Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Jemoss
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Calibrate Transfer box (clunk when turning)

Hi all,

Our disco has developed a slight knock/clunk when pulling off from a junction while turning. I have read on some forums that this is likely due to the transfer box needing to be calibrated (something to do with how the transfer box engages and dis-engages while driving). I think this will be the case as i have put the 4x4i screen on that shows the status of the centre diff and the clunk coincides with it changing status.

Interestingly this clunk only occured after some software updates at the dealer so suspect the calibration needed to be done and has been missed.

Does anyone know if there is a sequence/procedure to do the calibration manually at home? Or will it require a visit to the dealer?? Sounds like the D4 could be done manually so wondering if the D5 is the same?
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Mine did this, first time they replaced the rear e-diff as they found bits of metal in the oil. Then 6 months later it came back, then the centre diff and e-diff were calibrated (together with oil changes) and so far the issue hasn't come back. This was done by the dealer under warranty.

Does yours have an e-Diff? As there is another member on AULRO who has this issue but hasn't got an e-Diff.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Jemoss
    United Kingdom 

Hi Ron,

Ah thats interesting. We havent got the e-diff so suspecting it must just be the central diff/transfer box? I'm calling the local dealer today so will update if they can calibrate and if this fixes the issue. Was hoping to be able to do the calibration myself if possible to save the hassle!
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Fingers crossed that fixes yours, let me know.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Scottlw
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

I have the same issue and has been in twice, just for the dealer to say they can't hear it. Would be great to know if you get a resolution by recalibrating.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I had this, and did an oil change and recalibration. Problem solved for now (2000 Kms)

Did it all myself even though d5 still under warranty because the dealer here is not the best, and didn't really want to start arguments with them over something so small
  • Jemoss
    United Kingdom 

Thanks NEBC100,

I'd like to do it myself ideally too - out of interest how do you do the re-calibation yourself?
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I did the recalibration using a Autel MK808 diagnostic device that I have.

I THINK that the GAP IID device can also do it though. (One of the few things that the GAP can do)
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

The main dealer is fitting a replacement transfer box on my MY17 D5 some time soon.

Should it need recalibrating? Is it normal procedure to do it? Or is it something that needs me to ’remind them’ to do it?
  • Jemoss
    United Kingdom 

Hi all,

Just to follow this up. I took our disco to the local independent Land Rover dealer. They replaced the transfer box oil and did the transfer box calibration and all sorted now!!

They told me they have to update a load of software first?? And the calibration took 45 mins but either way all fixed!!
  • Bigwhiteone
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Yulong White

Interesting. I’ve had the exact same problem with my car for over two years. Been in and out of the dealership but they say they cannot replicate the problem? I’ve just written to them linking these experiences in the hope they will follow up and look at calibration and oil change ?
  • Jemoss
    United Kingdom 

Hi Bigwhiteone,

I know what you mean. It is hard to replicate. Every time i took the mechanic out to show them the noise i couldn't make it do it.

Interestingly we changed the transfer box oil and calibrated it at around 50,000 miles and that fixed the issue.

I have just booked the disco in for its next service with the main dealer (the oil change and calibration was done by an independant). The main dealer said a note on their system has suggested that now our car has done over 50,000 miles they need to replace the transfer box oil. Told them not to worry as has been replaced recently but got me thinking maybe the oil degrading causes the issue hence the note on their system? Unless the transfer oil is routine for the 50k service.

Would defo recommend trying the oil change and calibration though.
  • Bigwhiteone
    United Kingdom 

Definitely going to chase them again. I’ve just written to the Service Manager at my local main dealership. My car is out of its 3 year warranty (2018 model), but because I have been bleating on about the clunking they have a record and a written trail of my complaints. Apparently JLR have a 80% contribution rule (subject to mileage etc) and the anniversary for my car is March 2022. It’s only got 34k on the clock so hopefully following your steps I might get some satisfaction? If not, the VW dealership next door to Land Rover have a good deal on the Touareg R line V6 at the moment (although deliver timescale is shocking). It’s so frustrating because I’ve had, from new a Disco 3,4 and 5. I’d go back instantly to the 4 if they still made them. In my opinion, the disco 5 is unnecessarily complicated and fails to satisfy the basics that both the 3 and the 4 delivered. Apologies for the rant – hey Ho hopefully my dealership will find the solution.
  • Bigwhiteone
    United Kingdom 

Huge Thanks

Huge thanks to Jemoss and others on this thread for sharing experiences and clues on solving the problem. My car has just gone back to the dealer for the umpteenth time, it’s just over three years old and I have been complaining bitterly to my dealership since purchasing the car new. I picked up all the salient points and experiences shared on this thread and put them together in a comprehensive email to my dealership asking that they (once again) try and address the problem. I can now confirm that after two days in the dealership they appear to have found the problem and rectified it.

It transpires that it is a known fault on Range Rovers (Sport in particular)for which there is a JLR fix. A Range Rover automatically comes with a high and low ratio transfer box; with many Disco’s it’s an optional extra and has to be specified? Therefore if you complain about the clunking etc on a Disco it doesn’t automatically trigger their fault diagnostics on the system, you have to tell them that you have a high/low transfer box fitted and they will treat it as a Range Rover Sport - which as many on this thread shared involves draining the transfer box, new oil, driving the car, drain the transfer box again refilling and then recalibrating the transfer box. Cost me £300 because the car is out of warranty. However, because I have been complaining since the car was new (written records etc) JLR have agreed to make a ex gratia payment to cover the cost.

So once again huge thanks to everyone. Just goes to show the power of sharing
  • Jemoss
    United Kingdom 

Thats great news. Glad you got the problem resolved and even better that JLR covered the cost - theforum certainly is a handy source of info/support!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum