury (in certain models) and capability. Both the SE and the HSE/L blow away anything in their respective price ranges.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Japseroony
    United Kingdom 

Was chatting with a local LR service centre who said it was a common issue but a relatively easy fix - they know I don’t own one as they were working on my FFRR at the time so we’re presumably open and honest about the issue.

They did say it was a sealant issue or more accurately a lack of sealant that causes the problem that LR know about but it’s not every car so are unwilling to change the programming on the production line - it also only materialises after time so the tests don’t show any water ingress on the production line.

More worryingly they said was a seam that occasionally has sealant missing or not enough and this is a more difficult fix but appears as the windscreen fault so seems like once that is fixed it’s failed straight away when in actual fact it was never the windscreen in the first place!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum