Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• eelpout
    United States 

Windy Miller wrote:
    33Lurcher wrote:
    Still connection by usb lead .

Rendering the £300 wireless charging option I specced (because I was told CarPlay would be wireless, and I don't like having my phone plugged in for the long journeys I do), utterly useless, given I'm going to have to plug it in anyway. Rolling Eyes Laughing

wait, so CarPlay is not wireless? How about Android Auto, as they are both supposed to be so with Pivi Pro.

what's your dealer say about it?
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

@eelpout

The promo that was released last November at launch of the facelift, all said that the CP/AA was wireless, but when the brochures and manuals were released it stated it was wired.

I queried with my dealer mid December, who asked JLR, they said all Pivi Pro is currently 'wired' for CP/AA, and in Feb 2021 LR were dropping an OTA software update which enabled wireless CarPlay/AA across all Pivi Pro equipped cars.

With that in mind I confirmed my Wireless Charging to my order for convenience. It now transpires that there's been no OTA update and it' still wired connection.

I'll be asking for my £300 back if this is the case. Rolling Eyes

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • eelpout
    United States 

Windy Miller wrote:
    @eelpout

The promo that was released last November at launch of the facelift, all said that the CP/AA was wireless, but when the brochures and manuals were released it stated it was wired.

well, that's concerning. maybe they'll have it working by the time the 2022 I ordered arrives. Wink
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:
    Get your money back and buy https://cplay2air.com/ or https://carlinkitcarplay.com/

Using that would mean the wireless charing is needed. The wireless charging options is totally independent to wireless CarPlay. Smile

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

One drawback of wireless is poor audio quality, so if you have Meridian surround and play off your phone then be glad you are plugging in.

I bought one of those car2play things as I thought it would be brilliant for all the short runs I do, but I’ve unplugged it and gone back to plugging in the phone. Even in plain old Apple Music the difference was very noticeable. I’ve now gone back to plugging in and a Deezer hifi subscription to get the best out of the system.

If music streaming is not your thing then I guess car2play is excellent.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Just driven car since picking it up on Monday (wife uses it daily) , new to Pivi Pro and noticed the Rev camera image stayed on after the manoeuvre , thought it would go off a a couple of secs like the DS did .
    So just pressed the Home button , any thoughts ?

2021 D250 S Eiger Grey HSW Privacy Hi/Low Ratio
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    One drawback of wireless is poor audio quality, so if you have Meridian surround and play off your phone then be glad you are plugging in.

Factory Wireless CarPlay uses Wi-Fi hardware for data transfer from the phone to the car, not Bluetooth (BT is used for the initial 'handshake' but not media) so it can transmit as much as lossless audio via wire.

Car2play adapters run purely over bluetooth, which is why there's a distinct audio loss (I had one in my current car and switched back to using the wire purely because of the compression degradation). If a car doesn't have Wireless CarPlay it's normally down to one of two reasons; there isn't the Wifi hardware in the car (so you need to use an adapter), or it's not yet been activated yet.

Smile

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Good to hear that Windy, makes perfect sense! Adapter aside, I’d only used wireless CarPlay in a X7 and that had a comparatively poor stereo (it wasn’t the £3k option one, standard HK).

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Managed to have the access to the car today , getting used to the seat folding etc , also exploring the Pivi Pro screen .
    What I couldn’t work out was why someone would want to put the heated front seats on and adjust temp via this screen when the dial is there to put on and adjust .

Am I missing something ?

2021 D250 S Eiger Grey HSW Privacy Hi/Low Ratio
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum