Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I love the Discovery and think there is pretty much nothing to match it for the price, and I think the new dealerships are a great place to be. Mine was in for a service the other week and they set me up with a meeting room as an office for a few hours as I'd had an important meeting come up - that was great and not all brands could manage this even if they wanted to.

BUT, the numerous stupid faults are unacceptable and things like the windscreen being challenged as not a warranty job is absolutely dreadful. I've avoided that one by stone chipping and cracking my way through two windscreens in about 4 months.

on the positive, the rejection of my first one was dealt with well and i had a free car for 6 months to boot.

Two years of ups and downs in a great car - I am still torn on parting with it, but I doubt I would buy another. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one, but go in eyes open and be prepared for it to suck a few extra days out of your life with issues.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

Last edited by Darras on 18th Sep 2021 11:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Not knowing exactly how they set about repairing leaking windscreens my next concern is whether the person actually doing the job will be briefed that the leak is not occurring between glass and seal (the water doesn’t run down the screen) but between bodywork and seal (the headliner is the first to get wet).

I fully expect to get it back and incur a wet seat again after the first downpour.

I suppose the saddest part of being a LR owner is it changes you inextricably into a ‘glass half empty’ sort of guy.

On second thoughts ….make that ‘three quarters empty’
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Mine was repaired by an external windscreen company that they subcontracted the work to.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

When they came out to refit my windscreen the fitter showed me the big gaps where the robot had missed with the sealant. It's no wonder they leak.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

That’s interesting. I have requested the windscreen company come to my house rather than me take the car to the LR dealers. I wanted to get a look myself and chat with the fitter without dealer censorship.
    Roll on Thursday
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Update…so far

Windscreen guys came and removed my screen yesterday. One of the guys has refitted/replaced “dozens’ of D5 windscreens of all MYs, in the last 12months.

He maintained it was defective/poorly applied primer that’s the root cause on many. He showed me the pickling/flaking on my drivers side and the beginning of the same issue on the passenger side. So the sealant wasn’t sticking to the glass anymore.

I am still mystified why I haven’t had any water run down the inside of the screen but it’s defied gravity and run backwards into the cars head liner. I had assumed it must have been poor adhesion of the sealant to the body rather than the glass to allow water in that direction, but the guy assured me the issue was the glass surface adhesion …which they fixed.

Now waiting for a downpour to confirm it. (Might pour a watering canful of water on roof over weekend if I am feeling brave. Confused
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Well mine eventually suffered from this. Went out last week and a puddle in the drivers mat, Felt the usual areas - ooer - and they were damp - double ooer - so off to LR it went to get the screen resealed and a claim submitted for the money back. Needed the car done ASAP due to a house move but they were optimistic it would be settled quick Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Just an update…

National windscreen guys were excellent …and well practised on sorting D5 windscreens! No further leaks even after Arwen.

They did say there was a risk removing the windscreen might cause it to crack requiring a replacement.
    For that reason they feel having it done at dealer might be better as they can garage it while the new screen arrives. They also said often the windscreen camera needs realigning. Better to take it to them as they charge £180 whereas lR charge £300+. That said they suggested I try it out, first.

Maybe I was lucky but the cameras are working fine on mine.

All in all a painless exercise ….why do we always expect the worst?

Probably because on most things LR related it normally is an expensive protracted pain.
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 

Also a small update now I can see mine in daylight - what a messy git they must have used. Evil or Very Mad
    Detritus everywhere on the dash, mud and dirt etc. Scuff marks all over the top of the dash. There are three large scratches on the inside of the windscreen now so LR will be getting a mouthful when its in for its service soon.

Also phoned them yesterday for a price for a battery fitted as it threw up a warning. £327 FFS
    Shocking price when Halfords are only £189.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Why wait? Give them an ear bending now, particularly if it’s Parks, useless bunch imho. Thumbs Up

Cost wise, do you get a plush showroom, Latte coffee and a fitted shirt clad customer representative at Halfrauds? These all cost money you know and it won’t be theirs. Rolling with laughter
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 

well normally I would be a double barrel kinda guy but trying to move house as well as deal with this might push me further down the Woodford bottle Rolling with laughter
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum