Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• adds58
    United Kingdom 

Windy Miller wrote:
    the first time fully loaded (4 kids and paraphernalia!), with a bit of night driving as well. All in all the kids were very impressed,:

@windy did you get three car seats into the second row? I was looking for the photo you posted but can’t seem to find it now.

We test drove a D300 today and were impressed. However it was a bit tight getting a group 1 plus 2 x group 2 car seats into the second row.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Sorry for the late reply, I've not been on here for a while. I took the pic down because I get jittery having pics of my kids out in the public domain.

My kids are 5, 5 7 and 7, so I have 2x Group 2-3 seats (Cybex Solution Z i-Fix) in the second row, and 2x Group 2-3 seats in the 3rd row. With the two seats in place in the 2nd row it's only just possible to get the armrest down in the middle, so I doubt you could get a 3rd seat in the row. There's enough for a small adult and/or teen to sit there but its a squeeze.

Car's still going great, and has surpassed all expectations. It's now got 2k miles on the clock and has been back to have the animated indicators activated. Smile

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Windy Miller on 15th May 2021 1:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • Labbix

We have a 7 year old and two 5 year olds. We managed with 2 maxi cosi rodifix airprotect on the outside and a Volvo booster seat with back in the middle. As the latter is very slim.

The Volvo one (not ours, picture from the internet)

• adds58
    United Kingdom 

@windy great to hear the car is still going well! It’s looking good 8n that photo!

@labbix thanks for letting me know about the Volvo seat. That may be just what we need for the centre!
  • Labbix

Just saw a picture from a few years ago:

- 2 family fix with pearl on it (maxi cosi)
    - 1 rodifix airprotect in the middle

Worked as well Wink
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Hello all - thought I'd pop my head back in and give a little update for those that may be interested.

The car turns 2yr old in March (where's the time gone!) and with 20k miles now under its belt what can I say, but, it's amazing! Not a day goes by where it doesn't astound me how good it is. The engine has got better and better (still as quiet as a mouse, and the MHEV effortlessly hustling it along in a way that a car of such weight shouldn't physically be capable of!), economy in great, and it's coped with everything mother nature has thrown at us (snow, wind, rain, ice etc) with complete ease. Ferrying around the 4 kids is easy, the Pivi Pro OTA updates have ironed out the minor bugs, and added the all important Wireless CarPlay, all meaning I genuinely can't think of anything I would want to replace it with.

Annoyances? none I can think of (it really has been that good!), but the week before Xmas it did develop the dreaded 'squeal' on cold/first start, and after a call to LR assist it rendered the car out of action between Xmas and New Year as I waited of the dealer to reopen, but as it was due to go in on the 6th to have it's first service anyway, they fixed the problem at the same time.

For those with MY21> who may have the same 'squeal' issue, it's the FEAD belt, but the belt is not the actual first cause of the squeal. On MY21>, the Air Con unit bracket isn't/wasn't torqued correctly at factory, and over time (mine took nearly 20k miles to start!) it works loose, this then causes the FEAD belt to move, and in turn causes the squeal.

I called LR assist out, who diagnosed it straight away. He said it was common and LR know about it. He advised me not to drive the car anywhere but to the dealer, as there was/is a risk of the belt snapping. So when it went in for it's first service they also (FOC) replaced the air con bracket, re torqued correctly and also replaced the belt etc It's now back to normal, and after the fresh service is running as smoothly as ever.

Apart form that minor hiccup, it's been faultless and smashed the 20k miles with ease. My dealer is desperate for me to 'trade-in' the car, but given the huge discount I got, coupled with all the price rises since I bought at the end of 2020, and the removal of many things as standard, I have so much equity that it would be utter folly to sell it, so it'll be staying for a while yet. I must admit I was tempted to look at the new LWB 7 seat FFRR, but in equivalent spec it's pretty much double the price I paid for the Disco so I cancelled that idea.

A quick picture of when i picked it up last week from the service and fix. I arrived to find it parked next to very muddy Metropolitan. The red Disco Sport HSE was my loaner, and although was "ok", it's certainly not anywhere near the same league as the full Disco. Here's to another 20k miles! Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Great to hear some positive feedback. What sort of mpg are you getting from yours?

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Hi Col

I think you were in the order process as I picked mine up, but you were delaying?

Driving normally, MPG is c40-45MPG on the run. In the height of summer that can rise to c48-49MPG, in the depths of winter it drops to c36MPG.

Take it easy steady and I can add 10% to those numbers
    If I drive it hard and 'make pace', I can take 8-10% off those numbers.

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

I finally got my D5 back in July having been offered my original order although no electronic dash which is rather annoying although I had it for the original price, discount and finance rate which has turned out to be bargain with all the price rises.
    I have only done 3000 miles in mine and I am averaging about 34mpg. Hopefully will get better with more miles.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Those MPG numbers should improve as your miles pile on. I know mine is more efficient now than when I first got it. A steady 50-60mph is certainly the sweet spot for MPG on these. 70-75 moves it slightly down but not by much Anything over 80-85 leptons though and it's early 30's.

Re values, it's mad isn't it! My car when ordered in Dec 20 was £72k list, and after discount was a smidgen over £65k. Now if I want the same car & spec it's £78k list and no discount, plus there are features missing from standard which you have to pay extra such as fog lights, spare wheel, power wash, electric tailgate, electric 3rd row etc. That's also all before the APR rates which have doubled.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum