Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Darras, each to their own and all that. Investment/risk appetite is a personal thing.

However, I have been investing - both buying and selling - for 20 years and pretty happy with the results. I buy and sell within ISAs for short term stuff such as cars, buy and sell within my pension to self manage my retirement fund.

Wiping out and far exceeding the interest on a D5 PCP is pretty simple in recent trading conditions.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Good to hear, but there’s a risk things could go belly up or we could all become Millionaires assuming neither of us are or admitting to it and I am told by someone that knows that the actual balance in an account is merely a collection of numbers and pretty meaningless tbh.

I used to work with a guy that invested and he was forever checking prices, he liked the up’s never the down’s.

However, he never liked me saying it was no different to gambling and he was addicted. Just my opinion that said.

Wouldn’t like to stake my future pension on it, if I had one? it’s a dangerous game to play - my accountants view too with whom I am having a virtual coffee as we speak, so yes, I am risk adverse and happy with it. Thumbs Up
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Interesting topic and sorry for taking the thread so far off topic!

Agree, that there is an element of gambling, albeit one that is researched and quantified. I also set myself rules on percentages of people portfolios that are for a pure punt, take profits when things have gone well and try not to panic crystallise losses.

To give a punt example, I heard that Moderna were well placed in the covid vaccine early testing phases around May this year. That one has doubled in value for me. Another play was to invest in a Chinese fund in early March, feeling like the damage was over (thus far, it was and around 55% up). Emphasis that these are small plays, as you rightly say we’d all be millionaires if a) it was easy and b) we had big enough balls and funds!

A recent loss example would be International Hotels Group. I didn’t panic sell in the spring, but did bail in the autumn once prices had recovered to an extent. But about 20% down on where I invested. My gut tells me that I was wrong to sell and the price would recover, but my head told me to avoid further damage and take that small loss (it was a small holding).

As for pension, I have no choice but to self manage. Or at least it’s preferable to leaving it to the default risk based options. I know as I kept small positions in them to hold myself honest in my own choices, and my own choices vastly outperformed them. The pension contains none of the kind of a punts listed above, just a decently balanced portfolio that I watch closely and make fresh investment choices perhaps annually.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

As you say, interesting. I can see your logic.

One of my friends, who has his own small business, doesn’t put anything into a pension. He simply hasn’t got one. He purchases property and rents them out. His logic is when he retires, he will sell them off, one at a time, if and when he needs money, I am not sure about that one.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Property as an investment beyond a home is interesting and one I’ve missed out on, for various reasons.

Clearly great profits (and paper profits) have been made, but i would be concerned about having all my eggs in one basket. Just as I would be if my pension consisted 100% of shares in Apple.

Of course, if your friend owns enough properties that even a catastrophic crash leaves enough to live comfortably on, then happy days!

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum