Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Whippetman
    England 

Cheerio

Going over to the dark side after 15 years of LR ownership!
    Can’t say that I will regret it as lately LR service and reliability has been crap.
    Loved the look but hated the stealers.
    Having said that thanks to the great used prices now I’ve come away with a cash deal greater than 12 months ago.
    Good luck and kind regards to you all Thumbs Up

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Whippetman
    England 

Yes
    2021 520d Msport xDrive Touring

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Enjoy the beemer mate! I had about ten years in BMWs before my first LR in 2019. Had the ancestor of your new engine in a 2009 320d that I did 105k in and sold on its original pads and discs.

Other than the fact that a G31 5-er and a D5 are very different types of vehicles anyway, I’m sure you will enjoy the change. Very different marque propositions (I’m steering clear of calling them brands as both LR and BMW have far deeper heritage than that). What one does well, the other does less well, and vice versa. But both add up to good vehicles, one tries your patience more whilst also having more character.

As for dealers, I’ve had pretty good experiences with my local LR dealer (think you know who it is) and almost unfailingly dispiriting experiences with my local BMW dealer. And great experiences with other BMW dealers.

Enjoy iDrive, that’s a big plus for Munich, especially weighed against ICTP.

All the best, Rich

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

PS. What colour is that on the configurator screenshot? Looks too light to be Tanzanite.

Are you on bimmerpost? The off topic section of f30post (last gen 3/4 series) actually has a number of G30/G31 owners. Plus some windup merchant with a D5 who latterly had a 440i Very Happy it’s a great sub-forum.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Should say UK off topic in last post. You don’t want to wander into the US o/t one, it caused a complete ban on political discussion on the forum.

• Whippetman
    England 

Equilibrium wrote:
    PS. What colour is that on the configurator screenshot? Looks too light to be Tanzanite.

Are you on bimmerpost? The off topic section of f30post (last gen 3/4 series) actually has a number of G30/G31 owners. Plus some windup merchant with a D5 who latterly had a 440i Very Happy it’s a great sub-forum.

Colour is called Phytonic Wink

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Good luck. I’ll keep the D5 a bit longer to see how motors are evolving then onto a Volvo XC hybrid or pure electric something I think.

I am fed up with keeping LRs bank account in the black and of crappy LR dealerships. Also tend to think they are well behind on the technology front.
  • Whippetman
    England 

3-5 years time I’ll be looking at an electric mini estate thingy Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

• Whippetman
    England 

Cars gone in to Guy Salmon Bristol, nice deal with Zion who no doubt will make her gleam like new.
    Why not?
    New engine and new windscreen in last few months what else could go wrong!
    Loved my 5 LRs over the 15 years but a change is as good as a rest I’m told….
    Take care all, will keep an eye out for you all👍

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Good luck. Very Happy Thumbs Up
  • Whippetman
    England 

And to all Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

• drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

Hi Whippetman

Good luck with your new choice!

I'm going full cycle - After a series of Discos we went for a Mercedes Estate as a "sensible choice" for living in London. Never really gelled with me - kept looking back at the "swiss army knife" that we had left behind. No longer in London and looking forward to getting our D5 which after many delays was last heard of at the exit port, so hopefully in the UK now.

Selling the Merc:
    Since March WBAC price went up and up but eventually went with Motorway who offered £1.3K more via a Merc dealer. Strange thing is our local Merc dealer who did all the servicing seemed very arrogant and implied he was doing us a favour with a valuation less than offered even by WBAC, implying we would come crawling back to him when we could do no better!
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Whippetman wrote:
    Cars gone in to Guy Salmon Bristol, nice deal with Zion who no doubt will make her gleam like new.
    Why not?
    New engine and new windscreen in last few months what else could go wrong!
    Loved my 5 LRs over the 15 years but a change is as good as a rest I’m told….
    Take care all, will keep an eye out for you all👍

Agree, sometimes it’s just nice to have a change of brands. I’m going the other way as just want something non-BMW for a change. They are great cars, had some issues with a few but nothing major really.

Enjoy the 5 series Smile
  • Whippetman
    England 

Thanks!
    Will keep an eye open and keep in touch.
    Immediate reaction is car is a great deal lighter, nimbler but not so good on visibility until I get used to that.
    Similar 2.00 litre engine size but being 500 kg lighter it is a noticeable advantage.
    Still have the Xdrive benefits.
    See how she goes and with let you know in due course.
    M

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Visibility is definitely a LR strength. One of the (few) drawbacks of the X7 for me was how poor the visibility was for an ostensibly similarly sized vehicle.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum