Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• joness7
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Santorini Black

The roof rails, side steps and tow bar are all easy to fit yourself, saving a small fortune.

You might find you save enough by removing these from the spec and DIY that your wheel choice isn't limited.

2019 D5 SdV6 SE Anniversary black/black
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Wheel & tyres are always going to be aa contentious discussion. The bigger the wheel size, the lower the tyre profile as all the combinations are designed to give roughly the same rolling circumference to reduce the calibrations required on the car. For me, the smaller the actual wheel size the better as you get deeper sidewalls. For me 22's, pro,s, looks (although that's a personal thing), cons, easier to catch wheels on kerb, more road noise & poorer secondary ride.
    Moving from a 18my SE with 255/60r19 to 20my Landmark on 255/55r20, there is a notable deterioration in secondary ride and more road noise which is a combination of the lower profile and switch to low rolling resistance tyres. There is no way that I would take 22's for the A/B roads i use, also the managers were regularly complaining about kerbing the 22's on there company cars.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • eelpout
    United States 

nebc100 wrote:
    My advise would be to think carefully what you are going to do with the car before you take 22” rims.

I had 22’s on mine, but I couldn’t find any all weather tyres with 3PSF symbol that would work with the 22’s.

Also, if you want to do any off-roading, the 22’s are a “no go”. There aren’t any AT tyres in 22”

I have now replaced my 22’s with 20’s so that I can have summer AT tires (Duratracs) and winter AT tires (General Grabber AT3s)

As for 21” rims... I am not sure what the tire selection is for 21” rims. Might be worth checking that to see that they are not significantly more expensive than 22’s
    !

anyone notice that for 2021 the gloss black rims have disappeared for 20"s? have to go 21" or 22" now. :/
  • Finder
    United Kingdom 

Good evening all

adds58, I hope you don’t mind me highjacking your thread to ask a selfish and generic order query...

Does anyone here have any previous experience or knowledge, or indeed know anyone who does, of ordering SVO options on a D5?

Equally, does anyone know if you can factory order 20” wheels fitted with the OEM approved POR (which are Duratracs)?

Thanks!
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

Trevorb1 wrote:
    Wheel & tyres are always going to be aa contentious discussion. The bigger the wheel size, the lower the tyre profile as all the combinations are designed to give roughly the same rolling circumference to reduce the calibrations required on the car. For me, the smaller the actual wheel size the better as you get deeper sidewalls. For me 22's, pro,s, looks (although that's a personal thing), cons, easier to catch wheels on kerb, more road noise & poorer secondary ride.
    Moving from a 18my SE with 255/60r19 to 20my Landmark on 255/55r20, there is a notable deterioration in secondary ride and more road noise which is a combination of the lower profile and switch to low rolling resistance tyres. There is no way that I would take 22's for the A/B roads i use, also the managers were regularly complaining about kerbing the 22's on there company cars.

I am worried that the 22’s are easier to kerb. As careful as the wife says she will be, she doesn’t have a great track record Laughing

I think the 22’s do look good. Tough decisions!

Edit: just seen Windy Millers other thread and the co2 figures changing so now looks like I can get the 22’s and the towing pack without going up a tax band! Thumbs Up
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Both my cars have had 21s, but I did a few hundred miles in a loaner SD6 and 2k miles in a SD4 - both on 22s.

On the motorway, I found the 22s a little more unsettled and prone to deflection - which makes sense as they have less sidewall to absorb the movement before transferring it to the wheel and suspension. The 22s were also definitely noisier, but this is ok in a very quiet car.

On A and B roads, my car on 21s was night and day better, but it’s pretty much certain that 90% of that is down to adaptive suspension, which the loaners didn’t have.

Don’t get me wrong, it wouldn’t stop me choosing the 22s if I preferred the looks of them, but on the dynamic front it’s often the case that the biggest wheels are a slight compromise. An increase in unsprung weight is always undesirable and a decrease in sidewalls always has an impact.

(Going to another extreme, I’m certain that the 17s on our little Toyota are a dynamic compromise too far, and that it would be a far better drive on 16s).

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

If you like the electrically deployable towbar, it is a LOT cheaper to get factory fitted than retrofit at dealer later.
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

I’ve been doing some reading on the DPF issues people have been having on their D5’s and I’m wondering if the new Ingenium engines will be any better?

We do mostly short journeys with maybe one reasonable run on the motorway/dual carriageway a week lasting maybe 30mins at best. We probably do 4 decent motorway journeys a year and average sub 6k a year.

Never had a problem with our D4 sdv6 Around this but am wondering if we should go for the P360 rather than the D300. Not sure how this would effect residuals and resale? Cost to buy new with same options is only £500 more which is the extra tax.

Thoughts?
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Adds58, I think I’d pick a petrol with that usage profile.

There were no six cylinder petrol options when I bought either of mine, but now I would be tempted.

You’re also less likely to be banned from city centres in the future, although how big a threat that is remains to be seen.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

If I wasn't doing really long motorway journeys which gets the engine up to temp, there is no way I'd be buying a diesel JLR product. The problem however is petrols get hit residually because everybody wants a Diesel Disco and/or the owner can't live with the worse MPG. Have a look on the LR used car locator and filter down to 1-2 year old Discos and see how many Si4 and Si6's are available.

I had a 2015 SDV6 RRS, and that suffered from Oil Dilution issues over a mix of motorway and very short journeys, so I got rid. I've come back to JLR a few years later because my journeys are now 99% long motorway (3hr each time) and I'm putting faith in the brand new D300 to have eradicates the crank/dilution issues. It really is a brand new engine, not just a tweaked SDV6.

A few things I considered P360 v D300:

- First and foremost, Journey type. Will the DPF get up to temp.
    - Worse MPG costs on P360 because the turbos are on song more often (that's before you even start thinking of using premium 97-99RON fuel which is the same price as Diesel.)
    - Much less 'torque', which is needed on a car weighing 2.5 tonnes.
    - GFV's for the P360 are less v the D300
    - The new D300 is both RDE2 and the latest Euro6-d compliant

Having said all that a small part of me does wonder if the media/press are going to get their blood with Diesels, meaning I should have gone for the new P360 and suffered the tax/mpg. Will they blanket ban all diesels from city centres? Possibly, but I think that would be in 5 or so years time, and we have a second car for shopping/short trips. Worse case scenario for me is I'll have to keep it for the full term of the PCP and then hand it back letting JLR deal with the negative equity like I did with my RRS.

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

Just checked out the available used discovery's on Landrovers site and there are literally 11 petrol cars and 400+ diesel. That is shocking! Shocked

As you say residuals are different as well and for a comparative age, mileage and spec car, the petrol version is almost 10% cheaper (£40k vs £43k).

I have to say that it doesn't feel right having a discovery that isn't a diesel and I know our driving habits don't lend itself to one. But we've had no engine issues with our D4 in 6 years of ownership (but we have had some other issues). Maybe we were just lucky on this front.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

You’ll get problems with any make or derivative of cars. I don’t think LR is any better or worse in that respect.

Surprised about the ratio of diesel over petrol. We are led to believe petrol is the way ahead short term, then electric.

I’ve got a diesel, never had any problems either. I don’t do many miles tbh. Apart from 10 and 25 mile shopping trips once a week, the only long journeys it gets are a 300 mile round trip taking the boy and his collection of tat to Uni and back.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Not surprised about ratio of petrol to diesel, early petrol cars had the V6 S/C engine, which although went well, were very thirsty, that engine got deleted and an I4P came along, pretty weak for a car of D5 size and both I4D and V6D were more suited to the vehicle, especially for any loaded or towing work plus significantly better fuel consumption figure in the main. The only real use for the I4P would be in a second car used for short runs / school runs, anything else, most people would put there own money into a diesel.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

adds58 wrote:
    Anyone know when the dealers will get my21 demo vehicles to look at? Would quite like to see all the updates and test drive it before making my final decision.

My dealer has literally just emailed me a video of him walking around their very first MY21 fresh off the trailer this lunchtime, which will be their demo.

In the video he shows me the new headlamp arrangement, the new steering wheel, new pivipro etc. But the thing he says in the video is the how quiet the new engine is. His words "it is VERY noticeably quieter compared to the outgoing V6, it's striking!"

Theirs is a D250 SE R-Dynamic, so lots of spec different to the HSE D300 I've ordered, but a good indicator of what's to come, such as the positioning of the front indicators which was a surprise!

I can't say I'm a fan of the steering wheel, it has polished spokes! Shocked

If my dealer has theirs then other dealers should start receiving theirs soon.

Smile

Last edited by Windy Miller on 19th Jan 2021 2:14 pm. Edited 1 time in total

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

This is very exciting news!! Very Happy

I will give my dealer a call in the next day or so to see if they know when they will get theirs.

Its a pity that test drives aren't allowed during tier5 lockdown Sad
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum