Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Water leak

Dropped my sun visor yesterday and a pool of water sitting in the mirror recess dropped on my face.

I confess to an unrepeatable expostulation at yet another reason to hate this car.

The roof padding behind and to the side of the visor (towards the sunroof šŸ¤”) is damp.

Anyone else experienced this or is it another unique fault to be added to the 269,597 (maybe more) D5 fault list?
  • Whippetman
    England 

Sounds like you need the windscreen replaced!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Is that a warranty replacement?
  • Whippetman
    England 

Apparently not in my case as over 3 years old and although I had LR extended warranty itā€™s not covered.

However mine was covered under a good will gesture 100%.
    I think others with the known fault have also been treated the same.
    For me it was the last straw before I got rid of the car..

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

I am in that same exasperated state.

When I can shift this car I will and given the performance of the 2 LR vehicles I have owned and the disgraceful customer service shown me by the local dealership, I will not be buying another LR product.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Me too! I couldnā€™t forgive them for needing new Discs all round on the car. The quote including new pads was Ā£1600 or thereabouts.

Low mileage, used regularly. Told by LRCS they might have considered a warranty claim if it occurred in the first year!

Over all the years Iā€™ve had LRs the customer services is getting worse if that was possible! Might as well throw my money somewhere else when the time comes.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Sell now as they are very short in supply.
    Sold mine to GS , who didnā€™t even test drive, although they can see the history.
    Ordered the BM to my spec and arrived in 8 weeks from factory.
    Gone 15 years of LR ownership,
    Liked the cars but unreliable and very poor dealership down in Somerset.

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Hmmmmm.

Had a look at the windscreen couldnā€™t see any obvious ingress points, but when I got a stepladder out I saw thisā€¦ā€¦

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Not been aware of it before and given the water ingress has only been noticed the last month and itā€™s over my headā€¦.is this too much of a coincidence?
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Can anyone tell me whether the rubber seal surround between car and the windscreen is replaced by the windscreen people or is it an intrinsic part of the car assembly that a new windscreen is sealed over /onto ?

The reason I ask is that I am getting rain water seeping into the car interior head lining.
    Itā€™s getting soaking wet after heavy rain and dripping down onto the driver seatā€¦but itā€™s NOT running down the inside of the windscreen. This suggests to me the water is getting around the car roof / rubber surround sideā€¦ NOT the glass / rubber surround side of the assembly

So who fixes itā€¦windscreen people or LR garage?

Also, there are black plastic trim sections over the roof area and the front part obscures the rubber windscreen surround edge making it impossible to see/access the actual metal to rubber joint where itā€™s leaking. Are these plastic strips removable and replaceable or do they have to be replaced with new sections?

Again would a windscreen operator have to do this to replace or reseal the windscreen?

Hope that makes sense
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

I think There is a service bulletin I had mine done last year for water ingress from the top all done by the dealer but took two days as they had it under lamps to cure something . They have to remove the screen to fix it so you do get a new screen.

Dealer seemed well versed with this problem.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

New extra equipment for discoveries

Two blow heaters to dry out the seat and floor well carpetsā€¦.check

Tarpaulin to prevent more water ingress till LR can fix leaking windscreenā€¦check (nb paint tubs are optional extra alternative to string and duct tape to secure said tarpaulin)

Dealer contested the leaking windscreen (which has been registered worldwide ) was a manufacturing fault and not an extended warranty repairā€¦.until I demanded a written confirmation from LR that the internationally widespread reports of this problem for my model/year on the internet were fake news.

Then they agreed to fix it as a goodwill gesture.hmmm
  • Whippetman
    England 

Why the hell do the stealers put their customers through this?

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Not sure why ā€¦but it seems fairly universal.

Just logged onto another forum and yet another person with exactly the same car as me, is talking about his car in the dealers to fix leaky windscreen. He is also outlining ā€˜otherā€™ issues.

Itā€™s rather sobering and somewhat scarey a bit like looking into a crystal ball to see what next I might be getting on my D5ā€¦.soon.

When I got it I never appreciated it was going to be a Voyage of ā€˜Discoveryā€™. Certainly didnā€™t anticipate so much water would be involved in the voyage . šŸ¤”
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

You must have ticked the ā€œshowerā€ option on the build sheet.

Joking apart, its appalling on what is an expensive car. Get it fixed and get shot of it. Thumbs Up

Thereā€™s plenty of other cars out there a lot better put together, better technology than the Discovery with a a more caring manufacturer and dealership network.

Thereā€™s far too many vehicles developing faults, newer as well as older ones. As soon as mine starts playing up, itā€™s a case of when rather than if, Iā€™ll kick it into touch.

You see all these posts, ā€œI am getting a ā€¦.. or ordered a ā€¦ā€¦ā€ and without raining on their parade, you just want to say get a grip.

I was a Censored fool to have kept with LR. Never again!
  • Whippetman
    England 

Sad,sad,sad but true Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum