Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mikecamb1970
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Ext Warranty-discrepancy with LRAssist & my.LR dashboard

Hi

So this morning I had a horrendous screeching sound whilst driving - the sort of noise that makes pedestrians stop and look up to see where the noise is coming from Crying or Very sad

Called LR Assist - my car is out of warranty they said, so no cover. Called the supplying dealer and they also said no extended warranty.

From my knowledge when I purchased the used car, the supplying dealer had given me a full 3 year extended warranty and this is backed up by the information that is showing on my.landrover.dashboard (pasted below)

This extended warranty was also confirmed when I had spoken with a local dealership about warranty extension options.
    Furthermore, I have had no renewal docs through for the warranty - otherwise I would have extended it.

I can see that I will be in with a battle tomorrow morning when I call the CarCare plan people to argue that there is a warranty extension in place. Anyone had any similar discrepancies with what is on the my.landrover.dashboard website and what dealer/LR Assist say?.

Thanks for any feedback.
  • Whippetman
    England 

When I bought my17 I got the standard LR 2 year extended which I now understand is only standard LR 12 months.
    Surely 3 year is only on new vehicles?
    Good luck!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’ve had discrepancies on LRs site in relation to subscriptions to secure/protect and maps on a vehicle purchased from new. Showed one thing, then a longer expiry date. Reverted to the shorter date. I never moaned, but then I’ve not got a problem with something potentially going to cost me an arm and a leg.

I like most on here would doubt the 3 year warranty on a used vehicle. I’ve never known one so long apart from a new vehicle.

Care Care Plan aka LR warranty will probably deny liability and put you back to the dealership to sort out. In truth, your contract is with them not CCP, so I’d go easy with CCP.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Can you not remember what warranty the dealer gave you when you purchased the used D5. It was generally 2 years on used, 3 on new., then I understand only 1 on used. I would find the original documents before you contact anybody, I doubt you would have any success with a claim unless your written warranty period matched the dashboard dates.
    With reference to the loud screeching, it could be something minor as in idler pulley and consequently relatively inexpensive to sort.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • mikecamb1970
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Thank you for all of your comments,

I understand that 3 year warranty on used cars is unusual which is why I asked my local (not the supplying) dealership the question about expiry and they confirmed it was ok until April 2022.
    The evidence from the dashboard also confirms April 2022. If it was earlier, I don't understand why I was not sent any renewal documents.

Nonetheless, I do feel this is a case that I will not win. Hopefully I can buy a warranty from them to cover me for the future.

In terms of the cause of the noise, I think it may have been a stone stuck between brakes and the shield that caused a grinding noise. I've driven it again and there was no noise so hope it just dislodged itself.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

When I bought an 18month old ex LR vehicle I was given a LR 2year warranty. A month before this was due to expire I received an invitation to extend the warranty for another year, at my expense.

I had a noise like you described, which didn’t always appear for every journey. I hope your noise has gone…but if it comes back, check the idler tensioner as harry said. That’s what mine was.

Also be careful about the LR extended warranty. It’s double the price of third party insurers and when it comes to a claim it doesn’t cover exactly everything it purports to do in the blurb.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, I took out a LR warranty aka Car Care Plan. It is just over £1k per year. Warranty Direct, was half that price, it does seems to cover more.

I went with LR because you simply take it to the main dealer and they sort out the claim with LR Warranty. Plus if it’s not covered, there seems to be more of a tendency to make a contribution.

If you don’t buy it after the expiration of the manufacturers warranty, you have to have the car inspected at your cost before they’ll cover it.

WD, on the other hand will only let you take it to a LR main dealer if you originally purchased from them. Otherwise it’s take it to garage they approve, which could be Joe Blogs down the road and you have the paperwork to contend with.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Darras
    You’re a great source of information for Forum members Thumbs Up

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

No problem. Thumbs Up

I went into it with both.

I remember having a prolonged dialogue with WD. I purchased the car new from a LR main dealership 400 miles away from me. They would let me take it back to that specific dealership, but not even one in the same group that was nearer.

I argued that if I could nominate one main dealership closer to me in those circumstances then I’d take their insurance, but they wouldn’t budge on it. Just said they’d take my comments on board.

I didn’t want to take the car to Joe Blogs garage if it was needing major surgery, then have the headache of sorting out the authorisation and paperwork. WD was also a new revamped company and there wasn’t any decent feedback on how they were performing.

With the LR warranty, apart from the cost and what seems to be a more limited warranty in some respects, then if you have a problem, you simply take it into the main dealership wherever you are. They sort of authorisation and paperwork and as I said, if the problem isn’t covered, LR seem to be more sympathetic to your plight and make a one off contribution.

If you take their add on, discounted, AA breakdown cover you also retain the facility to press the breakdown button on your car and connect to LR who will arrange recovery etc. So for me, there was a few pluses.

I did toy with the idea of changing the car, but there’s precious little discounts and you tie yourself into a contract to buy at a RRP rate, with little protection on what you’d get for your car a year or so down the road. In other words, they could shaft you rotten.

Add to that the electric dilemma in a couple of years and I can’t see it’s a wise decision. I am a cash buyer rather than HP or PCP. Better get a good warranty and sit on your hands for now. Too much money casing too few goods is always a recipe for disaster. Think I was being quoted £20k to change atm. Not an arm and a leg, but it could be wasted money. Each to their own that said, just my logic.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum