Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Brake pads!

First service at 17k miles, rear pads at 3mm minimum! Also recommended new rear discs as they are scored! This is my 4th Disco, never needed brakes sub 40k before.
    LR wanted £777 just to replace the rear pads!
    Anyone else needed pads this soon? Any issues with disc scoring?
    Any pointers where to source genuine LR pads?
    I assume pads easy to change like other cars?
    Thanks
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I had to replace mine (all four, pads and discs) at about 30,000 miles. Dealer was quoting me $1800US, about $1,000 for parts alone. All four discs had a visible lip on them. I'm told pad compounds these days are designed to wear together with the disc which together help provide shorter stopping distances on heavier vehicles without the need for massive disc sizes.

I bought better pads and discs online for under $500US and did the fronts myself, had my dealer do the rears with the parts I bought, they charged me $140 in labor. Here's what I bought - not sure if the same parts are available in the UK but something similar should be out there:

Power Stop K7260-36 Front & Rear Z36 Truck & Tow Performance Brake Kit

If you have Adaptive Dynamics, the vehicle drags the inside rear brake on cornering for better turn-in. All others have Cornering Brake Control which modulates braking while being applied in turns to enhance stability. These features increase wear dramaticallly.dramatically.

Fronts were easy,, nothing special. Rear brakes are more difficult - the EPB is easy to screw up and if you do screw it up it's going to make the original dealer quote seem a downright bargain.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

33000 and all good so far

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Interesting, my first D5 didn’t have Adaptive Dynamics and was still fine at 30k when I got rid due to oil dilution. The new one, does have AD!
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Qwertyd5x.. changing pads is easy, but you need to disengage and re-engage thhe EPB, (see other thread on this site) as for discs, I can't imagine that would be difficult either. Regarding pads, they don't need to be LR original, good quality alternatives are a fraction of the price, even EBC would be cheaper, discs and pads.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

similar to OP I was told mine had 3mm left at its 4 year service and 25000mls. they are now squealing like a stuck pig so its off to Parks it goes - £290 for pads alone, discs are ok. well they were ok.
    it has also decided to throw up an emission warning so well timed or black magic from the car?????
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I have/did have a problem with the brakes. Booked it in for the start of July. Joys of motoring.

See https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread3062.html

The £290 you were quoted for pads all round was it including parts, labour and VAT? Cheap if it was.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum