Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

The highlander does look like a reasonable all round car. I imagine it wouldn’t quite hit my lofty comfort goals I had when looking for my first SUV but cannot argue it seems like a good value and nice package overall.

As for the wife. Just prepare the dog house for your 1 - 2 week stay and you’ll be fine after that Laughing
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Yep, you’re absolutely right FastlaneJB, the Highlander isn’t at comfy as a Disco - probably nails 80% of it. Interior materials are in the nice and durable category; not luxury.

I had one for a day and did greatly enjoy the superior urban refinement (petrol hybrid) whilst missing some of the above.

With a daily 2x two mile school run, I also think the Disco may suffer from the abuse in the long run.

Mainly this is about money though and the simple opportunity to cash in on the D5 value. Normally this would be a crazy time to change as the car would be worth bundles less.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

If the car does what you need of it and are happy with it plus you get to save £20k over the lifetime of the vehicle then does seem to be a no-brainer.

Yeah, diesel's in general just not good for lots of short journeys. One of my worries actually as used to do a certain amount of long-distance trips for work but since the pandemic that's been zero so far. Guessing it'll come back a bit over time but probably never quite as much. Will need to do some longer distance trips myself once I get the Disco so the DPF can do its cleaning trick.

Ordered with the rear diff, noticed in the manual it says to take it easy for 1,000 miles because of that. I thought, in general, you were supposed to run them in care in general but see nothing in the manual that says so other than on the rear diff page. I'm thinking if I hadn't of ordered the rear diff I could have gone straight out of the dealer and onto the Nurburgring. Seen a video of a Disco 5 on there Very Happy

Hoping to take some time off work and go around Scotland, the NC500 maybe when I get it so can get that out of the way. Otherwise, 1,000 miles of little around-town trips will take me forever to clock up. Only issue is knowing when to book off work because I fully expect I won't get my car when it's estimated.
  • stingray
    Wales 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

WBAC offered £41,200 for my three year old HSE three weeks ago. They have since increased the offer twice, and now up to £44,300. I paid £58k new, so about £4,500 depreciation per year, which can't be bad!
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Yes, on diesel usage….when I ordered my first one I had a six mile each way daily commute and monthly hundred mile each way airport runs. New job switched that to 40 miles each way daily. Both great for a diesel.

Now WFH full time, done 4500 miles in the new one in 13 months. Even if that changes to 1-2 days a week in the office, I’m not really getting the benefit I used to from the extra comfort.

Great prices Stingray!

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

stingray wrote:
    WBAC offered £41,200 for my three year old HSE three weeks ago. They have since increased the offer twice, and now up to £44,300. I paid £58k new, so about £4,500 depreciation per year, which can't be bad!

This will make you laugh but that’s not far off the value of my M760Li. £145k list new though got it for just over £100k with discounts plus it’s also 0% APR which helps no end. Obviously knew a V12 powered super limo wasn’t going to hold its value, it’s been about the experience for me.

Still if you want a 24k miles on the clock 3 and a half year old super saloon, let me know. It doesn’t have the ground clearance of a Highlander or overall space, it drinks a bit of petrol as well but it goes like stink and is super comfortable Wink
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

stingray wrote:

We sold an E-Class a couple of weeks ago

WBAC 19700 (going up every 2 weeks since Marchwhen it was 16500 - mad!)
    Motorway got me 21100 from a Merc dealer. Very smooth transaction

Now driving a new D5 D300 HSE
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Two weeks ago, there were stock Highlanders. Last week my wife decided that she could give up the LR badge, but now the stock cars are gone. Toying with a factory order and hoping the Disco value holds up to a reasonable extent.

Now WBACing at an extraordinary £63k+, up another £3k in the last fortnight alone.

• JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

My new one is scheduled for 1st November, so I've been keeping an eye on the WBAC value as well. They emailed a few weeks ago trying the sell now, the price will go down when the new September reg comes out. It didn't and now it's also gone up by £3k.

I wonder if I can make a profit by just parking the old one up for a couple of months after the new one arrives. Rolling with laughter

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

It will all come to an end quick enough. Winners and losers on both sides.

The only option I thought about was someone on here saying he’d sell now, replacing it with a banger and wait year or similar for a LR or some other make.

There again life’s too short to fanny about, who knows what the future holds for any of us.

Anyway, that’s about the only option that makes sense unless money has no meaning.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Prices are crazy at the moment, I ordered a new Sport in June with a hefty discount.

Used Sports from 2019 are listed on he JLR site for just under what I am paying!

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Drive the Deal are still offering 11% off a new D5 d300 R Dynamic.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

You can definitely still get discounts, the snag is the wait time.

Personally now think the high values for used cars will persist well into 2022, as the supply squeeze is clearly unlikely to shift before the latter quarters or even 2023 according to the manufacturers. Not saying that my car will still be worth £60k+, but that it will continue to sit well above its PCP glide path to GFV.

• FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Absolutely agree, if you read the articles around the semiconductor crisis there were capacity issues before the pandemic and it's just made it far worse. It'll take years to resolve this as building a state-of-the-art fab takes around 2 years, there's only a couple of companies that even build and operate them globally because of the cost.

Not even sure that will help car OEM's as they don't use state-of-the-art fabs but older, cheaper processes. They aren't as power or size sensitive as someone that makes chips for mobile phones for instance, also means they get their chips cheaper. The problem is those older processes in old fabs don't tend to get new ones built so it needs people to transition their designs over to newer fabs. Maybe not the car makers but others that are using up the supply. For reference a lot of cars are using chips made on processes that PC's used 15 - 20 years ago I believe.

We'll still be having issues in 2022 and probably well into 2023. Of course, if car makers can strip out enough high-tech features out of their mass-market, lower-end models then they might fix their supply issues before then by just needing fewer chips for a while. Take out the radar and processing for pedestrian collision alert and just fit a soft rubber bumper instead kind of deal? Smile

I wonder if Ford will be bringing the Model T back into production, no chips in that one Very Happy
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Good stuff in that post FastlaneJB. Knew that the car manufacturers used cheap chips, but not that they related to PCs of that age. Makes perfect sense.

Suspect some of the processing in my car (InControlPro) is actually handled by Spectrum or C64 chips, never mind old gen x86 Very Happy

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum