Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Dealer performance

I know there’s been a virus and I know it’s near Christmas but I’ve tried to book my car in for a warranty repair. The online central booking service told me 25th January....although if I wanted an annual service it could be next week!

So I decided to pop into the local dealer and speak to them in person. It was like the Marie Celeste. Despite having screens up at all the counters, there was only one masked (lady) bouncer at the door.

When I asked if someone could listen to the noise, I was given a lecture on how cars are so good now that diagnostics will find the problem. Her husband was a mechanic and even HE relied on computers to tell him EVERYTHING.

I stared In silent disbelief at her diatribe.
    I pointed out that although I hadn’t worked on vehicles for over 25years I had a good idea what the noise was and maybe fixing it sooner than the 25th January might save them a bigger bill.

She was unmoved.

I left with an ‘oh well I suppose with the obvious staff savings you can afford fitting a new engine ‘

She was unmoved.

What ever happened to customer service? It’s ok if they are getting a paying service job...they can do that. But a warranty repair.....they are too busy and having working constraints due to the scapegoat sorry virus.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Sounds the sort of thing Marshall motor group would do

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I feel so lucky having the dealer that I do. I always feel valued and any concerns I may have are remedied in a professional and timely manner, if I do not fully understand any issues they take time to explain until I am happy, I am so content, that I extended my warranty with them instead of 3rd party despite the price difference, Why all dealers can't be like them I fail to understand,

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

You're probably in a good location for a time-served LR dealer that's been in healthy business for decades? I'm guessing Cumbria has always been a strong and stable market for the brand. And dealers perhaps understand the importance of long term relationships and returning customers.

There are probably a lot of LR dealers in urban centres that have seen explosive business growth in the past 20 years, but little before that. Therefore with a mindset and business model focused on PCP and move on to the next customer from the large potential market, until 'that' 34/46 month phone call.

All hypothesis Smile

PS. Not a snobbish old money post, I am an urban buyer using PCPs for the last 15 years Whistle

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

mordred1973 wrote:
    Sounds the sort of thing Marshall motor group would do

👍
  • Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

By way of contrast my Audi went in for a recall to have the alternator replaced this past Friday. Someone was waiting for my arrival in the car park and instructed me where to park and where to go inside. I was swiftly dealt with and on my way in a courtesy car with minimal fuss.

Had all 3 kids with me when I returned to collect my car and the service manager greeted us with a bag of goodies incl. 3 teddies, a Lego UR Quattro, carbon fibre/aluminium pen, note pad, de-icer and scrapper.

One of the most pleasant dealership experiences I’ve ever had.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Dohnut, that’s awesome. What a dealership! Audi where...?

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:

PS. Not a snobbish old money post, I am an urban buyer using PCPs for the last 15 years Whistle

It’s not being snobby, wanting to pay for a car in cash. It maybe old fashioned. If I didn’t have the money, I’d go without. I certainly wouldn’t buy it on tick, it’s just how you were brought up.

PCP was brought in to increase sales by tapping into people who couldn’t have looked at a LR normally. They basically leased it, never owned it. I’ve seen people try to justify it by saying the PCP companies loose out or take the risk and that the people can then do something different with the money, save it for instance - come on whenever did interest rates make that viable and when did a finance company loose money!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Dohnut wrote:
    By way of contrast my Audi went in for a recall to have the alternator replaced this past Friday. Someone was waiting for my arrival in the car park and instructed me where to park and where to go inside. I was swiftly dealt with and on my way in a courtesy car with minimal fuss.

Had all 3 kids with me when I returned to collect my car and the service manager greeted us with a bag of goodies incl. 3 teddies, a Lego UR Quattro, carbon fibre/aluminium pen, note pad, de-icer and scrapper.

One of the most pleasant dealership experiences I’ve ever had.

No Audi dealer in the States would do that unless you showed up with a bag of cash once a year to update your R8.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Darras, I’m not going to sink my money into a car when it can make far more invested elsewhere. PCP is a wonderful flexible tool.

• simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

harrythespider wrote:
    I feel so lucky having the dealer that I do. I always feel valued and any concerns I may have are remedied in a professional and timely manner, if I do not fully understand any issues they take time to explain until I am happy, I am so content, that I extended my warranty with them instead of 3rd party despite the price difference, Why all dealers can't be like them I fail to understand,

Ditto. Shukers Land Rover in Ludlow have been amazing. If they hadn’t been I’d have moved brand years ago. 20 plus years a customer.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Dohnut, that’s awesome. What a dealership! Audi where...?

Canterbury. East Kent Audi.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Darras, I’m not going to sink my money into a car when it can make far more invested elsewhere. PCP is a wonderful flexible tool.

Each to their own, savings are subject to historically low interest rates- 1% is about the highest return and investments are extremely risky, particularly so now and at best unlikely to make anywhere near the 3.9% plus interest payable on PCP. Property is an option and subject to CGT, but if you can afford to do that, you ain’t gonna blink at paying cash for a car, all in my opinion of course.

The only caveat to that is take the PCP and deposit contribution and pay it off within a day to maximise the savings. Last time I did that it cost me £13 interest to save a few thousand. However if you kept that on PCP, that equates to £4,600 interest per year, multiplied by 3/4 years. I can’t remember how much the PCP rate was or what I borrowed, it’s immaterial tbh, but either way on a £60k car, that’s a fair bit to attempt to make up on investments, so I stand by what I said.
  • Whippetman
    England 

I totally agree.
    Didn’t realise you could pay off the next day! Thanks

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yep, I’ve done it a few times tbh. Not even 24 hours after purchase. I did think Black Horse Finance would quiz me regarding paying it off, but they don’t. I’d simply say I’ve changed my mind and I want to CANCEL the agreement, which is a legal right. Takes a couple of minutes, all very pleasant.

The only question they ask is do you want to keep the agreement on for a month and have the protection of the finance company should problems arise. You know if you reject the vehicle.I told them no, who wants to pay a months interest?

I’ve rejected a vehicle before and the Finance Company is an added complication you don’t need. Basically, they would own the vehicle and you’d have to have their agreement to reject. There have been instances of them not agreeing with the end consumer, then you’re in dispute with the finance company to boot.

As a point of interest, most people have Legal Assistance with their home or car insurance. They will appoint a Solicitor for you if they think your consumer rights have been breached re rejection of a car.

Anyway, back to the point, LR finance aka Black Horse, haven’t plugged the early repayment option, I d speculate because no a lot of customers do it. I’ve heard tell of some Japanese car manufacturers have, so the finance contribution becomes repayable upon you cancelling the finance. Thing is to read the small print before signing.

Oh, wouldn’t advertise what you are doing to the dealership. They get a substantial commission on the sale of finance, which is repayable if the agreement is cancelled early. Not your problem, the deal is done and there’s no liability on you, but you’d possibly get a bit of a frosty reception, but some dealerships don’t care, others do.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum