Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Service? What service?!!!!

I have had new Discoverys every three years since the "J" reg in 1991. By my reconning, that's quite a few hundred thousand pounds worth. If that's not brand loyalty I don't know what is!! (I also have a Series 1 Land Rover!). Our latest is a D5 bought in November last year.

Sadly, in the last few years, Land Rover support and assistance and support has dwindled to almost zero. It seems that every issue I have with the car(s) now has to be a battle of wits to see whether LR can find a loop hole to avoid responsibility. Luckily, we have made friends with the salesman we have used for the past few years. He agrees that the constant battles to get stuff done is unacceptable and has asked me to use him as a point of contact for all after-sales issues. Without his assistance, I would certainly have raise a number of Small Claims cases against JLR .

The latest is the one that is making my blood boil. A few months ago, I noticed that the tail gate was slightly out of alignment and where it had touched the bumper, there was a small patch of paint missing and there was a small dent in the bumper. As one would normally do, I added it to my list of matters to be addressed at the first service. However, due to Covid and the partial lock-downs of the service departments (and a lack of a courtesy car which was another time consuming distraction) , I was not able to get the car booked in until a couple of weeks ago.

When I collected the car, I was informed that the 16000 mile service had been performed but that two other items did not show up on fault codes and therefore could not be addressed. Then came the tail-gate issue.

I was advised that the dealer was asking for a quotation for the work and would see whether Land Rover could contribute to the cost!! Censored :censored: That lit the touch-paper. Apparently, their excuse was that this came under the "bodywork and trim" clause that states that bodywork and trim are only covered under warranty for a year and as this was a year old in November it wasn't covered.

So, I discussed this (as calmly as possible) with my sales guy and he said "this is outrageous, leave it with me". He then proceeded to construct a long mail to JLR customer service explaining that we had talked about the fault some months ago and how they should recognize brand loyalty. JLR responded with "it's out of warranty" and refused to fix the problem. As a result, and out of sheer embarrassment, my dealership has decided to cover the cost "in branch".

This is that latest in a long line of issues that have gone to battle. When I speak to other new car owners of high value vehicles such as Audi, BMW, Tesla, etc. It seems that the dealerships cannot do enough for them. Sadly, it looks like the massive success of the brand has led to total complacency and penny-pinching. I doubt I will be able to persuade Mrs PDES to buy another Land Rover.

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

That doesn't surprise me..

Mine reached 3 years at the end of July 2020. It has a 4th year of extended LR warranty but of course that's provided by an insurance company with LR branding.

The car was in for service in July, I asked them to once again look at the thudding active rear diff (known issue on the forums and facebook) they changed the fluid and it seemed to be ok for a few weeks then started to thud again. Dealer looked at it and said the seals had gone and it was leaking fluid, which they changed under warranty.

The diff still does it to a significantly smaller degree, I had a call from the Customer Experience team at JLR who told me "its a characteristic of the vehicle sir, so we won't be looking at it again". A characteristic being something that didn't thud originally but does at 3 years old? They then told me if I believe there is something wrong with it, I need to pay the dealer to inspect it and find a fault, if the dealer finds a fault they'll consider an ex-gratia payment, if not then the investigation cost is down to me.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Bunch of W*nk**s. Just like I said earlier. Used to be if you got onto the Executive, you got a balanced decision, but even that’s evaporated.

All they had to do was smarten up on their Customer Services both at the dealership and JLR HQ plus watch their prices and make their vehicles more reliable and/or address customer concerns and it would equate to increased sales.

However, in reality, some advertising executive git in a Burtons suit and fitted shirt has decided that their typical customer couldn’t give a toss about anything other than image, so shove the prices up and put a Latte machine near the Leather Chairs in the Customer Reception and hey presto, job done. Confused
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

since it's now no longer audible from the pavement, I am leaving it, if it fails then they will get a claim straight away if not then it can stay as it is til I sell it. Was going to keep it to 5 years old, not sure I am brave enough to run a Discovery that long though

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Don’t think I’ve run a LR past 4 years old and that was a D4 which had crankshaft problems.

As you say, anything out of manufacturers warranty requires something. I believe WD may start selling in the future, but that’s supposition of what they say on their web site.

“ Welcome and thanks for visiting Warranty Direct.

Our brand is very important to us and we are currently working on some changes. While these are in process, we are not selling new policies directly to customers. We will continue to sell policies via our partnership with Arval and will support all of our existing customers as usual.

If you have an existing policy enquiry, we will of course continue to support you.

Please contact us via email on customerservices@warrantydirect.co.uk or call
    0800 731 7001”
  • GLYNNE
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

It all makes for very grim reading Sad Sad
    Unfortunately none of the above surprises me in the least and I don’t know how I’ve stuck brand loyal for so long Confused Well actually I do, I have an excellent Indy which allows me to never visit the main dealers Very Happy
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Its the potential ticking time bomb of the 3.0 V6 diesel that bothers me, I love the engine for its sound, performance, even fuel economy, but the thought of it going bang terrifies me and no warranties cover it.

As with my previous cars, I bought it (naively) thinking I could run it until it was about 6 years old then sell for another 6-12 month old one, thinking now that's too risky.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yep, it’s a lot of money if it goes bang and no help from JLR, which more often seems to be the case.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d know there’s upkeep and within reason that’s okay, but £10k plus for a new engine would make anyone wince.

I just don’t know without Warranty Direct if there’s a company that will cover these huge bills without trying to wiggle out of it, which seems to be all some of them do unfortunately.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Have had a look around and everyone excludes "inherent/design defects" (including the JLR extended warranty).

Had a look at Warrantywise, but they have more holes in their t&c than a well known cheese.

So it is very much run the gauntlet and if you're one of the unlucky ones hit with what I have heard on the V6 is at least £17k (seem some SD4 owners saying their new engines are £22k) that JLR stump up and fix it as a gesture of good will. Also a reason to keep it JLR dealer serviced as whilst a bit dearer at least they cannot try to use that as a reason to reduce any ex-gratia payment.

It does however, make the first time LR owner think "god never again, not worth the stress". I have never in the 35 years of car ownership had engine failure even cross my mind until Discovery ownership.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Me too I’ve got the admit. The D4 crankshaft sensor problem was well documented and despite the part costing pennies, we were into 4 figures. I got LR to pay as it was three months out of the 3 year warranty and I’d purchased the car new from a main dealership and had all the servicing done there.

The DP made no bones about it that he’d taught my corner with LR etc. etc. I don’t know if he was blowing smoke up my ar** or was genuine. Likewise the service manager whom said despite LRs time to complete the repair, his Techs had spent another 20 hours doing the job, so they were out of pocket anyway.

However, the car never sounded or seemed right thereafter and I got rid of it for a new one. You might be lucky and get on ex gracia payment, but not two on the trot and still I’ve purchased LRs. Doh, when will I ever learn?
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

Not sure it helps, but my wife now runs my old D3. We've had it the best part of 15 years and done 275K in it. Great for dogs, tips etc etc and it did a ski trip to the alps each year and a caravan tour around France each summer right up to lockdown! Had a new engine (warranty paid) and a couple of gearboxes (I paid for one, warranty the other) but other than that has been pretty reliable. Still genuinely runs like new and is very tidy inside, all panels straight with no dings, but a lot of bonnet stone chips. Think that's all been possible largely thanks to a very good dealer and I looked after it and kept on top of things. With depreciation and repairs it's cost me substantially less than another 4 Discoveries over that time. I kept at it because I genuinely love the D3.

Times have changed and the world has changed and it doesn't make sense keeping cars that long these days. I really like having a smart/tidy new D5, but wouldn't run it without a warranty, and won't keep it long enough to try a 3rd party insurance. Will just swap it for another LR as I love them. Rivians and Chinese brands coming in will shake things up over the next few year think!

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Have to say the depreciation part is what makes me tend to keep the car longer. My XC60 was 6 months old, bought for £29,000 had it til 6 years old and 103,000 miles sold it for £9,000. It was a bit "child used" and cost me £20,000 over 5.5 years so not too bad.

The D5 was 14 months old when I bought it and I have had it close on 2.5 years and its now only on 43,000 miles and its cost me at least the £20,000 the XC60 cost over more than double the time.

The thought of keep them rolling over at £10k loss per year is insane, if it had been bought from new it would have lost over £40,000 in 3.5 years now, hence a banger is starting to look way more attractive.....

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum