↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

I've seen it, touched it and sat in it

I just posted this on the D3/4 site.

I will keep this simple.

Lovely driving position.

Infotainment interface is fast and sexy.

2nd row seats base to floor seems low, ie knees in the air.

I didnt sit in the 3rd row.

Roof seems/feels low sat in the second row.

When you look back from the drivers seat the rear space seems/feels small.

Second row seat base does not rotate forward as current model.

To get into 3rd row is not as easy as D3/4 see above.

The seats do fold flat but this is a two stage operation on the vehicles I played with, first press of button drops the sat back onto the seat base, a second press forces the seat back down to the flat position. When I asked why? I was told that position 1 is ok for the leather, however position 2 is not so good as it may damage the seats Shocked

Tail Gate is a faf and one would get bored waiting for the seat/shelf thing to lower. I also noted that the tail gate does not lift that high and the corners of the tailgate are very sharp and will cause head injuries. Tall people will suffer.

Its stunning in the flesh.

On the factory tour the D5 is being built along side the FFRR and RRS with the same ally sub-frames etc so basically the D5 is a FFRR/RRS with a different body.

The D5 now has all the gizmos that the FFRR had a few years ago.

All in all I'm a little disappointed that the D5 is no longer a special unique vehicle its just a FFRR/RRS wearing a Discovery badge Big Cry

Will I buy one? YES
  • bill wright
    United Kingdom 

Good report Andrew. Plenty of info to get my teeth into. Laughing

On the tour, can you get up close enough to take measurements? I need a couple of basic measurements (width of the opening in the front passenger door and one other for disabled access).

Bill Wright Very Happy

MY15 D4 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone

Use what talents you possess, the woods will be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 

Yes take your tape Thumbs Up and camera Smile
  • bill wright
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Andrew Thumbs Up

Use what talents you possess, the woods will be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best
  • nickb
    United Kingdom 

Were you allowed to take any photos? I have a factory tour tomorrow - looking forward to seeing the car in the flesh!
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 

Yes
  • bill wright
    United Kingdom 

A well worthwhile visit to Lode Lane. Seen it, sat in it had the technical explanations and met the Project Manager who is also Project Manager for the New Defender. He was very tight lipped about that except to say that it had moved a long way technically from the Concept Car shown a couple of years ago.

The Disco looked very good - the two models on display were HSE and HSE Lux and we were able to clamber all over them. The seats do fold flat but when I asked about it, the guide said that it was advisable to only have them flat for a short while because of possible distortion of the side support padding.

Tail gate corners are lethal for six footers and above and if the car is approached down slope by shorter folk. The vehicle can be raised and lowered from switches inside the tailgate when the engine is switched off ( for me that's a plus). The event platform stays up when the tailgate is opened to prevent loose loads falling out and is then deployed electrically (or manually if you don't know about the electrical thingy Laughing )

The centre console between the front seats is very reminiscent of the RRS - in fact I asked the guide if it was the same and he reckoned "almost".

First 600 cars will be First Edition to UK customers (plus 400 going overseas) and then other orders in the Dealers' priority. I was told this by the Project Manager who said that the Factory would group up the different models to make production line supply more logical. This was reiterated by the chap who gave the theatre presentation at the end of our visit.

No definite date for production yet. They made 10 on the line today but these are still test models and can't be sold. The testing will go on for a bit longer then the cars for the Press will be built and then full production will start. They are aiming to catch the 1 March 17 registration but that's not a given.

It's a very good looking motor and I would very much like to have one. SWMBO came up with me and she was very glad she did. I reckon it'll be a pushover Laughing

Loads of interesting stats from the Guide who took us around the factory. Not least, one vehicle every 1 Min 38 Secs off the line. 1600 vehicles a day are produced (average) and 260 transporters leave the factory each day. 80% go to export docks. Thumbs Up

• PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Thanks Andrew & Bill, excellent information. Thumbs Up

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • Tim in Scotland
    United Kingdom 

I find it hard to believe that during developement at least one of the drivers or technicians working on the developement mules didn't bang his head on the upper tailgate when it was opened......... Simply unbelievable that LR developes a new car with such a design fault. Also there have been endless complaints on RRS that the L494 rear seats cannot be folded totally flat yet in D5 they haven't addressed that issue. On the L320 RRS the rear seats folded beautifully, had a "secret" compartment under the cushion/squab and you had a nice flat floor with the seat cushion folded vertically to protect the driver and front passenger from heavy items in the rear sliding forwards............ L494 has neither feature and it appears that D5 also has a useless but very large boot unless you are happy to deform the seat backs by placing heavy weights on them............ Sorry JLR but the Chinese, Swedes, Japanese and Germans wouldn't let that passed the design stage but your design team are perfectly happy to give a 3rd rate set up.............. Wonder how long it will be before Lakeland Land Rover comes up with a "commercial" version with a nice flat floor? I have been waiting to see what the next Defender will be like but if LR cannot design out such stupid and painful things in this day and age what hope is there of having some common sense design in the next Defender.
  • bill wright
    United Kingdom 

I'm hoping that as these are early edition test models, that they'll be able to alter the press tools to eliminate the problem of the sharp tailgate. I've just checked on my D4 and the it has virtually the same problem but it's just a little higher.

As for the seats folding, it does look like a bit of sloppy design work that appears to be on the car to accommodate the electric folding gizmo. Rolling Eyes

Bill Thumbs Up

• J77
    Scotland 

Just as well us guys that are going for SEs have manual seat fold Thumbs Up

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • bill wright
    United Kingdom 

What I failed to pick-up, until I printed off and read my order spec, is that the front seats are electrically operated.

INTERIOR CHOICES Ebony/Ebony Grained Leather - Electric Front Seats

• J77
    Scotland 

Yeh, full electric front seats.

• bill wright
    United Kingdom 

Bonus over my current D4 SE Tech Thumbs Up

• J77
    Scotland 

Everything on it's a bonus over my current SE Laughing

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum