Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

I'd also read that they have specific requirements around safety for their chips which a lot of other semiconductor makers do not require. I imagine that'll be around being able to function in lower and hotter temperatures than normal chips might be happy with. Could be additional testing or validation as pretty key you want your airbags going off in an accident whereas if your phone fails to do something it's not life or death.

I think the chips that carry out more modern stuff like lane-keeping and infotainment aren't as old for instance. But the chips that control old skool tech that isn't nearly as complex like ABS, is there a person sat in a seat so you need to put your seat belt on and so on just don't need to be new and high tech. Actually probably safer to stay with a tried and tested design that's also quite cheap now I imagine.

Maybe electric cars will push these things to newer chips as the power draw of a car as a whole becomes more important to manage range. Whereas on an ICE car you could just enlarge the fuel tank by another litre to keep the range at close to no real extra cost.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Just another litre of fuel, there speaks the man with the V12 Smile

It’s a really interesting topic and has shown how finely balanced supply and demand is. Over on the BMW forums, a 2018 340i was linked to thats for sale for only £1k less than I paid for my factory order 440i. Incredible how the values have rocketed even on cars that are far from new.

Has your M760 reversed its depreciation?

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Not checked my M760Li for a month or so. I was going to get rid of it actually last month and just share the wife's car for a bit but then she got called back into the office so need my own car for a bit longer.

I imagine it's not affect as much like other cars, a V12 is still a hard sell to most people in this country because of the fuel costs. I've noticed fuel is creeping up, 72.4 litres of Shell V-Power cost me £114.32 yesterday. I think that's my record in terms of cost and it's a 80-litre tank. (Only showing 30 miles left when I filled up).

Who'd have thought a Land Rover SUV would be an economy option Very Happy
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Motorway will give me 45k this week for my 3.5yr old (2018) 3.0HSE. It's bananas.

I have similar views on how long the bubble will last- another year at least for the chip problem to resolve in some form. Hence I have joined the line of orders for a new HSE. Got a reasonable discount and should still be able to cash in on the relatively high resale of my current disco if i got my timing/prediction about right...
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

On economy, 81 litres went in this morning for £110. Fuelly tells me that the 28.5mpg of the previous tankful is my best yet. Also coincidentally parked up tonight with exactly 5000 miles on the clock.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • TechnoTurkey
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

I think the current prices have made up my mind that I'll sell later this month. WBAC are offering me £15k more than I currently owe on the finance, if I move to a cheaper car for a couple of years (prob a V90) then I'll be in a good position to buy another Land Rover (probably Defender) later on.

Just getting the MOT sorted and a couple of other bits then we'll see what I can get for it. I'd due to shell out for another 12m of extended warranty in December and that combined with potentially getting zero back for it next December when my finance is over seems to make it a no brainer.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Prices for used are now falling like a stone.
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

Just checked mine on WBAC and still more than I paid new...
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yes, but they are falling, mine has gone down £3k - £4k depending on who you check. in truth they could never maintain the sort of prices they were fetching and it was bound to revert to what it was, which means it still has a way to go.

I pity the people that have signed up for a new car, by the time they get theirs, used prices will be well down and their new car will be RRP.
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

I have two new cars on order one of which is a D5, I refused to factor in the current trade deal the dealer gave me unless they would agree to honour it when delivered. They wouldn't do that obviously and as I'm looking at at least 12 months before I take delivery of the new D5 I am factoring in a 35% drop in used prices to make sure I'm not too shocked we the time comes to sit down and look at the deal.

The other car is a similar storey but a little more interesting as its an EV, I want some key options I see as basics as the manufacturer makes you pay extra for everything such as folding wing mirrors! with the options they mentioned it could be early 2023 Shocked The trade for that is another EV that's only 10months old, current value is 2k more than I paid new, its all just bonkers Rolling Eyes

Last edited by RDR on 18th Nov 2021 4:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yep, what you say makes sense. I always got the feeling the dealers had us over a barrel and were simply conning us, quoting RRP due to chip shortages, but offsetting it against an inflated trade in price even if they knew there wasn’t any intention of paying us that when the time to do the deal approached.

It doesn’t matter which way you cut it, the consumer will always take the hit.

Absolutely nothing has improved unless you sold your car at a high price and we’re prepared to wait without a car or buy a scrapper.

Iam also fed up with making literally everything a optional extra.that’s just a ploy to reduce the overall cost so it looks good, but then to pile it on if you want wheels or even a door, that’s how bad it’s got. Someone will have to pay for the pandemic losses and you can bet it won’t be the manufacturer or dealership.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Healthy discounts have never stopped, ordered my new car ( Sport P400e ) in June and got £10k discount and delivery next week. Thumbs Up

Sold my existing car at a profit. Never likely to happen again! Big Cry

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Values have gone down, but still high. Mine went up £4k in October and down £3k so far in November. But at 17 months old, it’s WBAC is still £16k higher than the trade-in value of my 12 month one in mid-2020.

I’m expecting it to drop significantly. Needs to lose over £1k a month on average until the PCP ends in 30 months to get down to the GFV.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

I couldn’t find any discounts tbh and I am pretty good at finding them. Someone on here said 10% at a certain dealership and I got the contact details off him, but when I phoned up, it was back up to rrp. Why would any dealer give you a discount when they have a waiting list?

I suppose the moral of the story is any discount you got 6 months, 6 weeks, 6 days or 6 hours ago, isn’t the discount you would get now..
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

The D5 I have on order was with a 10% discount plus a few dealer freebies ordered the week before MY23 was announced. Week later got the phone call saying they couldn't honour it which is when all the fun began. Less spec for about 12k more when you look at the whole deal. Best deal I have found at the moment is 3% discount.

Its so far off delivery I'm not committing to the deal, they have my order deposit and we can discuss closer to the time who knows what the world will look like in 12months. If it doesn't stack up I'm quite prepared to let the build slot go I'm sure they would fill it in seconds.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum