Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Jayd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

LR have stopped the cloning of keys. As for relay theft I don’t see how it can be stopped as the it only amplifies the signal from the key to another device so the car thinks it’s the key next to car. The best way to stop car theft now is to stop making cars with keyless entry. And to be honest it’s something I am sure we could all live without.

So until that happens either, disable the keyless entry or keep your keys in a faraday pouch or something that does not allow the signal from the key to be transmitted.

It seems crazy that after getting to the point where cars could not be stolen without a key, we have taken a major step backwards because people find pressing a button to unlock too common.

2021 D5 Dynamic HSE on order to replace my ‘ageing’ 2018 D5 HSE
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Labbix

That was my understanding as well, but the thieves must have found a ‘better scanner’ or so.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

The car uses a rough geolocation to understand how far away the signal was when it was sent. Time Difference of Arrival is the same method your brain uses when sounds arrive at your ears milliseconds apart, to tell you where to look when you hear a sound. JLR vehicles have several (I think five) receivers around the car for proximity unlocking, so each of those receivers can "hear" the signal, then the computer does the math, so remote unlocking attempts even with a "louder" amplified signal from farther than X feet can be rejected.

Unfortunately pushing a button on a remote to unlock your vehicle is less secure. That signal is much easier to capture and spoof because it's a more powerful signal than the low power always-on signal from your fob, and it's an active command rather than a passive query-response to/from the fob. Touching the vehicle (grabbing the doorhandle and pulling) triggers the vehicle to query the fob and get an authentic response from very close to the vehicle. So not only does someone need close and repeated access to your fob to successfully clone it (say a regular valet), but they also need to get very close to your car to unlock and start it. And if you're being targeted in that manner there's likely very little you can do until such time as they incorporate blockchain and/or biometrics into auto security.

Most attacks however are from people setting up in a car park and recording lock/unlock signals, trunk opening signals, and then rebroadcasting them to get the car to effectively raise its hand by flashing its lights/honking (or literally raising its trunk lid) for the thieves to more easily find it. Those are the more common ones that JLR vehicles successfully reject.
  • mwsedgwick

Thanks @dieselranger reassuring to hear.

That was my understanding as well and was explained to me in detail when we collected our 2021 model last week.

I was still thinking about buying a faraday bag/box but reading the above it seems its not worth buying?
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Faraday pouches are very cheap and proven to shield the signal from the key, so for me it is a no brainier to keep the keys in one. LR or the dealer will never tell you there is a possible risk of theft so sorry but I am not convinced that they are as theft proof as they claim.

As soon as a manufacturer comes up with a way of stopping one way of obtaining the signal the thieves will find a way of bypassing it.

2021 D5 Dynamic HSE on order to replace my ‘ageing’ 2018 D5 HSE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

And the moral of all these posts is to do what ever you can live with.

Who cares what the guy or girl down the road is doing or even if he or she cares about what you are doing.

. Wink
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum